Missed one today with TSS! (first time using TSS)

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
tr3y0248

Missed one today with TSS! (first time using TSS)

Post by tr3y0248 »

Well, Im hating life right now. Had a perfect shot at a bird today at 46 yards. (lasered where he was standing to the tree I was sitting at after the miss)

My gun was patterned 2 weeks ago and performed well up to 50 yds. and after I missed today, I set up a bottle on a stick at 46 yards and shot it just to check after I missed the gobbler.

My combo is 870 youth with tightwad choke, fastfire III, shooting Stubby #9s.

I know TSS is not magical, and any number of factors could have been at play. but Ive never missed one with HVYWT 7s

He was not wounded either (thankfully) because he ran about 60 yards and started gobbling again.

Has anybody else ever missed with TSS?
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Missed one today with TSS! (first time using TSS)

Post by Grumpy »

Ya should have kept this to yourself, there is a good chance you will get voted out of the TSS 100 yard club
:lol:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Everyone has missed!!! Or your new to turkey hunting. Sometimes it has something to do with the gun/shell, but 90% of the time its operator error.
With extremely tight shooting guns its gonna happen more often, you may have pulled your head up off the stock, you may have flinched, you may have pulled the shot or you may have hit something else before it got to the bird?????? All I can say for sure is suck it up and move on to the next one, he'll be there tomorrow.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I did. No excuses. 40 yards, wide open pasture and bird had his head up standing still. Gun on my knee and red dot on his head. Even remember to just squeeze the trigger. For some reason me and my buddy saw about a 10 yard shot string in the grass up to his feet. I know it wasn't me. Shot back at my buddy's house at 40 and everything was good.

I killed a few with TSS but I'm shooting HW 7's and a different gun now. Not because of the miss.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Miss .. that's what we call our elder women down here :LMAO:

Just as Fatmo says, and it's hard to get that pit out of yer' stomach .. but get right back out there and redeem yourself :thumbup:
Heck go after that one, he's still laughin" & gobblin' at ya' :lol:

You don't want to hear all the sad tales I have under my belt :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I missed one the other day. I know the sucker is OK, though, because it ran right by me at ten yards after I shot at it. I jumped up and was turning the gun to swing the butt at his head when he got his wings going. (Hey, I shoots I makes my best effort to end it ASAP.) They had me all kinds of worked up. I should have taken a moment to compose myself after killing the first one, but you know how that goes.

That was with a 20 gauge and heavy sevens, btw.
sevetts

Post by sevetts »

I missed one last year 3 times with a gun shell choke that I know I'd killed a dozen birds in a row with. 20ga nitro mega weight blend. I had 2 megas and an old remington hevi shot 5 in the back just to have in the gun. Each time I shot he putted and took a step. He was inside 40yards and I had worked him over 2 hrs. I'm not sure a pellet ever touched him...it's a rough feeling watching a bird you just shot 3 times at walk away lol. Still don't know what happened but I couldn't get that choke to put more than 10 pellets on paper. I deep cleaned it and put a different choke in it and it shot fine
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Did they not tell you the "Stubby" load only kills to 45 yards. Why do you think they call it stubby? Live and learn.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Missed one at 45 on Saturday with my 20 and TSS. Happens. I know that the dot moved just as I pulled the trigger but it was too late to stop. I was winded from hurrying to get to him and it all went down real fast when he flew off the roost nearly to me and I simply blew it. There will be more so don't get too discouraged.
tr3y0248

Post by tr3y0248 »

Thanks for the replies.You've helped my ego a little. Ive missed them in the past as well. I just hate that I missed the first time I used TSS. Im not blaming TSS at all. But I was excited to get one with my new hand loads.

It sucks because I was with a buddy who I've been trying to make a believer in the 20 gauge and he watched me screw it up.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Missing is as much a part of turkey hunting as killing. Just not the best part. If one has never missed, it's around the corner.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Missed a pile of them but have killed a bigger pile of them. It happens. I did miss a couple early in my TSS career before I put red dots on my guns. Wouldn't hunt TSS without one. Shooting an IC 555 by any chance? :mrgreen:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

guesswho wrote:...Shot back at my buddy's house at 40 and everything was good...
LOL! Did it penetrate the siding?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
guesswho wrote:...Shot back at my buddy's house at 40 and everything was good...
Just flattened the tires.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

GLS wrote:
Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
Just flattened the tires.
I see what you did there. ;)
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

My son missed one at about 20 steps in Texas on the first morning. He SWORE he was rock steady, resting on a BogPod tripod, dot halfway up the neck, etc, followed through the shot... well, the bird flew away unscathed.

The next two days, he swatted one at 15 steps and another at 38. We did nothing to the gun.

Sometimes things just happen... and it's VERY rarely the gun's fault. I don't know how he whiffed that first shot, but he did. We're glad he did though, we got to hunt more!
jotahech371

Post by jotahech371 »

With a miss, you appreciate success. Humility is a good trait in this sport.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

"When that occasional monarch of the deep woods makes us look really bad, we can rest assured that our Creator has presented us with one of his creations to help us master our own egos." - Ken Morgan "Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I missed 5 longbeards last year and 2 so far this year. all 7 missed were between 10 and 18 yards. I cant shoot for **** and I don't care. I get tore up bad man. as Jamey stated, there will always be another chance.
El Sicario
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

appalachianassassin wrote:I missed 5 longbeards last year and 2 so far this year. all 7 missed were between 10 and 18 yards. I cant shoot for **** and I don't care. I get tore up bad man. as Jamey stated, there will always be another chance.
If you are getting them in that close I would shoot a more open choke for some wiggle room. I never had that many chances at long beards in one season.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

appalachianassassin wrote:I missed 5 longbeards last year and 2 so far this year. all 7 missed were between 10 and 18 yards. I cant shoot for **** and I don't care. I get tore up bad man. as Jamey stated, there will always be another chance.
Shooting Winch LBs by any chance? :mrgreen:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

What gun and what are you using for sights? beads, rifle sights or red dot? How much coffee are you drinking before the hunt. ;)
I had a 4 miss season about 10 years ago.
Gil
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

the 2 misses I had this year were with a 2.5 oz load of tss 9s. I miss aloooooooooooot, always have.
El Sicario
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

GLS wrote:
What gun and what are you using for sights? beads, rifle sights or red dot? How much coffee are you drinking before the hunt. ;)
I had a 4 miss season about 10 years ago.
Gil
I drink at least 1/2 pot of coffee b4 the hunt. I work 2nd shift so I usually only get a couple hours sleep per day. the 5 I missed last year were consecutive. I killed 2, missed 5, changed guns then killed 7 in a row. I was pissed to the point that I sold a brand new win sxp for nearly nothing just to be rid of it. it shot way to tight for the distance I generally shoot. the 2 misses this year were with my 935 and a Nikon turkey pro shooting 9s. its all me guys, my nerves get too me. well, along with the lack of sleep. I do have to say, im deadly with my win sx3 longbeard with the burris ff3. ive shot at 10 longbeards with it past 2 years and killed them all with LB #5s. im just partial to the 935, its been my turkey gun for a very long time.
Last edited by appalachianassassin on April 13th, 2017, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Sicario
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Spuriosity wrote:
Shooting Winch LBs by any chance? :mrgreen:
the 5 misses last year were with longbeards yes
El Sicario

Return to “Small Bore”