Furthest you have seen a bird fly to get to your calls?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
TN-TurkeyTickler

Furthest you have seen a bird fly to get to your calls?

Post by TN-TurkeyTickler »

Had one fly across a 400 yard wide gorge. He just glided on over the to the ridge i was on and hammered as his fee hit ground 30yrds below me. Couple purrs and a cut you know the rest lol
Anyone else ever had one fly to you? Also he was not on the roost, just strutting a field.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Furthest you have seen a bird fly to get to your calls?

Post by Shooter »

Had one years ago in the MTs, come off of Iron Gap ridge to Cedar Ridge once. Almost landed in our lap. Wasn't ready of course.
Probably a good half mile.
TN-TurkeyTickler

Shooter wrote:Had one years ago in the MTs, come off of Iron Gap ridge to Cedar Ridge once. Almost landed in our lap. Wasn't ready of course.
Probably a good half mile.
Thats a haul, their ability to pinpoint location still never ceases to amaze me.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

very common in the mountains. had 3 together fly approx. 700 yds. and like yours they hit right in front of me.
El Sicario
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

MMMMM .. I'll let you know when we hunt a mountain side in Mexico next week :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I've flown a lot farther to them than they have to me.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

guesswho wrote:I've flown a lot farther to them than they have to me.
:lol:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

300 yards off roost across wheat field, shot him at 10 steps where he landed after having to get the gun past a small sapling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Several years ago, I had a gobbler hammering back to my calls from a ridge across a large reservoir/lake, probably 1/2 -3/4 mile away. The gobbler flew across the lake and landed about 50 yards below me and came in gobbling. I once had a bird gobbling on an adjacent finger off of the ridge which I had climbed and it took me about 45 minute to get to the top of the ridge and get on the back side of the finger which he was on to get to him. I had given up on the gobbler when he didn't answer any of my calls when he started gobbling from the finger ridge which I had left about an hour before. I gave a series of calls on a slate and diaphragm and sat down on a log to contemplate my next move when I saw the gobbler flying toward me from the finger about 300 yards away. The gobbler flew within 35 yards and I shot him as he swung by. I could see his beard as he was flying. The gobbler crumpled in the air and his momentum carried him way down the ridge and it took me about 15 minutes to get to him. You flat-land hunters don't know the trials and frustrations of hunting gobblers in the mountains and ridges where you might have a bird gobbling 200-300 yards away which is a hazardous 1-2 hour up and down stomp to get within calling/killing distance which, in my experience, usually results in a fruitless long hazardous hike. With that said, I killed a nice gobbler last year on such a hunt which involved getting back to the vehicle, driving to the top of the ridge and a 30 minute stomp to get to the ridge he was on. I set up, called softly, and he gobbled 50 yards away, and came in silently to his death. It works enough to keep at it. It is, you know, a disease.
sportrep

Post by sportrep »

Had one fly across the Tombigbee river in West Alabama (about 300 yards). I was entertaining a buyer that I used to call on as a sales rep. He was the only turkey we heard that morning and he gobbled at everything I did. We stood on one side of the river and I really poured on the sweetness. I didn't think there was a chance in the world that he would fly that river. He landed within 50 yards. When I saw him in flight we both hit the ground and got ready best we could. That two year old died within a minute.
"Every time I get a dose of stinkin thinking, all I need is a check up from the neck up." Zig Ziegler...
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Several over 400. One stumpy witnessed that busted me at 8 steps. He had to be close to half mile.
TN-TurkeyTickler

decoykrvr wrote:Several years ago, I had a gobbler hammering back to my calls from a ridge across a large reservoir/lake, probably 1/2 -3/4 mile away. The gobbler flew across the lake and landed about 50 yards below me and came in gobbling. I once had a bird gobbling on an adjacent finger off of the ridge which I had climbed and it took me about 45 minute to get to the top of the ridge and get on the back side of the finger which he was on to get to him. I had given up on the gobbler when he didn't answer any of my calls when he started gobbling from the finger ridge which I had left about an hour before. I gave a series of calls on a slate and diaphragm and sat down on a log to contemplate my next move when I saw the gobbler flying toward me from the finger about 300 yards away. The gobbler flew within 35 yards and I shot him as he swung by. I could see his beard as he was flying. The gobbler crumpled in the air and his momentum carried him way down the ridge and it took me about 15 minutes to get to him. You flat-land hunters don't know the trials and frustrations of hunting gobblers in the mountains and ridges where you might have a bird gobbling 200-300 yards away which is a hazardous 1-2 hour up and down stomp to get within calling/killing distance which, in my experience, usually results in a fruitless long hazardous hike. With that said, I killed a nice gobbler last year on such a hunt which involved getting back to the vehicle, driving to the top of the ridge and a 30 minute stomp to get to the ridge he was on. I set up, called softly, and he gobbled 50 yards away, and came in silently to his death. It works enough to keep at it. It is, you know, a disease.
Yeah killed my fair share of mountain birds, often leave strutting birds in the valleys just to wander the spine of our old mountains, much more thrilling!
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

redarrow wrote:
guesswho wrote:I've flown a lot farther to them than they have to me.
:lol:
That's funny Ronnie, but so da*n true. :)
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

turkey_slayer wrote:Several over 400. One stumpy witnessed that busted me at 8 steps. He had to be close to half mile.
From 1 mtn to the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

