Drumming

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
3toe

Re: Drumming

Post by 3toe »

Funny this thread got brought back up.

I said in the initial post I couldn't hear drumming and if I did not very well. I don't know what changed, maybe age. But, the last two springs I have heard drumming very well inside of 100yds. I can't course it very good, but I can hear it pretty well. I was sitting on the edge of a gas line in some hardwoods and had a gobbler drumming like crazy on the other side but I couldnt see him. I would have bet a weeks pay he was straight up 12 noon and had my shotgun up and safety off. He drummed again and luckily I caught the movement as he was had crossed onto my side of the gas line and coming from my 2 oclock. Luckily I shoot left handed and it was easy to adjust and make a 20 yd shot.

As I said before, I have always known what drumming sounds like from videos, etc. So it wasn't a recognition issue. Anyway, I hope to hear it alot come March 14th this year. :)
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

3toe wrote:Funny this thread got brought back up.

I said in the initial post I couldn't hear drumming and if I did not very well. I don't know what changed, maybe age. But, the last two springs I have heard drumming very well inside of 100yds. I can't course it very good, but I can hear it pretty well. I was sitting on the edge of a gas line in some hardwoods and had a gobbler drumming like crazy on the other side but I couldnt see him. I would have bet a weeks pay he was straight up 12 noon and had my shotgun up and safety off. He drummed again and luckily I caught the movement as he was had crossed onto my side of the gas line and coming from my 2 oclock. Luckily I shoot left handed and it was easy to adjust and make a 20 yd shot.

As I said before, I have always known what drumming sounds like from videos, etc. So it wasn't a recognition issue. Anyway, I hope to hear it alot come March 14th this year. :)
I have a hard time getting a direction on drumming as well, but if he spits, his ass is done.
MississippiGobbler

Post by MississippiGobbler »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3n33bcDto

Start at about 10:00 and there is some great gobbling and drumming that you can hear pretty easy if you turn the volume up.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Great video till the end when the one guys spends so much time pointing his shotgun at his friends.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

trkykilr wrote:
I have a hard time getting a direction on drumming as well, but if he spits, his ass is done.
That is signature line **** right there.. LOL :lol: :lol:
MississippiGobbler wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3n33bcDto

Start at about 10:00 and there is some great gobbling and drumming that you can hear pretty easy if you turn the volume up.
My weak speakers did not pick that up but put on some buds and its there.. Its at the end of the frequency the buds will support but its there awesome.. Did not watch past he got his head snapped, but thanks for sharing..
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

I can definitely hear it. How well I'm not sure.
It's better than a gobble in my opinion.
I get more worked up over a Silent bird that
Sneaks into my lap Drumming, than a gobble crazed
Tom.

If I could give my turkey hunting buddy
Only 1 Gift, It would be the ability to
Hear a Bird Drumming.
Adamj1218

Post by Adamj1218 »

I love that sound. It gets my blood pumping for sure and I know he's in close and the possibility of taken him home is in the future. That is if I do my part.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

I am glad I can still read or I would not have heard this thread.

I can pick out the spitting and wing dragging but the VRRROOOOM or what ever you want to call it I can not hear.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9yKYfvWMB4

I usually cant hear it either but you can hear plenty of it in the video.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Ive heard several times, not a lot but a few times. I haven't never heard it far away. it has to be close. cool videos
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Cleveland48

Drumming

Post by Cleveland48 »

My brother can hear it a good ways off sometimes before we see it. If I hear drumming it's in range lol. I can hear it they just gotta be close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I've heard it once that I'm sure of. The bird was real close. My hearing is shot tho. Maybe my new hearing aids will help this season.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

guesswho wrote:If he's strutting chances are good he's also drumming.
That's when I hear it. I cannot hear drumming from a long ways as mentioned but when he gets closer and starts putting on a show, I can hear it.
It's a confidence builder for sure.....shouldered gun with the safety off.
Very interesting thread
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I can hear the spit at the 50 yard line. but if I hear him drum hes steppin into the red zone.
El Sicario
jasonb53

Post by jasonb53 »

i can't even hear it in the video
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I'm kinda like shooter. I busted an eardrum and can hear low frequency sounds extremely well. I can hear a drummer from an easy 250 yards.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Odd that a busted eardrum is mentioned. I to have punctured one eardrum and ruptured the other. I can hear drumming at extreme distances at times and it has got many many birds killed for me. Several I have set up on and killed with not a single gobble involved. I love that sound!!!!
Momma said "kill that turkey"
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Drumming

Post by hawglips »

I had two different birds constantly drumming within 40 yds this past week for about 25-30 minutes between them.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Three of the seven gobblers I put in front of the gun this year died because of drumming. I heard two of them on the roost with no gobbling
Last edited by savduck on February 10th, 2017, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Del, how far away were the roosting birds when you heard them? Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Gooserbat wrote:I'm kinda like shooter. I busted an eardrum and can hear low frequency sounds extremely well. I can hear a drummer from an easy 250 yards.
That's really interesting! I posted in this thread 3 years ago and said my high frequency hearing was pretty bad, but I can hear drumming just fine. In those 3 years, my overall hearing has gotten much worse - just ask anyone who knows me. The first 6 or 7 keys on the piano produce no sound that I can hear except the key hitting. But I can still hear a turkey drum just fine, and killed 2 this past season only because I heard the drumming before they showed up. I don't understand this at all, but I'm thankful I can hear drumming.

Has anyone else noticed that Rios seldom drum? I've been on a bunch of Rio hunts, but I've only heard one drum. And he was the biggest Rio I've ever seen and had a rope for a beard, so likely a very old turkey. I watched 3 in a roadbed this past season that strutted and gobbled for an hour and I was only 50-60 yards away, and never heard one drum.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

From what I understand those dumb rio's in Kansas and Texas are too busy gobbling right to the gun to bother to stay quiet and just drum once in a while !

I had an awesome hunt in Montana. I was down in a small valley and at first light 4 toms were gobbling their fool heads off on the ridges above me. After flydown they stopped gobbling but the loud drumming I could hear coming from the top of the ridge as the toms approached from 3 different locations was something I have never heard before and probably will never hear again. Finally 3 jakes came down the side of the valley and into my setup and they were drumming non-stop and here I thought they had to be some real boss toms with that loud drumming ! Too funny !
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I had a routine hearing exam yesterday as part of a physical. In chatting with the audiologist, I told him that this year during turkey season I didn't think I could hear the birds as far as the season before, but wasn't sure if that wasn't because of an earlier spring this year with denser foliage in the trees. He brightened up and went to his other office to show me prototypes of the Gobbler Ear, a hearing aid tuned to the gobble frequency with a reduction of other noises. My hearing was within normal ranges so he didn't try to sell me hearing aids of any description, but I thought it was pretty cool that the company, Optimal Hearing, has developed the Gobbler Ear. I believe he said the frequency of the gobbler's gobble was 1200-1500 Hertz. Gil
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Funny enough I have had both ear drums rupture from ear infections. I can hear drumming better than anyone I have hunted with. Hmmm...
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

I have killed several many gobblers by just hearing then Drumming !

Return to “Hunt Strategies”