Another Utah Fall Gobbler...

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
toasty

Another Utah Fall Gobbler...

Post by toasty »

My daughter, who has never hunted turkeys, hunted turkeys several times this fall and has multiple opportunities to harvest a turkey. From missing, to shotgun operating issues, to just not being comfortable enough to pull the trigger, she finally got it done. We had permission to hunt a property that the division of wildlife is trapping which has pushed the turkeys into a new area we didn't know, but still in the boundaries. We finally found the birds and had a really good break up. This lonely guy made way too much noise and we were able to sneak in and get a shot. A couple shot later and 30 minute tracking job in the fresh snow, she found her turkey. She wanted to give up and got frustrated, it was cold and getting dark, but we just kept tracking that bird. Felt more like a deer hunt than a turkey hunt. One the way back to the truck she kept asking if it was a trophy. I told her Aldo Leupold said "The value of a trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." It is a trophy bird if I have ever seen one. BTW, took it with a 28ga Savage O/U with 1 1/8oz of TSS #8.5.

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Another Utah Fall Gobbler...

Post by Grumpy »

Good Job :thumbup:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Another Utah Fall Gobbler...