A CLASSIC at The Roost!

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
gblrsrst

A CLASSIC at The Roost!

Post by gblrsrst »

Bustedspur tagged out yesterday so he borrowed my Bow and hunted his Favorite Small Meadow Treestand! While there he spotted a Good Size Flock of Decent birds headed to Roost! As to Deer Hunting --- He got a shot at Dark but missed!

Morning broke with a dusting of snow and after coffee and giving turkeys time to flydown we were on our way!

Jinger Lou was loosed and off through the woods she ranged! At the upper edge we spot FRESH SCRATCHINGS and see the flock about 350 yards away in a High weed uncut hay field! Jinger Lou was working out the Scent Trail and we got to see the WHOLE THING! She Split the flock and put half to flight towards a Nice patch of woods. The others had broke on the ground towards woods in the other direction and Jinger Lou picked up their scent and Scattered them! SWEET SIGHT!

Set-up was made with George 30 yards in front of me and bustedspur about 30 yards to his west! After 15 Minutes I sent out some yelps Walt and George chipped in and the Call Back was on! After about 30 minutes the birds started to answer. I was a Bit Higher than George and I could see birds way before George could! BTW -- George was the shooter! Then I heard some Clucks from the other woods that the second half of the break went Scattering! Then a Couple of Gobbles, a Flydown and a LOT OF OTHER TURKEY SOUNDS!

ALL OF US JOINED IN AND Walt and I waited for the CLIMAX............ To Be Continued!
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A CLASSIC at The Roost!

Post by Turkinator »

That sounds like a blast!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Looking forward to hear the rest!!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Sweet .. :thumbup:
So, where's all the pic's so far, at " the table eatin" :lol: :stir: :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

hawglips wrote:Looking forward to hear the rest!!
Yea, really!!! You got to the good part and got us all pumped up and????? :dontknow:
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

What a tease. So good so far. Sounds like fun.
Eph 2:8-9
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

let's hear (read) the "rest of the story"! (to steal from Paul Harvey),,,,,,,
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Lookin forward to the pics :thumbup:
gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

ALL OF US JOINED IN AND Walt and I waited for the CLIMAX............ To Be Continued!
Gobbling, Yelping, Cutting and Purring was heard ALL DIRECTIONS!

This is one of the BEST PARTS OF FALL TURKEY DOGG'N I LOVE!

All the Time Jinger Lou is just setting there WATCHING!

Come On George --- SHOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
luvtahunt

Post by luvtahunt »

I thought George had eye surgery so he Could,see the birds better . Pull the trigger,this ain't squirrel huntin, Lol Just make sure you identify first.
gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

Now -- Walt and I both had been watching a NUMBER of these turkeys in front of George and Both wondered what was taking so long for the shot!

WELLLLLLLLLLL --- even HOST guides HAVE Bears to Cross or Crosses to Bear! :violent1:

Last fall I sat George up on a Break and he uses a Gobbler Lounge and DOES NOT set up close to a Tree!

I CANNOT get it through his head that he sticks out like a sore thumb! :stir:

But George Being George -- You aren't going to change him!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I put him in a hole between a couple of trees and this made it so he could NOT see the turkeys till they were within 40 yards! :cheers: :salute:

This is why he waited so long...
Last edited by gblrsrst on October 21st, 2015, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Maybe ya' better let George tell his side of the story 1st .. cause it's soundin' like the guide scewed with him a bit' !! :stir:

Besides, he'll have "eatin' " pics to share, when he does :lol: :thumbup:
luvtahunt

Post by luvtahunt »

I don'tttt think it's the guide!!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

BOOM!!!!

To be continued.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I’m going to add my comments to Ron’s story in red.

Bustedspur tagged out yesterday so he borrowed my Bow and hunted his Favorite Small Meadow Treestand! While there he spotted a Good Size Flock of Decent birds headed to Roost! As to Deer Hunting --- He got a shot at Dark but missed!

Morning broke with a dusting of snow and after coffee and giving turkeys time to flydown we were on our way!

It’s hard to tell, but the ground was white. These were taken from the porch of The Roost.

Jinger Lou was loosed and off through the woods she ranged! At the upper edge we spot FRESH SCRATCHINGS and see the flock about 350 yards away in a High weed uncut hay field! Jinger Lou was working out the Scent Trail and we got to see the WHOLE THING! She Split the flock and put half to flight towards a Nice patch of woods. The others had broke on the ground towards woods in the other direction and Jinger Lou picked up their scent and Scattered them! SWEET SIGHT!

Ron & Walt saw the birds initially but I some how missed them but was the only 1 to see the 4 ran past a silage wagon into the woods. This was the last bunch that Jinger Lou broke up.

Set-up was made with George 30 yards in front of me and bustedspur about 30 yards to his west! After 15 Minutes I sent out some yelps Walt and George chipped in and the Call Back was on! After about 30 minutes the birds started to answer.

I was a Bit Higher than George and I could see birds way before George could!

The day before, I was in the “Safari Seat” & saw birds that Ron & Walt couldn’t see so it was their turn.

