team mates 5

Pedro, Kygobbler, Bigspurs68, grumpy, Glockmaster
kygobbler

Re: team mates 5

Post by kygobbler »

Bigspurs68 wrote:'m staying here til Thursday morning then heading for kentucky for youth season
Good luck this weekend with the youth hunt. I will be taking a kid out Sunday afternoon and hopefully get him is first bird.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I got my tail whipped in mississippi. That's very hard to say, but I did. Took 5 days to find a bird that I could get on. Spent the next 3 days playing tag with him in a maze of small ridges, twisting creeks and swampy bottoms. He had one hen that he was with every day and all he really did was strut. I had the safety off on him each of those 3 days and could have killed him once but I just can't bring myself to shoot as far as my gun is capable of killing one. He wasn't even a espically smart bird. Basically he survived on luck and the whims of the hen he followed. Smarter than me I guess. Lol. I shouldn't have got hung up on one bird but with so little gobbling, I had to stay with him. Had one other bird that was on a suicide mission but a hen walked into my lap and freaked out. The end.
We shall see how these birds act in the next 2 days here in KY. Bad flooding going on here and I'm not sure what land I can access. KYgobbler, I hope your youth hunt goes great. We saw a pile of strutters coming thru KY today. Good luck.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Just have to keep after them. At least your out there. Keep up the hard work.
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

Well no luck this afternoon. We did get to play with one gobbler but couldn't call him away from the hens. We tried circling around but lost the group.

While putting out eggs this morning I did hear a gobbler close to the house. First time I have heard birds in the woods here.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Both the girls killed gooduns in kentucky with the muzzleloader. I'll put some pics up soon as I figure out how to resize them. My oldest girl killed a hoss. 23.5 lbs and 1 3/8" spurs. Eastons was a beautiful 1" spurred bird.
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

Congrats to both of your girls.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

My girls finally let me go hunting. Killed a average bird. 22lbs, 10" beard, 1" spurs. I got all the pics and measurements but I'm sure that I'll find 2 better. Do I still enter the bird or just wait???
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Wait and we will see how we end up.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Sounds good. It's a major pain for me to get pics posted. May require assistance when the time comes.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Well guys, I'm done in ohio and got one to go in wv. Mekayla still has one wv tag left so I'll wait til she fills that one before I finish for good. I had planned on another state after wv but my dad is in bad shape so I can't travel now.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I am done in illinois with two longbeards and a bearded hen. Two down in wisconsin with two more weeks up there. See how lucky I can get in the late season.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Iv got 4 that I think I have good enough measurement pics of. May need help getting them posted. Let me know I'd yall want to do anything with em.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I have birds but nothing too special. I will total and post.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Well, I finally figured out how to get the pics to resize right. If it matters, I have a couple more birds if we want to get a team total.

Return to “THE HERMIT GOBBLERS”