Best deer attractant??

Everything pertaining to deer.
Coynten

Best deer attractant??

Post by Coynten »

I don't run feeders because I hunt the hardwood bottoms and it's hard to compete with a good acorn crop and also it has just seemed to be a waste of money. But now this being my first season bowhunting (and hunting before the acorns drop) I want to use something to get deer to hold up where I want em to (my shooting lanes and in front of my game cams).

What is the best manufactured attractant under-the-open-sky.com/best-deer-attractant for my situation?? I'm wanting something that the hogs won't devour.

Thanks.
Last edited by Coynten on October 29th, 2019, 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Best deer attractant??

Post by guesswho »

Hogs are going to be an issue. I think they will eat anything a deer will eat, plus a lot of other things. Depending on where your at. Hear in the SE corn is probably #1. And rice bran seems to really attract bucks. But a friend of mine in Ohio tried corn and rice bran and got zero hits.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

First of all make sure it's legal. It is not in VA. I used deer cocaine many many years ago before it was outlawed. The deer tore it up like crazy. On the other hand we don't have hogs here yet either. Maybe try a mineral block from Walmart for like $10, or 2 off them.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, I don't know where you are located, but here in Mid TN, we have been in a drought for a long time. All the deer have left the big hardwoods. You find water, you find the deer.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I keep a salt block & a mineral block out year round. Then, starting in Sept, once a week,
I add some molasses, Deer Jam, or Juiced Apple Scent, whatever TSC has on sale. TSC has
the blocks for $6.50 & the liquids range from about $8 to $20.

As an aside, I built a block holder using pressure treated wood. It keeps the blocks off the
ground & they last longer.

But, as has been said, be sure it's legal.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Not sure about hogs but in ks we made Barb wire enclosures keep cattle out they were like 10x10 with three strands of barbwire, may need 5 or so for hogs. Didn't effect deer at all they just hopped over. May need use apples or something get them to realize there's food at first.
crow

Post by crow »

CamoMan4025 wrote: October 16th, 2019, 11:28 am First of all make sure it's legal. It is not in VA. I used deer cocaine many many years ago before it was outlawed. The deer tore it up like crazy. On the other hand we don't have hogs here yet either. Maybe try a mineral block from Walmart for like $10, or 2 off them.
My father in law used that when it first came out, very effective.

a grunt or doe bleat works good to stop a deer in a shooting lane, it's not hard to learn to do with your voice
wingbonehntr

Post by wingbonehntr »

First of all make sure it's legal. It is not in VA. I used deer cocaine many many years ago before it was outlawed. The deer tore it up like crazy. On the other hand we don't have hogs here yet either. Maybe try a mineral block from Walmart for like $10, or 2 off them.

I used to package the deer cocaine when I was in college, all it was , is soda ash with purple coloring in it.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

At our farm in Oklahoma we have used RackUp mineral over the years. The intent was to supplement nature foods in the area for does and for bucks during antler growth period ( we have plenty of oak and persimmons, and planted some apple trees). We put the mineral on established travel routes and have a camera overlooking the mineral. We have had an amazing mix of wildlife come in. Not only great numbers of deer, but turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, skunks, raccoons, fox, bobcat, coyotes, armadillos, occasional hog, and an occasional neighbor's cows! During the spring velvet we have seen 4-5 amazing bucks in pushing each other away to get at the mineral.

As our home hunting grounds are public lands in Florida we can't use bait of any kind. However, my son and friends bought an inholding private property "camp" within the area. Most camps use deer corn. Deer and turkeys, as well as plenty of crows and other birds do come in. We don't hunt in the camp, but it does keep the critters in the area. The first time I visited the camp to meet the previous owners was early one morning. While eating breakfast we looked out the window and two bucks were crazing on the corn within 15 yards of the building.

It's all about preference I guess. My 2 cents worth.
Don

Return to “Deer Hunting”