2014 NY Walkabout

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2014 NY Walkabout

Post by HunterGKS »

It seems like I always give Ron, Gblrsrst, something to laugh about so I’ve decided that we need to write a book with a working title of: George’s Gobbler’s Roost Follies & Foibles. The spring 2014 chapter will be called: A Walkabout of the Cemetery Green Field.

On Monday, 05/05, morning about 5:00 A.M., Ron lead me through the maze of brush that is between the cemetery & the green field I was going to hunt. We zigged, zagged, & dosey doed our way through brush higher than our heads. When we broke into the field, Ron showed me the yellow flagging tape he had put up to start into the brush back to the cemetery. We went to the opposite end of the field to set-up & I noted the evergreen patch at the other end as well as the red flashing tower lights of the airport. I figure the lights would be a good landmark to use to get back even after they turned white at daybreak. Ron also warned me not to get onto any of the bush hogged trails or I’d be walking around in the brush for hours.

I killed a nice gobbler, left Ron a voice mail, packed up & headed out. I headed to the evergreens, found the yellow tape & plunged in. I couldn’t see the flashing lights but felt I was going in the right direction I walked for a pretty good piece & couldn’t figure out what I hadn’t gotten to the sheep pasture. I walked some more heading towards the sounds of traffic as the main road runs right past the cemetery. I did find a boot print heading in the opposite direction so I knew I was going the right way.

After quite a bit more walking, I broke out of the brush on top of a ridge looking down through the woods to the river with some evergreens to my right. I called Ron & said, “I think I’m lost.” & told him what I was seeing. He told me to stay put & he would be up in about ½ hour after he finished digging the hole. I walked back up into the brush & spotted a large, wooden tree stand a few hundred yards away & decided to head to it as I knew Ron would know where it was & make it easier to find me. I made my way through the brush & a marshy area to the stand. When I broke out into the field, I looked to my left & said out loud: “YOU HAVE GOT TO BE xxxxxING ME!!!!” . I was within 50 yards of where I had been sitting that morning. I had walked a huge circle around the green field!! Keep in mind I had a large metal frame canvas chair & 2 AvianX dekes in a duffle that I carried like a back pack that weighed 12 pounds, a 10 pound shotgun over my left shoulder, a 20 pound turkey over my right, & a 2 pound fanny pack with my camera & odds & ends for a total of 44 pounds. By the time I got back, I was whupped!!

Ron called a short time later & I said: “You’ll never believe where I am……… Back at the blind!” This is where the laughter started. He said they’d be there in 5 minutes. I knew that wasn’t happening so I unpacked my chair & got comfortable. 15 or 20 minutes later, Ron & his 2 helpers showed up. Ron yelled to be sure to get a picture of the rescue party. My response? “I want to know who’s going to piggy back me.” Everyone, except me, was getting a pretty good chuckle as I explained where I had walked. Turns out it was at least a mile plus all the zigging & zagging. One of the guys carried my gun & the other my duffle. The course we took on the way out was a lot different than going in. We took pretty much a straight line along the edge almost to the sheep pasture. I will definitely remember that for the next time.

All the way back to the trucks, I was catching a little grief & a lot of laughter but of course, Ron assured me that they were “laughing WITH me & not AT me”. YEAH!! RIGHT!! And it don’t rain in Indianapolis in the summer time!!

The kicker to the story is that I was suffering from a bad gall bladder & didn’t have a lot of energy to start with. I only hunted 2 days but did kill 2 good birds before I headed home to Ohio on Tuesday. After I got home, I killed 2 birds after which I had the gall bladder removed.

The brush behind me is what I had to contend with getting back to the truck.

So endith this chapter of George’s Gobbler’s Roost Follies & Foibles.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

gblrsrst

Re: 2014 NY Walkabout

Post by gblrsrst »

I'll post MORE on this when I get a Chance!

OMG - It was Funny!

75 Yards of Brush and he walked a MILE INSTEAD! :walk:

We STILL are LAUGHING! :LMAO:
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

gblrsrst wrote: We STILL are LAUGHING!
And just who is this "we" of whom you speak? You got a mouse in your pocket?? :slap:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Huntin Tales”