2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 5

Everything pertaining to deer.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 5

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 5

It was 28, calm, & clear at 6:55 when i got to my stand. I have a long ride on the 4-wheeler to get back to my stand & it was cold with a capital BRRRRRRRRRR!!!! The 1st thing I did was fire up the Portable Buddy. It doesn’t really keep you warm but it keeps you from being as cold as you would be without it & it’s easy to warm up your hands.

The sun came up at 07:40 nice & bright. At about the same time, a wren flew into the stand & sat on the edge about 2’ from me. I couldn’t see it when he 1st entered & it was noisy. I thought maybe the squirrels were seeking revenge & this was the start of a new horror movie, Attack of the Killer Squirrels or Killer Squirrels from Young’s Woods. Another bird flew in. The hoped around over ny 11-87 barrel, on it, & here & there inside the stand. The hung around for about ½ hour. I think I’ll take some seed out for them tomorrow.

At 08:30, a fox came out of the woods to my west & hoped past me & into the woods. It stopped every once in a while to eat something, a soy bean I assume. At 09:35, there was a red to the right of me, a fox to the left, & here I am, stuck in the middle with no deer. I could here the fox cutting a walnut near or under the stand & a few minutes later, another fox showed up & heading towards me. It stopped, turned around, & headed back the way it came. I think it may have seen the other fox & decided that discretion was the better part of valor. I watched it in the underbrush for several minutes.

At 10:05, 2 does walked down the edge of the woods towards me from the east but spooked before they got close enough for a shot. At 10:55, I spotted at least 3 deer moving through the woods to the west with 1 being a nice buck. They headed NW.

My BIL called & said they were going to push the woods from the west towards. I exited the blind & stood behind the large tree directly behind the blind so I could look N & W into the woods as well as into the field. At 01:00, I saw 2 deer walking through the woods &, if they kept on their current route, they would pass within range. When the 1st doe entered a clearing, I took a shot & missed. WTH!!!! They back up a little & stood there for a minute or 2 & the 1st doe started towards me with a “What the hell was that” look on her face. I aimed for the center of her chest & she went down at the shot only to jump up & take off running south with a broken right leg at the shoulder.

I watched were it ran & saw it go down. Done deal, I thought. Yeah………..Right…….. I walked to it & it was lying there with its head up. Before I could administer the coup de gras, she jumped up & headed west. I went back to the stand & got all the stuff I would need when I found here & waited for about 30 minutes. I went back to where I had last seen her & started to blood trail. It was pretty tough going, a speck here, a speck there. I was able to follow where she had run as she was dragging her foot. I did a lot of walking back & forth. I’d loss the trail & have to back track it to find it again. I did she her jump up & run twice. She was getting close to the west end of the woods when she stopped & lay down. There where a lot of large trees between us so I used them as cover & slowly moved up on her. At about 50 yards, I used a tree as a rest & took the shot at 02:45. I spent over an hour tracking her. She was a huge doe & I knew I needed help so I called my BIL. He was getting ready to drive a woods & it would be at least an hour which was no problem as I wasn’t in a hurry.

I hadn’t planned on dragging the deer the 50-75 yards to the edge of the woods but I needed to do something to keep busy. I drug her 15-20’ & called Brian. I drug her 10-15’ & called Ron. I took 15 minute rests between pulls as I didn’t want to be a statistic. I finally got the deer to the edge about 5 minutes before Jay arrived. It was all we could do to get the doe into the back of the Gator. I could never have loaded her myself onto my Polaris or the Dodge.

I still have 1 tag left & hope to get another 1 before the season is over. We still have this weekend plus the 16th & 17th.
04.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

joey46

Re: 2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 5

Post by joey46 »

Nice deer. Glad the weather turned into "deer huntin'" weather up there.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2017 Ohio Deer Chronicles – 5

Post by HunterGKS »

joey46 wrote: December 2nd, 2017, 7:16 am Nice deer. Glad the weather turned into "deer huntin'" weather up there.
Thx. The weather has been really strange this week. 28 again this morning into the high 40's. Then into the 50sd again tomorrow but ask me if I care!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Deer Hunting”