Called one across the Black Warrior river in Greene Co, Alabama. He landed about 30 yds away and I was as surprised as he was! Got the gun up and made the shot before he could retreat
Proverbs 3:5-6
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Around 150 yards that I killed. I filled the first morning of a 3 day hunt on Private land, so I went scouting to see if I could locate birds, and get to know the land for the following years hunt. Early in the morning I called, and got a Gobbler to answer far in the distance. I walked that way, and came to a deep ravine with the other side at least 400 yards away. Hiding behind a fir tree, I called again, and no answer. Being I roughly knew where he is at, I start to walk away, when that sucker landed within 4 feet of me. Scared the crap out of me.
ImageImageImage
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Jaybird wrote:Around 150 yards that I killed. I filled the first morning of a 3 day hunt on Private land, so I went scouting to see if I could locate birds, and get to know the land for the following years hunt. Early in the morning I called, and got a Gobbler to answer far in the distance. I walked that way, and came to a deep ravine with the other side at least 400 yards away. Hiding behind a fir tree, I called again, and no answer. Being I roughly knew where he is at, I start to walk away, when that sucker landed within 4 feet of me. Scared the crap out of me.

Dang Jay, how have you been buddy!
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

About 10 Springs ago, I heard just 1 gobbler sounding off on private land that was across a 4-lane highway--Rt. 17A in Sterling Forest,NY. I did not think he would make it to my side- but he was the only tom gobbling- so I took all my calls out-maybe 7-8 of them and worked them all for over 1 hour. I was only 100 yards away from Rt. 17A and he was maybe 50 yards or so on the private land. He flew over 4 lanes of road--medium heavy use -so I do not think he ran over. Now he was on my side! Still took another half hour to get him to show himself. I used whit-whits with my natural voice and he hobbled forward and I nailed him. Yeah- he hobbled forward-- one of his middle toes had broken some time in the past and healed up in a crooked manner. He could still roost- but was reduced to a slow-hobble. He only weighed around 16 1/2 pounds- but had a long beard on him. Glad I took him as he was probably by himself for a very long time- not being able to walk well. I made a wingbone from one of his wings and label that--RT. 17A FLYER.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

ccleroy wrote:
Jaybird wrote:Around 150 yards that I killed. I filled the first morning of a 3 day hunt on Private land, so I went scouting to see if I could locate birds, and get to know the land for the following years hunt. Early in the morning I called, and got a Gobbler to answer far in the distance. I walked that way, and came to a deep ravine with the other side at least 400 yards away. Hiding behind a fir tree, I called again, and no answer. Being I roughly knew where he is at, I start to walk away, when that sucker landed within 4 feet of me. Scared the crap out of me.

Living the life, retired on social security with 2 bad knees and hips. As Mickey Mantle said, "if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself". I miss Turkey Hunting the most, so I have to live the experience thru you guys, and my boys. Thanks for asking. Good luck with your season, buddy.
ImageImageImage
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Mountain bird (WNC); estimate 400 yds. Landed within 30 yds of me and promptly died.
flinginairos

Post by flinginairos »

Awesome stories. The bird I killed last year flew roughly 250 yards off a ridge and landed 60 yards from me. He died rather quickly! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

Wish I could add to these success stories but I've had birds fly the other direction and several probably still flying.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I can tell you how far away a tom flew when he heard my calls.. :lol:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

hoobilly wrote:I can tell you how far away a tom flew when he heard my calls.. :lol:
I knew THAT was coming!!!!! Right there with ya brother!!! :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Jaybird wrote:
ccleroy wrote:

Living the life, retired on social security with 2 bad knees and hips. As Mickey Mantle said, "if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself". I miss Turkey Hunting the most, so I have to live the experience thru you guys, and my boys. Thanks for asking. Good luck with your season, buddy.
Great to hear from ya Captain!!! How the hell have you been. I think of you every once and again.
You probably ain't heard, but I ain't the machine I once was. Dam texting 20 year old girl ended my long walks in the woods.
Boy, we really used to lay the Turkeys down, didn't we!!!
Still get a few nowadays, but nothing like before. I get out there as much as I can.
Are you not able to get out there any??? Our WMA has a Wheelchair zone now. Come on down, and we will roll together!! :mrgreen:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”