BTW -- George was the shooter! Then I heard some Clucks from the other woods that the second half of the break went Scattering! Then a Couple of Gobbles, a Flydown and a LOT OF OTHER TURKEY SOUNDS!

ALL OF US JOINED IN AND Walt and I waited for the CLIMAX............

Gobbling, Yelping, Cutting and Purring was heard ALL DIRECTIONS!

There were birds to the left of me, birds to the right, & I was stuck in the middle waiting for 1 to come within range. I love to hear all the chatter when a fall flock is trying to get back together.

This is one of the BEST PARTS OF FALL TURKEY DOGG'N I LOVE!

All the Time Jinger Lou is just setting there WATCHING!

Now -- Walt and I both had been watching a NUMBER of these turkeys in front of George and Both wondered what was taking so long for the shot!

I did see 3 birds to my right but all were too far for a shot as well as a lot of saplings in the way. One of them stood looking my way for at least 10 minutes before it headed down the hill. If it had kept up its path, I would have had a shot but it went right & down over a small hump.

WELLLLLLLLLLL --- even HOST guides HAVE Bears to Cross or Crosses to Bear!

WELLLLLLLLLLL --- even GUESTS HAVE Bears to Cross or Crosses to Bear!

Last fall I sat George up on a Break and he uses a Gobbler Lounge and DOES NOT set up close to a Tree!

I CANNOT get it through his head that he sticks out like a sore thumb!

But George Being George -- You aren't going to change him!

I CANNOT get it through Ron’s head that, if I’m uncomfortable, I fidget. If I fidget, I spook turkeys.

But, Ron Being Ron – You aren’t going to change him!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I put him in a hole between a couple of trees and this made it so he could NOT see the turkeys till they were within 40 yards!

This is why he waited so long...

As I was watching a bird on my right move up towards Walt, I heard a yelp in front of me to my left & got my gun up into position. A few seconds later, he showed up & stood there long enough to take a load of Federal HeavyWeight 3” #7 Magic Pixie Dust in the head at 38 yards.

Walt, Jinger Lou, me & my turkey. It was 22 degrees when we hit the woods, hence the goofy looking hat.

The reason for my fall addiction, a dyed in the wool, honest to goodness, turkey dog pusher.

BTW, There will be more pics & stories.
George

luvtahunt

Post by luvtahunt »

Nice going George. I sure am glad you can take a little ribbing. Next year might be my turn. Have a safe trip home.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Looks like a blast fo sho!!! Kind-of wish I was there! When I used to go to PA, and hunt with my uncle, That is how we did it.
Don't worry about the tree ribbin. I get in a depression in the ground too. I never liked at the base of a tree.
Usually when you can finally see em, you can kill em!! :thumbup:
I like watchin em just as much as the next man, but when I want to put em in the truck, I get hidden.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

George, ya' didn' have to be "politically" corrective on yer' story :lol: Cause it didn' take long to see that ole' Ron was tryin' to make it tough goin fer' ya' :colors:

It takes a lot of nerb's of steel to not figit, when you have birds all around ya' and have to try and choose the closest to concentrate on :banghead:

Love yer' hat, as I have one I wear all the time, and can even put hand warmers on the slots in the sides to keep my ears warm in the coldest weather!!! :thumbup: "BUT", I do carry my Have Call Will Travel hat, in my vest ;)

Hey .. where's the eatin' pics.????? :stir: :LMAO:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

luvtahunt wrote:Nice going George. I sure am glad you can take a little ribbing. Next year might be my turn. Have a safe trip home.
Thx. Funny you should mention that. Ron & I talked several times & agree that: "If you can't handle what happens at Turkey Camp, don't come to Turkey Camp." It has worked well for us & makes it more fun when everyone's balls get busted.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Shooter, We always have a great time, even when it's a 3 Dog night & you only have 1 dog!! :thumbleft:

I have a fake knee, another bad 1, the hips yelp, bad back & neck, so it is extremely uncomfortable to sit on the ground with my back to a tree. I have to be able to move somewhat but the Gobbler Lounger helps tremendously. I do try to get as close as possible but I'd have to be part of the bark to satisfy Ron. :violent3: :LMAO:
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Charlie, Ron knows his birds pretty well & just about every time he has told me where to sit, I have always at least seen birds if not killed where he said they'd be.

We don't have a table per se to sit around but the meals seemed to be enjoyed by all.
George

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Looks like y'all had a blast!!

Congrats on a great hunt!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

It definitely was a great time. Thx, Hal.
George

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Congrats on the fall hunt. Don't let them stop ya from sitting out there in that gobbler lounger. I killed these 2 fall birds this week. I had birds all around me looking for the bird that was calling them and none of them knew I was there until the shot. Even had several nice toms strutting and gobbling at 35 yards.

gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

Timbrhuntr,

That is a Great Looking Set-up and it is close to how George was set-up on this hunt!

BTW -- I'm Yanking on George about his Chair -- BUTTTT __ Last Year he sat it up RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WOODS --- WITH NO COVER! :violent1:

I HAVE TO RAG ON HIM!!!!! :turkeywave:

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”