Gobblers on the limb

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
dsunday

Re: Gobblers on the limb

Post by dsunday »

Lots of excellent info! Thanks
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

killerstump wrote:
guesswho wrote:It tends to cause him to stay on the limb longer. The thought is he will stay in the tree wanting to see that hen on the ground Before flying down. I don't have proof whether that's true or not, but I have seen gobblers in the past stay in the tree for long periods of time while being called to.

But that's not the main reason I don't call to him on the limb. Most places I hunt allow all day hunting so I'm in no hurry to kill him. I learned many years ago my success rate goes up if I wait until he pitches down and get an idea of what direction he's wanting to go, then reposition, sometimes several times to get in a spot he's heading towards naturally and I think he will be comfortable coming to. I don't care how good anyone is or thinks they are on a call, if your East of him and he is wanting to go North your odds of calling him are pretty slim.

If I hunted where there was a noon cut off I might would consider changing Tatics and call to them on the limb occasionally. But I have a feeling it wouldn't take me long to realize I just need to go back to my old ways and maybe speed up just a tad.
With the noon cutoff as is here in Virginia. Would the calling to while on the limb determine how he may me gobbling weather he's hitting it every time he takes a breath or just an occasional gobble. Of course I don't figure would say much anyway but what actions of his would you be looking for to dictate weather you called or not?
they start all day hunting half way through the season don't they. if the allowed all day hunting all season I would definitely hunt va.
El Sicario
phutch30

Post by phutch30 »

Depends. Does he have hens? are they vocal? How close am I to him

If Im close and he has hens Im gunna crank on him to try to get him to bail out b4 hens do and come round me up. If he has vocal hens I will call to them with cuts and Kee Kee to get them to come to me and drag him over. If he's alone I don't think it matters if hes interested. Soft or hard he should come.

I honestly don't think u can over call a workable bird. Now if the bird your trying to work has been pressured that's different. I find if they don't come in and theyr alone, theres probably a reason other than the call. Henned up toms are always a toss up. He most likely wont leave them, so your best bet is to get them to come over and drag him with them.

I live to hear them, so I call a lot, if I don't kill him oh well. I go find another. If I was land restricted I would prob use more passive techniques.

Another thing to remember is the same bird can be gobbling non stop one morn and pretty quite the next. Todays impossible bird could be easy peasy tomorrow
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

I've always heard about this staying in a tree longer stuff but have never seen it. I have seen them come in though when it was so dark I had to wait a few minutes to shoot. With that said, I rarely get the opportunity to setup on a roosted bird. If I do and am in a good setup and have the advantage I'm sending some dirty words to him. If he has hens even more so. Worked more times than not and if he doesn't come in then it's not like he's ruined for the day.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

guesswho wrote:It tends to cause him to stay on the limb longer. The thought is he will stay in the tree wanting to see that hen on the ground Before flying down. I don't have proof whether that's true or not, but I have seen gobblers in the past stay in the tree for long periods of time while being called to.

But that's not the main reason I don't call to him on the limb. Most places I hunt allow all day hunting so I'm in no hurry to kill him. I learned many years ago my success rate goes up if I wait until he pitches down and get an idea of what direction he's wanting to go, then reposition, sometimes several times to get in a spot he's heading towards naturally and I think he will be comfortable coming to. I don't care how good anyone is or thinks they are on a call, if your East of him and he is wanting to go North your odds of calling him are pretty slim.

If I hunted where there was a noon cut off I might would consider changing Tatics and call to them on the limb occasionally. But I have a feeling it wouldn't take me long to realize I just need to go back to my old ways and maybe speed up just a tad.
I agree with Guesswho on this one...I've learned my lesson and seldom call to a roosted bird anymore. Many years ago when I used to call to roosted birds a regular basis, I caused a few birds to stay in the tree for a long time and never really improved my success rate. Now with all that said, I did call to a roosted bird this season and ended up killing him quick. I roosted the bird the evening before and the next morning I knew exactly where I was going. I got there plenty early and the bird was gobbling his head off well before any hint of daylight. I couldn't help myself and had to call to him some. He flew off the roost and came straight to me and my gun barrel. i assumed he was by himself with no hens but after I shot and was inspecting my prize, some hens started yelping down in the woods where this gobbler had been roosted. He apparently was so worked up he flew down and came to loudest mouth he heard that morning. Now I know this is the exception...but if i ever get set-up on another crazy gobblin loud mouth tom on the roost i will definitely be tempted to do some calling. I think its called "reading the bird"...........
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I just match whatever the hens are doing. If they're silent, I'm silent (up to a point...I like to tree yelp and I cannot lie). If they're crankin', crankin'. Most of the farms I hunt are too small and open to reposition after flydown while the birds are still on the property, so sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

