Quavers

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
quavers16

Quavers

Post by quavers16 »

Any hunter here use quavers during their Spring turkey hunting. The late Kenny Morgan wrote that they are deadly on old gobblers in his timeless book---Turkey Hunting-A One Man Game. They work so well for me that I used it for my username.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Quavers

Post by guesswho »

Yes. I think most hunters do at some point, but call them by various names.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Jose Quevo ? I had never heard of a Quaver before but this video educated me .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Laz2ST0 ... ure=fvwrel
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I guess I don't know what a quaver is either if the guy calling on the video was supposed to be doing one. I just thought that he was doing a rather mediocre rendition of a purr on a mouth call. Of course, this would not be the first time someone has told me that I don't know what the f*** I am talking about.

I always thought a quaver was the little melodic whistle sort of sound that turkeys will do sometimes when they are do their contented calling. Somebody want to set me straight on this.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Quavers

Post by davisd9 »

Kenny Morgan described it as a very low, bearly audible, slow three note Yelp.

Rapscallion posted this good video of Mr. Morgan doing it on a friction call on another forum. Start at 1:45 to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI2az-03sKc

Sent from the Strut Zone
Last edited by davisd9 on February 29th, 2016, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RapscallionVermilion

Quavers

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Thanks Donald, I couldn't get that link to post right on my phone.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Quavers

Post by davisd9 »

RapscallionVermilion wrote:Thanks Donald, I couldn't get that link to post right on my phone.
Please add what you said about Mr. Jordan. I have not read that and was hoping you would fill it in. Thanks.

Sent from the Strut Zone
RapscallionVermilion

Quavers

"Quaver" appears many times in the McIlhenny/Jordan book, The Wild Turkey and its Hunting, e.g., "Now give a low quaver Keow keow keow just audible to him yet low then stop".
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Well, there you have it. What he describes as the quaver,...which sounds to me like three purrs in a row,....is a call that I can honestly say I have never heard a turkey do in the woods. However, I must bow to the wisdom of one of the old masters of the game and concede that, once again, I have been caught not knowing what the f*** I am talking about. :oops: :angel4: :dontknow: :colors:
savduck

Post by savduck »

Yep.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

I use the call quite a bit. And that video by Kenny Morgan is what got me to know about the quaver. That's why I love my Frictionwood caller, it does the best quavers, although I have referred to them as purrs. Been a while since I watched that video I guess. To me it sounds more like purring, but with a whine in it.

I stick the caller in my belly and cover the slot with my finger to make the call. Gives it that throaty sound.

I hear/read a lot of guys talking about the "different sound" of a wingbone, trumpet, or tube call. That Frictionwood has it's own unique sound if you ask me.

I got 2 of the Frictionwood callers from Kenny, one with the disk surface you call on and one where you just call directly on the wood. I like them both but the wood surface one is my favorite.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

In reference to the first video that red posted showing the hen, the sounds she is making is what I have always referred to as the "inquiry/aggravated cluck and purr". To me, its meaning is that the hen is asking "where are you?,...and I am aggravated that I can't see you".

I have always used a similar, but softer, cluck and purr as a response call (I suppose I now know what I do is more properly called a "quaver"). I have also learned over the years that, for wary birds, loud calling like the yelping done on the video is usually a good way to get them to start moving away rather than coming on in. ....Just my experience with those situations.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

GobbleNut wrote:I guess I don't know what a quaver is either if the guy calling on the video was supposed to be doing one. I just thought that he was doing a rather mediocre rendition of a purr on a mouth call.
you wont hear anything mediocre from chris walls.
El Sicario
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

appalachianassassin wrote:
GobbleNut wrote:I guess I don't know what a quaver is either if the guy calling on the video was supposed to be doing one. I just thought that he was doing a rather mediocre rendition of a purr on a mouth call.
you wont hear anything mediocre from chris walls.
Yeah, I shouldn't have said that. I am sure he is a great caller. Having filmed lots of hunts, I know how calling can get distorted by the camera microphone. It just sounded a bit too loud and distorted, especially for that calling situation, but thinking about it, I should Have recognized the problem and kept my mouth shut about it. My bad....and apologies to Chris for the comment. :dontknow: :salute:
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Treerooster wrote: I stick the caller in my belly and cover the slot with my finger to make the call. Gives it that throaty sound.
Well, you're doing it right! Mr. Kenny was nice enough to give me one of his frictionwoods probably around 98-99. He taught me about the quaver at that time....and showed me how to do it exactly as you describe. I'd certainly never heard of it at the time. He claimed that call produced the most realistic quavers of any call made. I certainly couldn't disagree. And I'm with you Treerooster, that frictionwood is a neat little call with a sound all of its own...it's no Morgan tube, but that's another thread. Mine has the all wood surface, no disk.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Quavers

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

[/quote]
you wont hear anything mediocre from chris walls.[/quote]

Very true there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Great replys here! I posted this also on old gobbler.com where my username is quavers also. Just joined both sites from learning about them on HuntingNY.com. I keep my frictionwood in my gun safe! Now, I have alot of custom calls- but tend to lose things. The Morgan Caller stays in there also. Beautiful (zebrawood) case and signed. Never used the Morgan Caller as I am just not a tube man- but glad that I have a great piece of history! That frictionwood is going out with me to PA on April 30th. State Game Lands# 180 is just an hour from where I live in Monroe N.Y.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Waddle Whacker wrote: it's no Morgan tube, but that's another thread.
I would be interested in what you have to say about the Morgan tube. I am not a tube caller but still like to learn stuff and hear about others turkey hunter's experiences.
RapscallionVermilion

GobbleNut wrote:Well, there you have it. What he describes as the quaver,...which sounds to me like three purrs in a row,..
I think you heard it right Jim. At around 1:03 and up through 1:55 or so in this video, he explains how to hold the frictionwood in order to do purrs, does a few examples, and then makes the same sequence (right before "that's deadly on turkeys") he calls a quaver on the other video. Three quick purrs, about 1 second from first to last. Interestingly McIlhenny (Jordan) refers to the "quaver and cluck of the female".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o4lomRLvD0
Rick-618

Post by Rick-618 »

I'm not sure what the racket he's making is but I like it!

Very close cell phone video of a agitated gobbler behind a fence.

https://youtu.be/udmUrO7Vfk0
Last edited by Rick-618 on March 5th, 2016, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Rick-618 wrote:I'm not sure what the racket he's making is but I like it!

https://youtu.be/udmUrO7Vfk0
Now that's what I had always thought was called the quaver. Even at my age, you learn something new every day.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I wish I had a morgan frictionwood. nearly impossible to find one. but, im a pretty good natural voice caller and I can quavey (I call it quavey) nearly as good as the friction wood. maybe even as good.
El Sicario

Return to “Hunt Strategies”