Dallas

WV Ridge Reaper

Dallas

Post by WV Ridge Reaper » January 11th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Guys I hardly watch nfl ball..But I just watch Dallas get cheated out of a possible game changing play.

What did you see ?

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Dallas

Post by CamoMan4025 » January 11th, 2015, 4:23 pm

I saw an incomplete pass and Green Bay winning!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"

crenshawco

Post by crenshawco » January 11th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Yep that was bs

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 » January 11th, 2015, 4:39 pm

He did not maintain total control of the ball; therefore....INCOMPLETE PASS!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"

GobbleNut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GobbleNut » January 11th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Once again, it is unfortunate that games are decided by controversy due to ref calls. Detroit fans had good reason to complain last week,...and now Dallas fans will have good reason to complain this week. That's just the way it is,...and some things will never change.

I used to let that kind of stuff bother me, but then decided it was best just to never get to attached to teams in sports. When they take the human judgement element out of refereeing games (go to some form of instant replay analysis that eliminates the human element and bias), then I might start caring again. Until then, it don't make me no never mind....

WV Ridge Reaper

Dallas

Post by WV Ridge Reaper » January 11th, 2015, 5:20 pm

CamoMan4025 wrote:He did not maintain total control of the ball; therefore....INCOMPLETE PASS!
My take is he had control hit the ground lost control still had body/hand contact with the ball...Now to me he caught the ball fumbled it if that's what you wanna call it and recovered it

I just think it was a total bs call..Like I said I don't watch NFL much and never watched the Detroit game but Dallas got the wrong call today.

GobbleNut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GobbleNut » January 11th, 2015, 6:38 pm

My understanding of the rules is that the ground cannot cause a fumble, therefore the idea of a fumble does not come into play here. The question is whether he had control of the ball after catching it for long enough for it to be ruled a catch. In my opinion, that is a completely subjective determination in this case and totally brings the human judgement element (and potential bias) into play.

So how would one take that out in cases like this? Technology. If they had in the rules that a player had to have control of the ball for some specific amount of time,...let's say 1.5 full seconds from the time he has full control of the ball (which it appeared he did when he first grabbed it) until he made contact with the ground, there would be no subjective interpretation. All they would have to do is measure the amount of time from when the receiver has full ball control until he loses that control. If it is more than 1.5 seconds (or whatever time is agreed upon), it is a catch, and if it is less than that, it is not.

Instead, we have an arbitrary system where subjective opinions determine outcomes. Total BS and totally unnecessary.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES » January 11th, 2015, 7:48 pm

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES » January 11th, 2015, 8:08 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler » January 11th, 2015, 8:14 pm

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz » January 11th, 2015, 8:29 pm

GobbleNut wrote: All they would have to do is measure the amount of time from when the receiver has full ball control until he loses that control. If it is more than 1.5 seconds (or whatever time is agreed upon), it is a catch, and if it is less than that, it is not.

Instead, we have an arbitrary system where subjective opinions determine outcomes. Total BS and totally unnecessary.
So then the only arbitrary thing would be the amount of time that the receiver has "full ball control"!!!! How do you time that and it will still boil down to a refs interpretation of when the control started and when it ended. :dontknow:
They make rules and now with replay, they can verify them. The system works. The catch today was, by definition, an incomplete pass! Plain and simple.
Dallas lived by the sword last week, today they died from it. The only difference is that last week it was a bullsh!t call and replay didn't come into play. It was the refs decision to pick up the flag.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

GobbleNut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GobbleNut » January 11th, 2015, 11:26 pm

"They make rules and now with replay, they can verify them. The system works."

If the system in place worked, we would not be here two weeks in a row with fans are screaming that their team got hosed. And there have been multiple comments on this forum, and elsewhere, where lots of people are complaining about the officiating, not only in these two games, but throughout this season and in the past. There is a better way,...subjective calls by officials are rampant in sports and they are unnecessary to a large extent.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES » January 12th, 2015, 9:52 am

GobbleNut wrote:"They make rules and now with replay, they can verify them. The system works."