I call to th on the roost not much but enough to get his attention worked for me for 28 years tagged out every year and I hunt public ground easterns shot one long beard 2 days ago at 5.47am called to him on the limb
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Over calling to a bird in a tree will make him stay put, especially one that has been hunted. I have also seen them fly like bats out of hell away from the tree after being called. I like to let one know I'm on the ground with a light cluck or two, especially early season. If he answers, fine. If he shuts up, better, especially on public land. Nothing worse than being on public land in an area surrounded by roads and have a blabbermouth in the tree. I have had too many birds fly down in range to where I was to not try it. If there's a hen on the other side, nothing is lost by calling. There are times that I won't call, especially to one who has had every Tom, Dick and Harry try to kill him. I think back to the day before the season when I was scouting late afternoon many seasons ago. A bird was free gobbling on his way to roost. He walked within 20 yards of me gobbling his butt off with a near ground dragging broom for a beard. I saw him fly up into a pine in a small creek bottom. I backed out at dark and was in with him in the morning, opening day, 80 yards from the tree in the dark. I didn't hear a peep. After the crows started up, I lightly clucked and nothing was heard in response. A good hour after fly down time, I had enough. I walked to the tree only to see the sob fly away when I got within 10 feet. He must've had a long memory.

Two seasons ago, I missed an opening day bird. In the same area, the next year, I either missed him or another bird. So there were either two or one bird I shot at and missed twice. Opening day this year, both flew down, got together, and henned-up immediately. I went back to them a couple of more times and nada. I turned them over to a buddy. He had one in range and waited for him to walk behind a tree. The bird decided to fly off. No shot. A week later he got under him in the tree. He clucked once and the bird parachuted to within 10 yards. Having already missed one, he didn't shoot. He is still kicking himself in the butt for not shooting.

Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I killed 2 of my AL birds this past season with a single 3 note tree yelp in answer to a gobble. That was all it took to get them to fly down on my side of the tree and come looking for me. If I can get set up on a roosted bird, I give him one tree yelp, and always do it in answer to a gobble. If there are hens there and they are calling a lot, I will call more too. But the odds of success go down then.

I've never noticed a single tree yelp make one stay in the tree longer, but even if it does I've got time to wait. My belief is that I can't make him fly down towards me unless I've called to him. This tactic is what I use in AL and GA. One thing I love about the Midwest is that I can call aggressively to the turkeys and many will respond to that.
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

you guys way over think this. They are just turkeys, if they dont want to come they wont, if they do they will, calling or not to roosted birds makes no difference. Mike
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I always call to a roosted bird. I want him thinking about me before he flies down. If he's got hens around, I call as much or more than they do, to compete for his attention. I've never noticed calling causing a bird to stay in the tree longer, but I don't know how others call, so it's hard to say what might happen if someone else is doing the calling. I call like I call.

And I think a lot of things come into play as far as what causes a bird to act how he acts when he comes off the roost - some of which we just don't know, and are just assuming, based on our very narrow perspectives. I'm convinced (rightly or wrongly) that a bird's personality and place in the pecking order has an awful lot to do with it.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

hawglips wrote:I always call to a roosted bird. I want him thinking about me before he flies down. If he's got hens around, I call as much or more than they do, to compete for his attention. I've never noticed calling causing a bird to stay in the tree longer, but I don't know how others call, so it's hard to say what might happen if someone else is doing the calling. I call like I call.

And I think a lot of things come into play as far as what causes a bird to act how he acts when he comes off the roost - some of which we just don't know, and are just assuming, based on our very narrow perspectives. I'm convinced (rightly or wrongly) that a bird's personality and place in the pecking order has an awful lot to do with it.
This is pretty much what I do as well. I don't really have a set way of doing it. I kinda like to feel the bird out. Gobbling doesn't always mean they are interested. I've had them answer every sound I make in the tree then fly the complete opposite way. I've also tree yelped and never had them answer me and then they fly down right beside the tree I'm sitting next to. I don't think there is an absolute. I just know the closer I am, the less I call. That's just my own rule of thumb because I have the tendency to over call at times.
Meleagris

Post by Meleagris »

