Forgive me for sharing, but lead still works...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
toasty

Forgive me for sharing, but lead still works...

Post by toasty »

Forgive me for sharing, but lots of guys I know really well on this forum that would be interested in this story.

Hunting with kids hunting is way better than hunting with adults. My 13 year old daughter, my 17 year old son, and myself left home at 4:30 on Friday morning. Took much longer to get to our area due to rough roads, but we finally rolled in about an hour after I wanted to. We unloaded the 4 wheeler and motorcycle and started up the mountain. The roads were so rough, my son crashed his dirt bike and we had to ditch his dirt bike at the bottom. I needed him to hold onto the 4 wheeler so I didn't roll anyway and the 3 of use slowly moved up the mountain on the a single 4 wheeler. We stopped about ever 400 yards to glass and listen. On the second stop, my son heard a bugle. We kept moving up the mountain hearing more and more bugles every time we stopped. At one point, we heard a nasty bugle right below us and we got off the wheeler and started to make our way down the mountain into a thick stand of quakies.

About 300 yard later the cows start making a ton of noise. We have cows on ever side of us. Bulls continue to bugle below and to the right of us. We spot a single cow make its way across a 100 yard wide sage flat. It is the only open area in this thick stand of quakies. I have my daughter set up the shooting stick and practice where she would shoot on the cow. We start to move down a little more and now 100 yards from the sage flat, see a spike cross. I ask her if she wants to shoot and she says "no". She again finds it in the scope and practices with the shooting stick. A bull lets out a bugle again and we know we are still a couple hundred yards short of him. As we drop down a little more, my son who is a little higher on the hill sees a 4pt raghorn run across the flat. We decide we have seen a pattern and move up and get right on the edge of the flat and sit down hoping whatever is bugling below us with make its way up the mountain.

After 10 minutes, my son says he is going to peak over the next ridge and see if he can find where the raghorn and other elk are going. We haven't heard the bull for about 20 minutes now. As we sit, my daughter says, "You should cow call." I say OK and set out a simple mew. 10 seconds later a bull above us bugles and then the bull below us bugles to him. I call my son on the radio and say get down here, we want to drop in on the bull. He tells me no, he wants 5 more minutes to get and look over the next ridge. Frustrated, we sit there for another 5 minutes and then my daughter says "Cow call again." I let out another mew and the bull below us lights up. After he finishes bugling and tips his head, I see the tips of his horns. We hurry and stand up and get the gun on the shooting stick. My son calls and says "I am almost back down to you guys, but I am not going to move." The bull proceed to walk up into the flat, it is now about 65 yards and moving toward us. I see it is a mature bull, a big bull. My daughter is looking way past the bull at 150 yards. I say the bull is right there in front of us and she sees it and says "oh my gosh". She gets on the bull as it continues to walk right towards us.

It stops at 50 yards, tips its head back and lets out of bugles. She mumbles "holy cow" in a wisper. I am thinking, do I let he take a front on shot, she has only practiced on bullet placement in the front shoulder. If the bull closes 10 more yards towards us, I will have her take a front on shot. After the bugle, the bull turns to the right and starts up the hill towards my son giving a perfect broadside shot. I know the bull is probably going to smell him any minute with the wind, I tell her "Take the shot". "Take the shot now." The bull is still walking and I hear a boom. The 150gr nosler accubond lr out of the 7mm-08 makes it way into the bull and the bull drops like a sack of potatoes in its tracks. We load another round, but it is down and not getting up. Perfect shot placement on a walking bull. She just blew up its heart.

I hate how guys act on hunting shows. I make fun of it all the time because I have never acted like that on any hunt in my life. I proceed to whip out my cell phone and act like the biggest idiot as I video her reaction. Turns out my son was about 30 yards in front of the bull and we walk down to check him out. We are all as giddy as little school girls.

Now the works starts, we are about 1/4 mile from the wheeler down a fairly steep incline. I cut off quarter and load them up for my son and he hauls them up to the wheeler. After his 2nd trip, he is nauseated from exhaustion and we take a frequent breaks. She take a front quarter and we all work together on the head and cape on the last trip up. 2.5 hours later we have everything up at wheeler. Now we move on down the mountain with 2 hind quarter on the front and holding the rack and cape on the back. My son walks because it is faster than we can go on the rough road. He acts as a counter balance to keep from tipping as we move down the road. 2 hours later, we have everything at the truck.

A truly amazing experience none of us will ever forget. A good bull for this area and the biggest elk for anybody in our family. A 70lb girl with 150gr of lead just put down a 800lb bull elk. Amazing.

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Forgive me for sharing, but lead still works...

Post by pedro »

Yea buddy! Congrats for the whole family.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Very nice!!!!!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Thats not what I was expecting from the thread title. Congrats to all!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

It only takes 1 piece of lead, doesn't it?? :thumbup:

Congrats to your daughter on a great shot and the crew for all the hard work, after the shot :cheers:
Happy eatin' ;)

I'm gonna stick with the toms and my #5 reloads, when I can :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Congratulations to her!!!! One well placed round is what I like too hear about! Lead does work!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Thats a gooder story!

congrats to you'ns an especially your daughter who made the shot of a lifetime in that situation!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats to your daughter. Heck of a hunt. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Reward her with a blaze orange vest, hat, and gloves in her size.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome!!! Congrats to your daughter!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good one, what state are you hunting in ?
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Congrats to you all. That's Awesome..
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats to your daughter and all involved. I love stories with happy endings. Outstanding!!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Congrats to the girl!

Love the hunting boots... :D
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The family that shoots together has plenty of good eats together. Great story and a tip of the hat!! Gil
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Dude my heart was racing just reading the story. Congrats to her!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MAK

Post by MAK »

Congrat's - what a thrill - I can smell those backstraps grilling..............
MAK
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Awesome!
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Awesome. Congrats!!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”