Unresponsive

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
doublegobble1

Unresponsive

Post by doublegobble1 »

Anybody have a property where the turkeys just won't respond. They gobble in the tree, hit the ground gobble a few times then that's it. Nothing else. If you call they shut down. The turkeys on this place are just plain tough!! The toms are in groups for the most part. I have tried to pattern them but they pitch into a cutover to a different place every time. You can't slip around because there are snags and limbs covering the ground. So frustrating. I was thinking there was something wrong with me until I hunted a different tract last year and had great success. I guess I just need to leave this place and hunt other spots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Unresponsive

Post by Shooter »

Just about every dang bird I've messed with in the last two weeks have been like that.
Heck, I'm already afraid to yelp at em, cause they have shut up and walked away. Even lone Gobblers.
It will change soon,..... I hope!! :(
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

If you know of a spot where they pitch down to, hunt that same spot for a week. Get there early!! I would guess in a weeks time, theyll pitch down there at least once, maybe twice. Make no sound and let them do their thing. I know...... Its ambushing them, but sometimes thats the only thing you can do.

How bad do you want one of them?
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

You have a tract of land where turkeys gobble in the tree?!?! AND a few times on the ground?!?!
You sir are a blessed man!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

They've been breeding heavily. In deer hunting we call this the October lull. Most of what people do hunting-wise in this phase of the season is condition birds to disassociate distant calling with hens or, worse, to associate distant calling with hunters.

You're gonna want to get your squash transplants in the hills in about a week. Crappie don't spawn forever. That is all.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

A week ago in Kansas I set up near the roost. When the birds hit the ground they either go west or east. You can call all you want they won't answer it has zero to do with associating with a hunter. To confirm this one morning most of the birds went west. But 2 hens flew east out into the field I was on. They walked around feeding and calling occassionally. But after about an hour and not seeing the other birds coming they started to call more. Until they were in a complete frenzy lost calling kee keeing etc. The flock just kept going the other way I guess they believed those hens were hunters LOL. Finally those hens just gave up and walked off southwest yelping on and off. I bet they never catch up to the flock because it will keep running from those hunters. :LMAO:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Yep, sounds familiar
willie

Post by willie »

i have a place like that (in front of my house).it was three of them that would do what you said but the only difference is they would gobble at you but had no idea of coming in instead they would be walking from you and going to the other gobblers then they shut up.my answer was and it took me two seasons to figure this out.instead of hen talk i would jake yuk and gobble and when they got just out of shooting range i would just cluck once and i ended up filling my season tags on them.worked great.just get between the gobblers and don't be shy.iv gobbled at them when they were as close as 60 yards (trees leafed out).NO HEN TALKING AT ALL!
HarleyRiders97

Post by HarleyRiders97 »

A common problem with turkey hunting! Stay with it better days are ahead!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”