I've only been chasing these critters for 37 years so I still have a lot to learn. I like to only give a roosted gobbler a few soft clucks or maybe a soft yelp if I'm fairly close in my setup. During my learning curve I have called to some in the tree and have had them sit in the tree until 9:00. (Which makes perfect sense because I've seen them sit there until the hen walked under them before pitching down). Remember it's nature's way for her to go to him. The only exception would be when the terrain doesn't allow for a close setup. Then I may give him a little more calling. I think it's usually better to let him hit the ground before I call much.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Setting up improperly on a roosted gobbler is bad
Calling too early to a roosted gobbler is bad.
Calling too early and too much to a roosted gobbler is really bad.
Calling from a bad set-up, too early, and too much is really, really bad.
Calling at the right time, but too much is usually bad.
Calling at the right time and the right amount can be good.
Calling at the right time, the right amount, and in combination with other natural turkey sounds can be really good.
If you are not good at judging any of the above, wait 'til he flies down.
Even if you are really good at judging all of the above, if you are on the wrong gobbler, you will still lose anyway.
Even if you are really bad at judging all of the above, if you are on the right gobbler, you may still win anyway.
The End
Meleagris

Post by Meleagris »

Awesome answer!!! Couldn't agree more!!!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I treat them on the limb much the same as on the ground. I get where I think he might want to go or make the best of the thicket we are in then because I like to hear myself call and I like to hear him gobble I lay it down. Call way too much, way too often and way too loud. It works sometimes and he flies down and comes or he sits and gobbles or flies down and goes away. If he sits in a tree too late I have been known to give the silent treatment. Sometimes it is deadly. I usually do what I like and that is calling and making him gobble. Sometimes this does not get him in gun range for hours or days and I really get anxious about killing him then I give more credence to several of the above mentioned tactics. Hunting the way Guesswho described has been very successful for me and I do that when I really feel the need to kill one.
ChiefO

Post by ChiefO »

I know this is an old post but I felt the need to add. To me, I compare turkey hunting to fly fishing in two ways. The first is humorous in an old adage:

"There he stands, clad in more gear than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain the size of a pea, and getting licked in the process."

The same could be said of us turkey hunters looking for that edge we feel in gear that we feel we need.

The second adage is: "match the hatch"

What worked one day isn't guaranteed money the next. Execute to what the birds dictate. It's their world, we're just just trying to emulate it.

This is strictly from a young man with many experiences yet to refine his tactics and strategy. Truth be known, I just like playing the game, and my mis-calculations only fuel my desire to be better.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

guesswho wrote: May 12th, 2017, 10:26 am
Gobbler wrote:Ya but lately I have hunted with guys that like to tree yelp and let the gobbler know they are there. I think we over think turkey hunting.
Like tree yelping from the ground.
:LMAO: :LMAO:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

2Shooter wrote: October 27th, 2017, 7:20 am
guesswho wrote: May 12th, 2017, 10:26 am
Gobbler wrote:Ya but lately I have hunted with guys that like to tree yelp and let the gobbler know they are there. I think we over think turkey hunting.
Like tree yelping from the ground.
:LMAO: :LMAO:
WHUT???? All y'all guys can't throw yer yelps to make dem sound like deys inna tree????
Yee Haw-1.jpg
Yee Haw-1.jpg (14.26 KiB) Viewed 10222 times
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Hey I like to rattle and grunt at bucks form up in a tree so why shouldn't I tree yelp at turkeys from the ground ? That is if I knew how to tree yelp but I only know how to lost yelp :dontknow:
cmbostc

Post by cmbostc »

Let's change the season to fall, what strategies would you employ then? Same or different?
Chris Brumfiel Turkey Calls
Gobble, Gobble... "BOOM"!

Check us out on Facebook at Chris Brumfiel, Turkey Calls and More or on our Facebook group page, Full Strut.

Our new website is chrisbrumfielturkeycallsandmor.godaddysites.com
cmbostc

Post by cmbostc »

I would love feedback on this one! Anybody?

Check us out on Facebook at Chris Brumfiel, Turkey Calls and More or on our Facebook group page, Full Strut.

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

If I fall hunted, which I don't. If I heard birds on the limb I'd probably make a bee line to them and try to bust them up. Not that it is the right thing to do, I'd just do it because of hear say. Then I'd try to call them back to another location. Keep in mind I'm fairly clueless in th Spring, and even more so in the fall.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: November 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm If I fall hunted, which I don't. If I heard birds on the limb I'd probably make a bee line to them and try to bust them up. Not that it is the right thing to do, I'd just do it because of hear say. Then I'd try to call them back to another location. Keep in mind I'm fairly clueless in th Spring, and even more so in the fall.
As a general rule, we don't hit the woods until well after flydown time, 08:30 - 09:00. But, if they are still in the trees, busting them up & calling them back close to the roost site is the way to go.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

cmbostc

Post by cmbostc »

Priceless info. guesswho and HunterGKS. Thanks!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”