If the system in place worked, we would not be here two weeks in a row with fans are screaming that their team got hosed. And there have been multiple comments on this forum, and elsewhere, where lots of people are complaining about the officiating, not only in these two games, but throughout this season and in the past. There is a better way,...subjective calls by officials are rampant in sports and they are unnecessary to a large extent.
Hog is right.. The call is exactly right, its this rule that sucks and not the review in this case.. The review worked exactly as intended.. We in MI know a little about this rule it cost us a game against the Bears a few years ago and is dubbed the "Calvin Johnson Rule"..

The debate on the system as it pertains to last week is whether penalties should be reviewable.. Well that and the fact never in the history of the league has a penalty been called, announced, marked off and than overturned.

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr » January 12th, 2015, 10:05 am

The consistent part of this whole theme is that the refs got the call wrong in the first place. They are just totally incompetent or they are trying to influence the game! I am neither a green bay nor a dallas fan but when I saw that play I told my daughter that's incomplete. When they called it a catch I said here we go again.I am actually surprised that they got it right after the review.

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz » January 12th, 2015, 10:21 am

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
GobbleNut wrote:"They make rules and now with replay, they can verify them. The system works."

Hog is right.. The call is exactly right, its this rule that sucks and not the review in this case.. The review worked exactly as intended.. We in MI know a little about this rule it cost us a game against the Bears a few years ago and is dubbed the "Calvin Johnson Rule"..

The debate on the system as it pertains to last week is whether penalties should be reviewable.. Well that and the fact never in the history of the league has a penalty been called, announced, marked off and than overturned.
Agreed 100%.
Anytime you have human beings (the key word here is human) officiating a game between two teams, one of the teams is going to feel like they have been "hosed".
You can't make both sides happy. The rules are made before the game starts and the refs. by and large, know these rules. The use of replay can allow them to dissect the play, in slow motion and at different angles, to determine if the correct call was made. In real time, they don't get much of a look!
The only way to get rid of the "subjective calls" is to have replay on all penalties, passes, turnovers and scores. (Get ready for a 4 hour football game), It could rid the game of a bad call, but some will still get that "hosed" feeling!

As Tom stated, the rule that came into play yesterday was the direct result of this happening before. They addressed it, and via replay, got it right. Seems like the Cowboy fans think different.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES » January 12th, 2015, 4:32 pm

WV Ridge Reaper

Dallas

Post by WV Ridge Reaper » January 12th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Lol reminds me of Morgantown

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz » January 12th, 2015, 5:53 pm

If the system in place worked, we would not be here two weeks in a row with fans are screaming that their team got hosed.
Of course the fans are screaming that they got hosed!! The ruling went against them! If they wouldn't have reversed the call, the Packers fans would be screaming that they got hosed.
You make rules, you abide by them the best you can, and let the whining begin. Sour grapes, my friend..Sour grapes.

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » January 12th, 2015, 6:14 pm

It is ironic that the 'Boys feel like Detroit did a week ago. Similarities: Refs reversed themselves; Dez Bryant gets a non-call agst Lions in same play; both plays occurred with about 4 minutes left in the game and both defenses couldn't stop the other team.

Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers » January 12th, 2015, 7:28 pm

I didn't see the Detroit play in question but I did see Bryant's catch that was overruled.

I sure think, two steps, putting the ball in one hand and stretching for the goal line demonstrate control.

But sadly, I don't get paid to make that call. :?

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES » January 12th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Tail Feathers wrote:I didn't see the Detroit play in question but I did see Bryant's catch that was overruled.

I sure think, two steps, putting the ball in one hand and stretching for the goal line demonstrate control.

But sadly, I don't get paid to make that call. :?
Best I can do in short time.. Here is the benchmark for the rule.. Calvin maintains possession the entire time even with one hand, knees are down still has possession, puts it down to get up.. No TD.. The Rule Sucks but the replay was right according to the B.S. Rule..

Return to “2014”