2018 fall shotgun season

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
swampchicken

2018 fall shotgun season

Post by swampchicken »

Well it started off with a bang on the afternoon of Oct 1st. With me getting one gobbler then when the group went to roost there was hens roost close to the gobblers which made them start gobbling like crazed fools. The morning of the 2nd my handicapped father and my girlfriend headed to known roost location while I was stuck working. They set up as girlfriend the shooter which set up closer to roost 70yds away and dad as the caller 60yds behind her. Birds were gobbling and strutting on the limb she could see them. When they pitched down they flew past her and landed to the side of dad. Boom dad shoots first one and second shot didn't hit the mark so bird #2 lives for another day. Work kept me pretty busy till Friday the 12th early afternoon I was able to escape from jobsite by 1pm. Its lightly raining and knew where there should be some birds. I change into camo and head to the spot. When I am walking in I spot a gobbler not even 100yds away coming at me. I jump to the brush on edge of field and let it keep coming towards me. Thinking it was just one gobbler was a big mistake! Turned out to be a flock of hens and 4 gobblers about 25 birds total. Knowing that is a lot of eyes and not much cover I was in I knew the moment a gobbler gave a clear and clean shot I better take it. When the hens got to 25yds the closest gobbler got to about 40yds boom I took the shot. Quick and easy hunt and didn't last 10minutes which tagged me out. So Saturday the 13th in the morning I take the girlfriend there only to have a coyote run in to the turkeys at fly down and scare them off the land I could hunt so we go home and cook breakfast. Then decide we would go out that afternoon to a different location to try. We sit there no response but knew that they sometimes roost there. Sure enough I see 2 gobblers coming down the hillside towards us at about 75yds away I point them out to her and tell her the lead bird was the biggest of the 2. When they get in range I hear her safety come off then boom then told her to shoot the other gobbler that only ran about 5yds to the side of first one. Boom she pulled a clean double on 2 nice longbeards and is tagged out also. So its been a good fall season here with 5 longbeards down and only one tag left to go.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2018 fall shotgun season

Post by OLE RASPY »

Dang that is a good season. Congrats to yall
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

awesome! we open for shotgun on the 17th
hoping to get me wife on a fall gobbler!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
jryser

Post by jryser »

hoobilly wrote:awesome! we open for shotgun on the 17th
hoping to get me wife on a fall gobbler!
I’m ready!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Congratulations!
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Since you're having a good season, may I ask what calls you're making to get the gobblers to respond?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
MAK

Post by MAK »

Good for u guys
MAK
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

dsunday wrote: October 15th, 2018, 7:19 am Since you're having a good season, may I ask what calls you're making to get the gobblers to respond?
Gobbler yelps and hen cutting with yelps.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Where are all the great pictures of these turkeys?
Mike

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”