100 yard buckshot

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

100 yard buckshot

Post by howl »

What y'all reckon? Doable?
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 100 yard buckshot

Post by OLE RASPY »

Oh yea it's doable. I've shot a buck @210 yard one time.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Will the TSS buckshot kill past 40.5 yards? :dontknow: :roll:
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

2Shooter wrote: September 26th, 2017, 6:24 am Will the TSS buckshot kill past 40.5 yards? :dontknow: :roll:
YES, but barely, where it is most effective is inside 22 yards. :LMAO:
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I have patterned some 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz TSS 4mm to 60. It has plenty of pattern density and penetration energy for that distance. I would think you would need to shoot a fast load of 1 3/4oz of maybe 4.5-5mm to get acceptable density and penetration at 100. Still be a stretch I think.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Experimenting would sure eat up a pound of TSS right quick. I bet if I wait long enough someone will beat me to trying.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

howl wrote: September 26th, 2017, 10:30 am Experimenting would sure eat up a pound of TSS right quick. I bet if I wait long enough someone will beat me to trying.
Yep!!!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I have received a report of 90 yard kill with #BBs. There aren't many people shooting TSS for deer, but 100 yds is likely the first time someone who has it choked right tries it, IMO.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: September 25th, 2017, 4:34 pm What y'all reckon? Doable?
Apex has been developing varmint loads with TSS

I have spoken with Joseph Wirth on his coyote kills. He is working on his 100th kill in 2017. He started jan1st on 1. He has Coyote Underground on Facebook. Very knowledgeable and uses MFK mouth calls to howl them in. :LMAO:

Coyote hunters all think bigger is better.

Just like the waterfowl hunters taking a while to see the benefits of hevishot when they developed their fowl loads.

Just like turkey hunters when tss was first being used way back in the day.

Hurdles to overcome now is more of the mind and not so much the load.

Once varmint hunters see the lethality of a #-4-7 for coyotes, they will be believers.

I feel that 100 yards is very doable with tss. Right payload and the correct choke will accomplish this sooner than later.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

After seeing what 7s do to coyotes at 60yds. I could see the development of a 100yd buckshot load be very possible.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Are we talking about for deer or coyotes? Coyotes to 100 would be much easier.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

hoobilly wrote: September 27th, 2017, 10:11 am
Varmint loads with TSS were developed way before those fellows ever heard of TSS....

;)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hawglips wrote: September 29th, 2017, 8:49 am
hoobilly wrote: September 27th, 2017, 10:11 am
Varmint loads with TSS were developed way before those fellows ever heard of TSS....

;)
well no doubt about that there.. TSS hass been around for a lonnnnnng time. I had to redo my Refuge account back in 2005, and TSS was used way before then by many fowlers deer , varmint hunters etc. matter of fact I wanted to load for waterfowl way back then, but had no one to help me learn how to load them. Thankfully Shooter has helped me a ton with my MecJr's and getting it set up.

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Federal has a heavyweight 00 load I see. Only nine pellets, though. I'm not sure how factory would work out. Actual buckshot is what the reg.s might say, but actual buckshot is too big. That's what I got from prior discussions on here, anyway.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: September 29th, 2017, 4:30 pm Federal has a heavyweight 00 load I see. Only nine pellets, though. I'm not sure how factory would work out. Actual buckshot is what the reg.s might say, but actual buckshot is too big. That's what I got from prior discussions on here, anyway.
#4 TSS would be better than the heavyweight 00 buck. a lot more pellets and man it would eat.

#2 TSS would be less pellets of course but man its a deer or coyote and I think would be overkill

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

4B is .24" T is .20". #2s are .177". My guess for what to try to get away with is T shot or 5mm. Yeah, it's overkill but I wouldn't expect anyone to mic your shot. They don't do that anywhere do they?

And wouldn't you know it. Bleedin' Hevi Shot puts Dead Coyote and T on the side of their shells. :roll:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: September 29th, 2017, 8:00 pm 4B is .24" T is .20". #2s are .177". My guess for what to try to get away with is T shot or 5mm. Yeah, it's overkill but I wouldn't expect anyone to mic your shot. They don't do that anywhere do they?

And wouldn't you know it. Bleedin' Hevi Shot puts Dead Coyote and T on the side of their shells. :roll:
:LMAO:

Federal has the name.. with their 18 density tss they are coming out with, I can imagine them also dealing into the other markets

seriously tho I would like to try the Hevi X (10) waterfowl loads on some ducks this season

Onlyzen

Post by Onlyzen »

IMO, buckshot, no matter how tight the pattern, is strictly a short-range proposition -- say no more than maybe 35-40 yards, and that only with OO or OOO shot in a tight-choked gun. The inescapable fact is that even though you are talking about several projectiles, you are talking about small, light projectiles -- round ones, to boot -- that quickly lose velocity and energy. Personally, I use buckshot only in tight cover at ranges of 25 yards and less, and I stay ready to shoot fast and plenty. Even my friend, who has earned the nickname "Buckshot Willie" ,uses buckshot exclusively for deer in a fullchoke Browning BPS, hunts from a treestand, and kills numerous deer per year, sticks to 30 yards maximum. He says the secret to hunting deer with buckshot is "know where to set your stand!"
rmc

Post by rmc »

howl wrote: September 29th, 2017, 8:00 pm 4B is .24" T is .20". #2s are .177". My guess for what to try to get away with is T shot or 5mm. Yeah, it's overkill but I wouldn't expect anyone to mic your shot. They don't do that anywhere do they?

For what its worth: That old time analog system of shot sizes does have a smidgeon of logic.
To determine the actual diameter of Numbered shot sizes, simply subtract the number shot size from the diameter of the smallest letter shot size while maintaining the decimal place. For example the smallest letter shot "B" is .17" in diameter. So to find the nominal diameter of #2 shot, subtract 2 from 17. Maintain the decimal place for a nominal .15" for # 2 shot. :scratch:

Return to “Gun Talk”