Jakes

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
ole5beards

Re: Jakes

Post by ole5beards »

Gobbler wrote:Are you saying if he gobbles and struts and acts like a boss gobbler ...He's going to die like a boss gobbler? :mrgreen:
The last time I tngoed with a jake he did!! Chased him on public land for about 3 hours, the whole time I was thinking, he's either really old and smart or a jake, but I didn't care I was committed. When I finally caught up to him I saw that broken fan and didn't bat an eye!! He had me excited and and gave me a good run so I wanted to save a lot of other hunters several years off their life from chasing him!!! Honestly I did not care that he was a jake!
Pass the biscuits!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I've never shot one, but I'm pretty sure I'd do it under those circumstances.
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Jakes

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

hookedspur wrote:They make better dinner . :D
X2 turkey breast is turkey breast..Hen,Jake Gobbler,I eat em all the same..I know one ol timer who won't touch em..Couldn't believe him,like who doesn't like turkey breast!!
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Jakes

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

About two years ago I got a package in the mail see pic below..At first I was like who in the heck is this from..Never said anything then a few days later my buddy said did you get a package...He got me good
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Hope I get a chance to shoot one this year.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Isn't it true if you are hunting with TSS that it is cheaper to buy a 14 lb turkey at the grocery store on the way home than to waste a shell on a Jake??
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Good thing I don't shoot TSS. Some of the Merriam's toms I've killed didn't weigh over 14 lbs, and that included the poorly penetrating lead that was still stuck in their head.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Gobbler wrote:Isn't it true if you are hunting with TSS that it is cheaper to buy a 14 lb turkey at the grocery store on the way home than to waste a shell on a Jake??
Quite true.

But I object to the premise of "wasting" a shell on a jake. :struttin:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

hawglips wrote:
Gobbler wrote:Isn't it true if you are hunting with TSS that it is cheaper to buy a 14 lb turkey at the grocery store on the way home than to waste a shell on a Jake??
Quite true.

But I object to the premise of "wasting" a shell on a jake. :struttin:
:toothy7:
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

I will say after the last 2 years of not getting one and not really being able to hunt North American animals do to work. If one of those unwanted Jakes come out on me I'm going to dust his @ss. Doug I will make stops at your spots to look for unwanted jakes would hate to have them mess up your gobbler spots..
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

I always like reading threads like this.

The only thing that bothers me about someone shooting a Jake (since its just about jakes) is that they say, "it is just a Jake". If you shot one be as proud about it and show respect for the bird (not just dragging it across the ground). That will cause me to :struttin: and maybe have a conversation with you.

I just love hearing a good turkey hunting story no matter what the sex or age of bird.

Would I shot a Jake? I have.
Will I in the future? Don't know.
Last time? Quite a few years ago.

Isn't it true if you are hunting with TSS that it is cheaper to buy a 14 lb turkey at the grocery store on the way home than to waste a shell on a Jake??

:lol: I knew that would ruffle Hawglips feathers.

But heck I still shot lead and it would be cheaper for me to stay home. Got to love this sport and have a very understanding and supportive wife.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Have had opportunities last 3 seasons on jakes on opening day, and had a blast watching them strut and gobble!
Never took the safety off, but man, it was fun!
Personally, I haven't killed one since my first bird which was a jake, and don't really want too, but my buddies first bird was a jake, and that was one of the toughest, most rewarding hunts I had ever been a part of! We called that bird from close to 300 yards across a field. He jumped a stone wall, went into the woods, and was hammering like a big boy! He circled around us, and hopped back on the wall, and my buddy dusted his azz!
If you want to kill one, I am for it. If you don't want to kill one, I am for it. Hunting is a very personal endeavor, and what you harvest is strictly your business. If the animal is harvested ethically and within the boundaries of fish and game laws, have fun and enjoy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

:toothy7: :toothy7: Anybody that shoots a jake must have a little peepee....
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

OK OK OK . I didn't realize so many were not ready to go Jakeless. So Rick and I will pass out some Jake Exempt cards for those who need them.

Gobblenut you better get one. You to VAturkey. Just PM me and I'll send you one.

GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Uhhh,...one question,....Can the certificate be photocopied? There are some guys on here that will need a bunch of 'em.... :mrgreen:
Oh yeah,...and could you put mine in a frame for me?... :toothy7:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

we are just trying to provide what the public needs. :lol:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

My wife has no problem taking Jake's, because they taste better. My Tom's can't compare taste wise with a Jake. She judges wild game, by taste vs trophy appeal. I have turned down hundreds of Jake kills to chase Tom's. In one day hunting Nebraska I had over 25 Jake's come into kill range, and not one Tom. Boy, that was irritating.
ImageImageImage
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Jaybird wrote:
My wife has no problem taking Jake's, because they taste better. My Tom's can't compare taste wise with a Jake. She judges wild game, by taste vs trophy appeal. I have turned down hundreds of Jake kills to chase Tom's. In one day hunting Nebraska I had over 25 Jake's come into kill range, and not one Tom. Boy, that was irritating.
If Gobbler had been there, it would have sounded like 2nd battle of Bull Run! :D
turk835

Post by turk835 »

If he gobbles and puts on a show then it's a good hunt. I've had longbeards that ran in and jakes that I worked hard to call in thinking it would be a longbeard. It wasn't. Sometimes the jake is a tough nut to crack as well so I don't have anything against harvesting a good bird that provided me with an exciting hunt.

Bill
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

GobbleNut wrote::toothy7: :toothy7: Anybody that shoots a jake must have a little peepee....
It ain't the size of your beard,it's how you shave your face. :mrgreen:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

I've let a lot of jakes walk, last one I killed was about 6 years ago, he played the game like a man to the bitter end, and he died like a man. Can't say I will never shoot another jake, but as of right now...... not in my immediate plans.

Now if I'm out with a first timer, if it's legal and that's what they want, then the safety is off, 100% their call.
"INFIDEL"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Sometimes, it's "all show, and no go" for me :violent1:

But then, if it was like one I called in for my ole' farmer client buddy in Michigan, that weighed 19# .. well now there's some eatin' on that one :D
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Just not gonna shoot one. Never have, never will. I'd rather go without and take a chance on him being around next year. I had to suffer through tag soup one year, even though I just about got run over by jakes.

I got nothing against anybody who wants to spend their tag legally on whatever turkey they choose. I just know that any jake I kill won't be gobbling next year when he's bigger, badder, and has more sense. My tags, my choice.

Jim
fountain

Post by fountain »

say if youre on a pay hunt and time is running our and all you can get on for whatever reason is a jake..and its a new subspecies? what ya gonna do?

and I don't need the "i'll never pay for a turkey hunt"

Return to “Hunt Strategies”