Gobbler calls

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Looper

Gobbler calls

Post by Looper »

:canada:

Anybody having any success with a gobbler call , I bought one hoping to wind up the Tom to come to a challenge?
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Gobbler calls

Post by Shooter »

Ask Spuriosity if it works!!! :lol: :lol: But you got to know when to use it!!!
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Yes, have had phenomenal success with the Knight & Hale Hale Fire call. It is a difficult call to master and is made like a duck call. My 14 year old son was an expert with it right out of the package. I wont blow it if I think anybody is in hearing distance. As a last resort I blew it recently and when I blew it a donkey in a nearby pasture went absolutely nuts hee hawing. Drove by this spot last weekend and told my son the story so he said lets go hear the donkey. This time I let him blow the call (8:30 in the am) and when he did a Tom hammered about 300 yards on around a curve in the field( the donkey did not laugh at him). We made a dash through cutover bordering the field and see 2 strutters and 2 hens 200 yards away in a cotton stubble field. I hen called to them for 30 minutes and they didn't move 10 yards. I told him to start gobbling back at them every time they gobble and to throw in a few extra gobbles if he wanted to. 30 minutes later both of them are riding in the back of my truck. This is the third year he has used the call and we have killed 6 toms using it that we absolutely would not have killed otherwise. Twice he has called Toms away from a flock of hens to their death. This call sounds like a turkey if you can master it!!!! He is good with a duck call too, and I think you can either blow it or you can't. I can't. The call costs about $15.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Sounds about right for your part of the country, 2 coming to beat the hell out of one and then a
bystander pulls a gun and a couple of perpetrators are dead, any witnesses run off, the gun winds up in a vehicle and taken away from the shooting scene and some offspring are left without a father.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

Anybody having any success with a gobbler call , I bought one hoping to wind up the Tom to come to a challenge?
I am still in the process and surely, I will dictate here what I have experienced. :)
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Shooter wrote:Ask Spuriosity if it works!!! :lol: :lol: But you got to know when to use it!!!
Absolutely. Shooter uses one to great effect. How do you think he keeps killing those paint brushing limbhangers?
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Great call, but like Shooter said, you have to know when to use it!
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

I keep one in my vest and will use it when birds are henned up. To me it seems to rile the toms in thinking someone else is cutting their grass. :mrgreen:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Jake yelps work fine and don't get people coming to set up on you. Most people can't differentiate jakes and hens, but gobblers sure can.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Grumpy wrote:Sounds about right for your part of the country, 2 coming to beat the hell out of one and then a
bystander pulls a gun and a couple of perpetrators are dead, any witnesses run off, the gun winds up in a vehicle and taken away from the shooting scene and some offspring are left without a father.
Damn,Grunpy you are warped worse than me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Yep, but with our long seasons it's not always about a challenge.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

guesswho wrote:Yep, but with our long seasons it's not always about a challenge.
Some years yer right.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

howl wrote:Jake yelps work fine and don't get people coming to set up on you. Most people can't differentiate jakes and hens, but gobblers sure can.
Well said I use Jake yelps with a trumpet or a tube a lot and get a bird to come in to check out who's in his territory
I thought you would be BIGGER
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

Yep a Gobble in the right circumstance can do wonders.

Joe
Eph 2:8-9
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hobie wrote:
howl wrote:Jake yelps work fine and don't get people coming to set up on you. Most people can't differentiate jakes and hens, but gobblers sure can.
Well said I use Jake yelps with a trumpet or a tube a lot and get a bird to come in to check out who's in his territory
I think alot of these"worst calling I ever heard came from a hen" was actually a jake.. I cannot count the number of folks lean over and go he has hens and its a jake yelping that you cannot see.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

This upcoming Memorial Day Weekend--- I intend to use a gobble call. I figure the toms might regroup in late May this Spring rather then June up here in NY. I am taking a orange hat with me though. Really tough Spring! I took a jake in NJ and another here in NY. Hoping to see a longbeard before my season is out.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Gobbler calls

Post by hawglips »

Used a gobble call on Thursday to try to rouse one to gobble on the roost. It worked, though I didn't end up killing that particular bird.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Used a gobble call to strike a bird on a calm, still morning this year. 90 minutes later I had a tag on him.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

This spring was odd in our area and we did very very well but gobbler yelps and gobbling got many to commit.
Icedturkeys is correct in saying that many think jakes yelping are hens and I think many birds are killed by responding to jake yelps. Thing is, the people making those yelps think they are doing a fine hen yelp. Listening to callers that come to get calls from me makes me realize that a large number of people yelp with a slower cadence than most hens and want that throaty rasp of a jake.
What I'm trying to say is, guys are jake yelping at gobblers alot and don't know it.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Gobbler calls can work wonders in the right situations.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

anyone try the haint...?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Here is a gobbler striker. The double pegs are used to gobble on a slate. The other end has a single peg tuned for fighting purrs.

The fella that made it sounded pretty good with it. I never have. I think it was Jim Young of wing bone reknown, but it was maybe twenty years ago, so...
Attachments
IMG_20160530_103527116.jpg
IMG_20160530_103358778.jpg
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I think Tuscarora Legend did a gobbler striker just like that, though I agree - that was about twenty years ago.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I really think that a gobbler call is useful towards 20 minutes before sunset to locate 1-3 gobblers for the next morning. I have never roosted a gobbler yet-- but the gobble shaker will give me his general area and that is all I need to know for the next mornings hunt.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

quavers16 wrote:I really think that a gobbler call is useful towards 20 minutes before sunset to locate 1-3 gobblers for the next morning. I have never roosted a gobbler yet-- but the gobble shaker will give me his general area and that is all I need to know for the next mornings hunt.
If you've never roosted one before, how do you know it works??? :shock:
I've roosted more than I can remember, and I don't remember one bird answering a gobble in the eve.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”