Day 18 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 18 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Grandpa Scott’s Woods 09/18/2017 A.M.

I got set down at 07:25, temp 63, calm, & sli9ghtly overcast. At 0751, I heard a fox barking to my left. I knew where it was & also knew I would probably spook it before I got a shot as the leaves were pretty thick & the ground covered with branches, noisy. I decided to wait &watch, hoping it would show itself or move to the corner trees. It kept barking &, at 08:07, I saw some branches moving & it appeared that the fox was moving towards the corner trees. That was it.

At 08:46, an unspotted fawn moved past the opening along the outside of the woods near the beans. At 09:20, I walked through the west section, back around the south side & into the east section working my way to the far side & then back to my spot. I headed in to lunch with the temp up to 75 at 10:50.

Aunt Marilyn’s North Woods 09/18/2017 P.M.

It was sprinkling when I left the diner at 12:20 & still going when I got the barn at 12:30. I waited until it had almost stopped before heading into the woods at 12:47 with a temp of 67. I sat in a different spot than usual as I had seen 2 foxes going through the area last time out. At 01:17 I heard a red squeaking behind me & ignored it. At 01:44 I spotted a fox moving up & over the ridge. Guess where it was……. Right where I usually sit. Obviously this bushy wasn’t on the same page of the playbook that I was.

It had been raining off & on all afternoon, more on than off but I was sitting under a large buckeye tree & stayed completely dry. I did learn 1 thing about sitting under a buckeye tree when they’re dropping….Even though they are considered soft mast; they are hard enough to hurt when they hit you on top of the head after falling 30+ feet!!!!

I called it quits at 03:00.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”