2017 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2017 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab

Post by HunterGKS »

A few weeks ago, I noticed a couple of large bumps on the right rear fender of my ’08 Ram. I took it to a body shop on Tues., 07/18, & found out that, due to the way the sound deadening material is attached to the fender, if water gets between the material & fender & starts to rust, it really can’t be repaired. They could grind it down & bondo it but more rust spots would start soon after or, in other words, good money after bad. Other than that & a couple of small scratches, the body is in great shape for a 9 ½ year old truck.

I got home & spent the next 2 ½ days researching & building a new truck. I finally found 1 close to what I wanted at a dealer in Upper Sandusky, Oh. I got to the dealership at 01:00 on Fri, 07/21, & was headed back home before 03:30 with a deal signed, sealed, & delivered. I got all the have-to-haves except 1. All they had was a 5’7” bed & I wanted the 6’4” model. But, I couldn’t turn down the deal they made me, so I settled for the short bed. It’s a 2017 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab almost the same as my 2008, red exterior & grey interior. It’s got 4WD, towing package, back-up camera, Sirius radio (free for 1 year), a free bedliner & tri-fold bed cover, running boards, & all kinds of electronics. I’m going to have to get a jet pilot’s license to figure out the electronics & the display screen. There are also 2 110 outlets which are powered by the truck. There are also USB accessory outlets.

I can’t believe how much storage this truck has. There is storage under each rear seat as well as a covered bin on each side of the rear floor. The center console has 2 large bins, there are 2 glove compartments, 2 areas in all 4 doors, 7 in the dash varying in size, & a small map sized area on each side of the console. The problem with all this storage is that I will probably fill it up with all kinds of junk. There are also 10 cupholders, 4 in the back & 6 in the front with 2 that are removable in each door.

It’s been 9+ years since I bought after-market add-ons & went into sticker shock!!!! Unbelievable how the prices have gone up!!!! I have a set of Weathertec floor mats, front & rear, & a bug deflector & wind deflectors for the 4 door windows. I ordered a set of Saddleman front covers in camo, an OSU receiver cover, & a set of locking lug nuts from Auto Anything. I like the Saddleman covers but they don’t make a cover for the type of rear seats that I have. I’ll have to keep searching.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF A NEW TRUCK IN THE MORNING, THE AFTERNOON, THE EVENING, & AT NIGHT!!!! I picked up the truck on Friday, 07/28 & there isn’t a much better smell. The dealer had it all cleaned-up & purty looking so it poured almost all the way home.

The last 2 pics are the new Weather Tech floor mats.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

forkedlighting

Re: 2017 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab

Post by forkedlighting »

Nice truck I just purchased a new Ford F-150 got a extended because of so much electricstuff to go wrongImage

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I always said I liked any color................Long as it was red............Very nice truck but it really should have had a bow tie on the grille. :LMAO: :walk:
hootn

Post by hootn »

Can't hide money

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

forkedlighting wrote: July 29th, 2017, 9:53 am Nice truck I just purchased a new Ford F-150 got a extended because of so much electricstuff to go wrong

Thx. I also got all kinds of different warranties to cover just about everything. Your's is good looking as well.
George

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

Thanks

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

turkeyinstrut wrote: July 29th, 2017, 9:54 am I always said I liked any color................Long as it was red............Very nice truck but it really should have had a bow tie on the grille. :LMAO: :walk:
Rams HAVE to be some shade of red. I have owned a Dakota & another Big Horn that were red as well. I have owned Chevies but after getting my 1st Dodge in '70, I have pretty much stuck with them except for 1 Saturn, 1 Olds & 3 Fords. Dad owned nothing but Chrysler products so I come by it naturally. It's hard to believe I have owned 11 cars/trucks over a 50+ year time span.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

hootn wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:06 am Can't hide money

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When you get 18k+ off the sticker & lots of freebies, you don't need to hide money.
George

turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

HunterGKS wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:25 am
turkeyinstrut wrote: July 29th, 2017, 9:54 am I always said I liked any color................Long as it was red............Very nice truck but it really should have had a bow tie on the grille. :LMAO: :walk:
Rams HAVE to be some shade of red. I have owned a Dakota & another Big Horn that were red as well. I have owned Chevies but after getting my 1st Dodge in '70, I have pretty much stuck with them except for 1 Saturn, 1 Olds & 3 Fords. Dad owned nothing but Chrysler products so I come by it naturally. It's hard to believe I have owned 11 cars/trucks over a 50+ year time span.
My Dad was a Ford man all his life, he has been gone now for 3 years, I am 56 years old and have never owned a Ford product of any kind and it's probably due to having to hear about "Ford's" all my life. I sure miss that old fart and would give anything to just have him around for one more day and cram some more Ford down my throat.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

