Turkeys DON'T Read Books ... A Fall Primer!

Everything pertaining to hunting fall turkeys. From calls to Turkey dogs.
gblrsrst

Turkeys DON'T Read Books ... A Fall Primer!

Post by gblrsrst »

Here I set, 3AM first Saturday in October and NOT ABLE TO HUNT TURKEYS in this part of New York State! So I’ll “Talk Turkey” and see if that helps!

Everybody wants to know , “What do I do to Call in Fall Turkeys”? Well, They DON’T Read Books … So be ready and willing to Try ANYTHING! Following will be a few hunts that have occurred at “Gobbler’s Roost” while Turkey Doggin’!

Gobbler Field Break!

Five of us along with our dogs gathered one fine October weekend and we along with 5 dogs set out to HUNT TURKEYS! Gretchen, Huntr and I were in the first truck and we entered a Large Back Meadow and see about 9 Gobblers in the meadow! Release Gretchen and the Break was on! Nice Cone shape scatter into a woods that I was familiar with! Rest of guys catch up and we begin discussing strategy for the Call Back! One of the guys decided he DIDN’T like the set-up and wanted to find HUNTABLE birds! NO PROBLEM! Three were left with instructions on how to set-up in the Scatter woods and the other one and I left with our 3 dogs in pursuit elsewhere!

We arrive at the “Honey-Hole” and let the dogs loose! 300 Yards in and they pickup SCENT! The Break is ON! Lots of Barking and we see a LARGE BIRD in flight! GOBBLERS!!!!! Set up is made and we wait 20 - 30 minutes and then send out 1 DEEP CLUCK! ANSWERED BACK with a DEEP CLUCK!!!

Then we wait and hear another Cluck a little closer! He’s coming so we just Low cluck, SLIGHTLY! Bird circles a downfall and comes RIGHT TO THE BARREL! BOOM, Gobbler Down! High Fives and my Buddy wonders if the other guys had as Good of a Hunt?

Meanwhile as we get back in phone range we get an EXCITED Message from the others and Can’t Wait to Hear “The Rest Of The Story”! Seems they set up on the Gobbler “Field Break” as I told them to and had 40 Minutes of CONSTANT GOBBLING! One of the guys had a Gobbler sneak in behind him and he MISSED! But the other two got to work Gobblers to the gun Just Like SPRING BIRDS! Three Gobblers down on Two Very Different Hunts!

NEW DOG -- FIRST HUNT!

Friend arrived with his New Brynes Dog and we went to the Gravel Bed for his First Hunt! Dogs loosed and NOT 30 Seconds this under 6 Month Old Dog is in FULL VOICE BREAK! We have a WINNER HERE! Set up is made and after about 30 minutes and a little light calling he makes a shot! Then after about 5 Minutes another Shot???? I catch up with them and get the story! Bird had snuck in and was shot at 20 Yards! Stumbled away and took Wounded Flight landing DEAD in the Crook of a Tree! Took hunter a few minutes to figure out what happened and he Shot the Branch Off bringing the Dead Bird Down!

Young Fall Gobblers -- LOTS OF CALLING!

Gretchen and I met up with another hunter and his Brynes Dog and set off through a BEAUTIFUL Fall Woods! Birds were a Little hard To Find! Finally at the farthest point we were going a Break was on! We make a Good Set up and wait with Gretchen and me on one side of a tree watching a flat of woods and the other two hunter and dog facing the rising woods coming to the flat! 45 Minutes and a CLUCK is heard! I say. I’ll Call! I Cluck on my Copper Pot and ALL HELL BREAKS OUT! Clucking and Gobbling! SO --- It’s On Like Donkey Kong! I’m just HAMMERING THE COPPER and they are Just HAMMERING BACK! 6 Young Gobblers is what we have! Bang - One Down and we are just there Catching our Breath!!!!

GRETCHEN’S LAST GOBBLER’S!

It had been a LONG FALL and Gretchen and I had hosted a LOT of Guest with Most getting birds! Believe it or Not I had NOT shot a bird and it was the Last Day! ONE OF OUR Favorite Fields was our destination on a Fine Late fall Morning and the Turkey Gods smiled on us! There was about 10 Gobblers leaving the field as we got there and “OLD GRETCH” caught up with them and put them in Flight! Steep Side hill and I No More Got set up when I heard and saw Gobblers Gathering ALREADY! They were going to walk right by us and I got TWO Heads in my sights and we were TAGGED OUT!

GRANDSON’S FIRST HUNT!

When my Grandson was four I had trained a new dog for Fall Turkey Hunting. Grandson Evan had been around during the training and was looking forward to his FIRST REAL HUNT!

Well, October 1st came along and there I was with a 6 month old Green Hunting Dog and a 4 Year old Grandson!

Our cabin at Gobbler’s Roost was our choice and upon arising and having a good breakfast we stepped out onto the porch to start our search for turkeys. The Hunting Gods Shined on us as there was a feeding flock 400 yards away just reentering the woods.

Off to the end of the field we went with Jinger Lou, my young Boytel Spaniel and Evan in tow! This would be Jinger Lou’s FIRST EVER BREAK and she was a PRO! Turkeys flying everywhere with even 3 or 4 running past us! What a show!

Next was the task of settling down a 4 year old, a pup and a GRANDPA for the call back! Perfect spot picked and the call back was on. Fifteen minutes and I hear an answer to my call and I state to Evan that the turkey is right in front of us at about 30 yards! WRONG THING TO DO as he moved to see it! We settle back down and the bird starts working again in about 5 minutes. By this time both Evan and Jinger Lou are TOTALLY focused on the bird and I make the shot!

The only reason Evan was the first to the dead bird was that he WASN’T on a leash like Jinger Lou was!

Evan insisted that he would carry the bird back to the cabin that was about 500 yards away!
Now -- This is the Smallest turkey I have ever shot and he was able to carry it over his shoulder!

Then the BEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD ON A HUNT CAME OUT….. He looks back over his shoulder and says, “PAPA, Trophy Turkeys Sure are HEAVY!”

YES THEY ARE!

SO, As you can see -- TRY ANYTHING as “They DON’T Read Books”!
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkeys DON'T Read Books ... A Fall Primer!

Post by hawglips »

Awesome!!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

great stories,,,,especially that last one - I like Evan's style!
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

NOICE!!! :D :D :D
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Great stories. I think I would love to hunt behind a good turkey dog once. Its alot harder to get good breaks when you are the dog !
luvtahunt

Post by luvtahunt »

Ron, sure do remember that first hunt,and all the rest. We've sure have had some good memories at the Roost.DNR has really put the screws to fall turkeydoggin. Damn politics!!
Wolframfan

Post by Wolframfan »

Great post, thank you!

I'm in Tioga County
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

luvtahunt wrote:DNR has really put the screws to fall turkeydoggin. Damn politics!!
What did they do?
gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

hawglips wrote:
luvtahunt wrote:DNR has really put the screws to fall turkeydoggin. Damn politics!!
What did they do?

Glad you asked!

I will answer it on a New Thread!
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Awesome stories
I thought you would be BIGGER

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting & Turkey Dogs”