Thurs & Fri 11/05-06 in the Woods

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Thurs & Fri 11/05-06 in the Woods

Post by HunterGKS »

Thurs morning as I was pulling up to my parking spot at the edge of the woods at 7:30, I looked east & saw what was either a spike or a 4 about half way down the corn stubble field. As he trotted into the woods, I saw a nice 8 almost at the far end of the field. It also trotted into the woods. I got seat-up on the south side of the woods & about an hour later, saw movement to my west. It was a basket 8 working his way east just inside the woods. It walked past me at less than 30 yards. A math equation came to mind: deer season + buck inside 30 yards = venison in the freezer. Hopefully I’ll be able to sharpen my math skills in 23 days.

About 10:30, I decided to move to the east section of woods. I did “jump” a fox that ran into the brush piles with no shot. I got set-up &, about 15 minutes later, a fox was hauling tail along a log with a red in hot pursuit. The fox ran close enough that I could have reached out & touched it. The red stopped & started screaming at me but I didn’t get a shot at either.

Friday Morning

I always try to have a “game plan” when I have multiple things to do & always at least 1 back-up plan. Fri was no different. After my work-out, TSC & Wally shopping, I had lunch with friends & family. Plan A was to hunt the woods behind my nieces but we got a lot of rain over night & it was just too muddy to get back to the woods so it was on to plan B which was to head to Sam’s & get groceries. I had also stopped & got some of Carle’s World Famous brats & noticed the skies were clearing. After lunch, it looked like Plan 3 would be invoked which was to go back to my deer woods & do a couple of things to the stand & hunt for a few hours.

There are several downed trees close to the stand & I always watch for bushies. I saw at least 3 deer running around the outside SE corner of the west section. I looked back at the logs & a fox ran over & jumped up on the side of the tree. At 12:40 I put it in the blind as I didn’t want to carry it around but did want to keep it from the yotes. The last time I hunted here, I had seen where squirrels were moving & sat close to that area. Almost immediately, I spotted 1 moving up a tree. I could see it clearly but there were too many small limbs & branches in the way for a shot. Due to the rain, it was pretty quite moving in the woods so I got up & moved up & to my left about 10 yards. I looked at my watch when it hit the ground & it was 12:48. 2 bushies in 8 minutes is pretty good. I did see a red & another fox but no shots. These 2 males make 28 & I need 2 more to reach my self-imposed limit, hopefully sometime next week.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Thurs & Fri 11/05-06 in the Woods

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good deal. Hope ya kill that 8 point in few days. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote:Good deal. Hope ya kill that 8 point in few days. :thumbup:
Thx. I don't deer hunt that woods, only turkey & squirrels but I have been seeing deer as well as rubs & scrapes in my deer woods so, with any luck......................
George

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Hey George I would like to be edgeamacated here. I notice in your post you say (reds) and fox squirrels. Isn't that the same? I have killed greys and fox squirrels before but I'm little confused :drunken:
Now here we have greys that's got a little hint of red to them is that whatcha talkin bout.
Bout all we got here in central ky is fox and greys. Now in town I have spotted some completely white squirrels.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote:Hey George I would like to be edgeamacated here. I notice in your post you say (reds) and fox squirrels. Isn't that the same? I have killed greys and fox squirrels before but I'm little confused :drunken:
Now here we have greys that's got a little hint of red to them is that whatcha talkin bout.
Bout all we got here in central ky is fox and greys. Now in town I have spotted some completely white squirrels.
Reds are a real PIA. They are smaller than a gray & are mahogany colored with a dark strip on each side. They scream & chatter their heads off. If you've ever had a squirrel fuss at you while deer hunting, it was probably a red. I'll see if I can find a good pic.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Alright thanks fer clearing that up. A lot of differences. Never seen or killed one and I've been hunting them for well over 20 years. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

They go by different names depending on where they are. Fairy Diddles in WV, pine squirrels, boomers, & chickarees.
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”