What type of tire package did you get kinda looks like the standard goodyear tire they have always given. I am always replacing their tires with something more agressive. One thing I noticed this spring while getting my truck serviced is that some of the trucks had different styles of tires some really nice looking aggressive styles. I asked and the salesman said they are now getting into offering different tire packages and most of the prices they gave me were cheaper than you could get at many of the tire dealers around town.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Very nice Jorge! :thumbup:
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

timbrhuntr wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:39 am What type of tire package did you get kinda looks like the standard goodyear tire they have always given. I am always replacing their tires with something more agressive. One thing I noticed this spring while getting my truck serviced is that some of the trucks had different styles of tires some really nice looking aggressive styles. I asked and the salesman said they are now getting into offering different tire packages and most of the prices they gave me were cheaper than you could get at many of the tire dealers around town.
This is what they are: Goodyear 275/60SR20.0 All Season. I may replace them with a little more aggressive when these wear out or I get stuck the 1st time.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:42 am Very nice Jorge! :thumbup:
Thx, Ronnie.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Good looker, by golly George and sure sounds like you done did rite' :thumbup:
At least you found one that had all you wanted except 1 item, and capitalized on it with the discounts!!! ;)
Ya' sure need those mats & 4 wheel drive that I sure don't miss :bootyshake:
Dodge always had one heck of a drive train but bodywork was always needed!! :cry:

Loved my F-150 till' they "outgrew" me .. and have to get a Colorado(which is bigger than my 03 F-150 was) because the new Rangers aren't out yet!! They sure cheapened them down from the ole S-10 I had for my business in MI.
The new Colorado stank like s**t when I got it and I put&carry a fabric softener sheet in it :o
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Nice George. Now go get some groundhog blood on it. 👍🏻😄
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:50 am Good looker, by golly George and sure sounds like you done did rite' :thumbup:
At least you found one that had all you wanted except 1 item, and capitalized on it with the discounts!!! ;)
Ya' sure need those mats & 4 wheel drive that I sure don't miss :bootyshake:
Dodge always had one heck of a drive train but bodywork was always needed!! :cry:

Loved my F-150 till' they "outgrew" me .. and have to get a Colorado(which is bigger than my 03 F-150 was) because the new Rangers aren't out yet!! They sure cheapened them down from the ole S-10 I had for my business in MI.
The new Colorado stank like s**t when I got it and I put&carry a fabric softener sheet in it :o
Thx Charlie. The old Ram was going on 10 years & the only rust was on that right rear fender. It held up better than most Rams from what I have been told. The saleslady said she will probably buy my old one as it's in such good shape. It was always garaged except when I travelled to hunt. The new truck smells great but the floor mats not so much. Hopefully the new truck smell overrides the mats.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:52 am Nice George. Now go get some groundhog blood on it. 👍🏻😄
Thx. 1st blood will prolly be squirrel, then turkey, then deer.
George

swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Congratulations on the new purchase! !!! Looks sharp! :thumbleft:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

swampchicken wrote: July 29th, 2017, 11:25 am Congratulations on the new purchase! !!! Looks sharp! :thumbleft:
Thx.
George

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

HunterGKS wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:56 am Thx. 1st blood will prolly be squirrel, then turkey, then deer.
The squirrel and turkey shouldn't be a problem. But your probably going to need a heavier duty bumper for the deer to avoid any body damage to your new ride.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome looking truck George!!!! :thumbup:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: July 29th, 2017, 12:00 pm
HunterGKS wrote: July 29th, 2017, 10:56 am Thx. 1st blood will prolly be squirrel, then turkey, then deer.
The squirrel and turkey shouldn't be a problem. But your probably going to need a heavier duty bumper for the deer to avoid any body damage to your new ride.
I have a color-coded cow catcher on back order.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

2Shooter wrote: July 29th, 2017, 1:48 pm Awesome looking truck George!!!! :thumbup:
Thx.
George

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

HunterGKS wrote:
2Shooter wrote: July 29th, 2017, 1:48 pm Awesome looking truck George!!!! [emoji106]
Thx.
Hunter GKS only complaint I have are the bed on the new one makes it to load a deer or get stuff in an outneed a ladder to get in the bed

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

forkedlighting wrote: July 29th, 2017, 6:09 pm
HunterGKS wrote:
2Shooter wrote: July 29th, 2017, 1:48 pm Awesome looking truck George!!!! [emoji106]
Thx.
Hunter GKS only complaint I have are the bed on the new one makes it to load a deer or get stuff in an outneed a ladder to get in the bed

My 2008 was a pretty tall lift as well. I have a 4-wheeler I drive back to my deer stand. I can load the deer on the back , backup to the tailgate, & roll/push the deer in.

I took an old shovel handle & screwed a big hook into the end. I use it to snag anything I can't reach.

I guess that's the price we pay for 4WD with a towing package.
George

Return to “Gobbler Talk”