1 Down….1 To Go

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

1 Down….1 To Go

Post by HunterGKS »

The temp was 33 this morning with a fairly strong wind so I decided to delay hitting the woods. I will deer/turkey hunt in the cold but not squirrels. I headed out & got to the woods a little after 10. The temp had gotten up to 46 & only a light breeze so it wasn’t bad.

As I was walking back to my spot, I saw 1 going through the woods into a brush pile with no shot. I got sat down & heard 1 rummaging through the leaves right behind me. It had only been 1-2 minutes. I moved to within a foot or 2 & then went to my right. I caught a glimpse of it out of my peripheral vision & stayed as still as possible hoping it would move out in front of me. The noise stopped & after several seconds, I slowly turned my head, no squirrel. I turned & looked, still no squirrel. It must have climbed a tree & took off through the tree tops.

About ½ hour later, I saw 1 working towards me from my right. Every time it went behind a tree, I moved a little to be ready for a shot. I went behind a stump & I had the .17 shouldered. It jumped on the stump for a perfect shot but it hadn’t ready the same book as I did & jumped down & went into a brush pile before I could shoot. I think this may have been the same bushy that I saw walking in as it came from the same area.

After another hour, I decided to move to the east section. I got about ½ ways there & saw 1 leaving the field going into the woods near a 4-wheeler trail where I was going. I looked but never saw it again. I decided to sit in a slightly different spot &, about 15 minutes later, saw 1 on a stump about 40 yards to my right. I was able to turn a little & get the rifle up. It jumped off the stump & was behind a small downed sapling with no shot. It moved over the sapling & I was able to shoot it. I had aimed at the head but hit high & got a spine hit. He never twitched, just flopped on his side. I stayed put for about 1 ½ hours more & went to check out the wheat field.

I’m always real watchful when approaching the field as I have seen foxes there several times with time being no exception. I spotted 1 along the edge probably 75 yards or more. I was moving the power to 9 while dropping to 1 knee. Unbeknownst to me, there was another further out in the wheat that busted me sending both into the woods. I moved down & found a spot to sit behind some brush & briars where I was hidden but could see the field. I thought they might come back out but, after 1 ½ hours, nada so I called it quits.

This 1 was number 29 & leaves me 1 shy of what I want. I’m hoping to finish out the year tomorrow afternoon but that last 1 will probably be the toughest.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 1 Down….1 To Go

Post by Grumpy »

Rodents !
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good deal George. :thumbup: good luck in the morning. Yep the last one will be hard to get.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Ya' can finish yer' season here :lol: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Grumpy wrote:Rodents !
And extremely tasty. I can cook up any number of dishes with them &, if you et of bowl of any of them on top of your head, your tongue would slap you sillier trying to get at it!!
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote:Good deal George. :thumbup: good luck in the morning. Yep the last one will be hard to get.
Thx but it'll be after lunch. Tues. is 1 of my workout-then-run-errands-then-have-lunch-with-friends-&-family-then-go-squirrel-hunting days.

It's been raining for quite awhile so everything will be wet. Hopefully the sun comes out after lunch & a bushy shows up to dry off & warm up. it'll also give me a chance to field test my new Mucks.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote:Ya' can finish yer' season here :lol: :thumbup:
Too long a trip for bushies.
George

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”