Carbon fiber barrel

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
coconut

Carbon fiber barrel

Post by coconut »

Does anyone make a carbon fiber shotgun barrel? Would love to have a 4 pound 20 gauge semi auto or 3 pound semi 410.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Carbon fiber barrel

Post by howl »

Don't know if it is suitable for anything other than small lead, but I think Winchester had a "plastic" barrel semi at one time. Model 59 or something or other someone will probably correct me on in the next post.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

59Winchester had a thin steel barrel wound in fiberglass. Aluminum reciever. Made it in 12ga only. Experimentally ran a few in 20ga and 14ga!!! I carried one grouse hunting for years.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Christiansen arms might wrap one.Never heard of them doing a shotgun tho. Going to be $$$ though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have the 59 in 12 very light and way before it's time. In the future I see shotguns getting lighter and more gauge options. Sure would like to see a weatherby sa-08 410 on 410 frame.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

59Winchester was also the first shotgun to offer screw in choke tubes
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Model 59 Winch was the worst handling shotgun I have ever fired. Yes, it was light, but all the weight was in the butt. Pick it up with both hands and the barrels went skyward. Wretched gun to swing.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Spuriosity wrote:Model 59 Winch was the worst handling shotgun I have ever fired. Yes, it was light, but all the weight was in the butt. Pick it up with both hands and the barrels went skyward. Wretched gun to swing.
But when you had greenbreirs wrapped around your neck and sliding down a hillside to try to get to a psychopathic Brittany and a very nervous grouse, it worked out ok!
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Thought briefly about turkey hunting with one, but the floating chamber would probably play havoc with tss reloads
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

I seen one but it was on a clay gun. I don't know how it would work. I remember back when Remington came out with light contour barrel I got a gun that had light contour barrel and one that said buckshot. Big difference in them in od of barrel.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Yep, they did carbon fiber barrels on an O/U so you could have longer barrels. Think it was Fabarms.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Return to “Gun Talk”