Good Gobbling Morns

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Good Gobbling Morns

Post by Shooter »

Any of ya'll ever wonder why one morn they gobble everywhere, and the next you can't get a gobble no where??? :dontknow:
Two seemingly identical morns also.
I've read and researched it for years, but nothing solid.
I've heard Barometric pressure, even heard Dew Point. Along with a lot of other things.

Well, I dropped some coin, and bought a fairly expensive Weather station, and a Dew Point meter.
The station gives barometric pressure along with telling you if its steady, falling, or dropping.
With 4 extremely rainy days in a row, its been hard to judge so far.
Don't know if this has anything at all to do with it, but I just had to try. :mrgreen:
Gonna be watching and see if I can make heads or tails from it, cause I don't have a clue otherwise.

Probably ain't gonna make a difference. I'm going out there anyway!!! :lol: :lol:
hobbes

Re: Good Gobbling Morns

Post by hobbes »

I've never understood it, but I've never put in an effort to document all weather factors that could be the cause. I'd be interested in your findings.

I agree though.......I'm hunting regardless.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I'm with ya' on this one as I always wondered about it also with duck huntin' the Great Lakes!! :cheers:

Did you get it set with your exact settings for where you're located at, like location Elevation , etc. ??

Suns out tomorrow morn. for the 1st time in 3 days, and I will be also :lol: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

Been there done that. About 11 years ago my father inlaw bought me a really nice weather station and for the first 7 seasons I would take note of the weather and barometer prior to leaving out each morning. I wouldn't say it was 100% accurate but I'm confident to report that on the majority of the days where the barometer was 30.25 and rising I'd hear birds gobbling. I reverse was also accurate. The majority of the time when the barometer is falling I couldn't buy a gobble.

After recording my in-scientific observations over that 7 year period what I gathered is they are wild animals that do there thing when they want, for whatever reason they want. While I heard more gobbling on certain weather days it didn't deter me from hunting every chance I got.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, this morn sure wasn't one of em!!! Went all over the 30 K acres, and heard a total of,...... 0.
Barometer says 29.83 and rising. Dew Point was 52.
I actually saw several Longbeards in a couple different places. No strutting either.
Noticed the crows weren't talking either.
52 degrees outside with water dripping off of everything. Gonna take a few nice days to dry things out a little.
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

I have found that barometric pressure plays a role, but you never know until you go. I had a friend wanting to go this year. We planned it out and was a cloudy, muggy, morning. The pressure had fallen overnight. I didn't even want to get out of bed. We got out there and heard 2 turkeys gobbling very good. they ended up being across the river but that showed me you better go if you have time regardless of weather. I do believe 2 days after a front is a great morning to hear turkeys gobbling. i try not to miss those if i can help it.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Figured it out years ago. The TBT scale is the culprit. If gobbling is high on the scale then you will hear lots of it, if not you may not hear a peep. As aggravating as it is sometimes, that's what gets them killed.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

This year I have officially declared a total moratorium on trying to predict the gobbling behavior of turkeys. After 37 years of frustration and too many, "This morning, they are going to be gobbling their heads off", with no results and no discernible rational as to why they didn't make a damn sound, I'm going to my mental "Happy Place" and am just going to be grateful for the days that they do decide to talk. As a good hunting friend says when the gobblers don't cooperate for whatever reason, "They are just being turkeys!" With that said, getting back to the original topic, I don't have a clue as to why they gobble some days, and as an older gentleman told me years ago, "Today, they've got the hush mouth."
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

After much Research & Background checks I have found out that Guesswho was once a Well known Deep South Meteorologist . That explains the 5 Gallon Bucket Of Spurs ! :thumbup:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Still trying to figure out what TBT is!!!! :dontknow:
jasonb53

Post by jasonb53 »

Shooter wrote:Still trying to figure out what TBT is!!!! :dontknow:
glad i wasn't the only one
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Turkeys being turkeys??????
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Turkey Gobbles canst be measured with a weather gauge. :lol:

They are going to gobble if they are looking.
fountain

Post by fountain »

Well, have you been able to gather any info yet?
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

They have been gobbling good the past 4 days here in northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, I have not been able to make heads or tails from the dew point, or the weather station. I'm leaning towards Ronnie's TBT!!!
It just has not been a good gobbling year, all the way around. Heard one the other day must have gobbled a hundred times in an hour,....
and didn't get him. Bad hunter!!
The only thing that has been consistant is, when the crows are firing, the turkeys seem to gobble better or at least some.
Oh Well!!!
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

I've seen em gobble in the best and worst weather conditions and vice versa. There's no rhyme or reason. The only thing I've banked on and it hasn't failed yet is when I've had a string of warm weather late in the season and a cold snap comes through the next calm high pressure morning they seem to blow the bark off the trees. Not sure why but I always make it a point to hunt then

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

The other day I hunted a ridge tract and heard 8 gobblers, worked two, and had a gobbler which made me think that I was the best turkey caller alive. I was changing calls to see what he wouldn't respond to, never found it. I had him in strut at 35 yards and let him walk, I wasn't ready to stop hunting this season, and I was going to save him for a friend. I drove to my uncle's place which is about 8 miles, as the crow flies, and they hadn't heard a bird all morning, and I know that there are 4-5 mature gobblers on the farm. Go Figure!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”