Kill and Hunt Stories/Congrats Thread.

hookedspur, Gobblenut, Gophert, Mississippigobbler, HuntnMa
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Kill and Hunt Stories/Congrats Thread.

Post by hookedspur »

Share your hunt and give congratulations.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Kill and Hunt Stories/Congrats Thread.

Post by hookedspur »

Way to go Mississippi. We are on the board
MississippiGobbler

Post by MississippiGobbler »

Thanks, getting that first one takes a lot of pressure off. :cheers:

Rainy afternoon hunt. Wondered up on this fella pecking around in the road as I was walking to a powerline to check it "without my gun" :banghead:

After 2 trips back to the truck after forgetting my mouth calls the fist go around I finally got set up on the gobbler. My first set of calls were met with silence, as were my 2nd set. After about 20min from the time I had sat down and called he apeared in the road in a half strut at about 60yds. When he made it to about 45yds I couldnt take it any longer an I let the M2 20ga bark and flopped him into the culvert he was standing beside. To say I was excited would be an understatement. Hopefully this is the first of many!
Attachments
IMG_4970.JPG
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Sitting under a beautiful old live oak canopies waiting on daylight ,I hear one way behind me and he answers a soft tree call.
He gobbles again a little closer and answers me a couple more times ,then nothing for about ten minuets.
I figured it was over but gave it another try and the same bird ans. but hes moving away, so we turned up the volume a little
and bird one sounds off a little farther away but gets cut off by a BOOMING gobble 150 yards straight behind me.
I look at the fellow with me and he says in a few minuets he can hear him drumming ,so a soft series of clucks bring
another huge gobble and I can hear him Spit and Drum and he gobbles three times in a row, on his own.
Now my ears are gone, I haven't heard a Drum for bout 5 years but at less than 10 feet hes putting on a show to my left.
Thanks to a Palmetto blind we erected we are hide and the bird cant show off enough, hes rattling like a basket full of
Diamondbacks and drums several more times right beside of me. I must have a good heart cause its able to beat extremely
fast and not explode. He drops from full to half strut and clears the cabbage palm to walk in front of me and at 17 yards
one of the best hunts of my life ends !!!

I used my M2 20ga with TSS 9 and he just dropped at the shot no flopping or anything.

I couldn't begin to remember all the wildlife I saw but I do want to mention a few .
A young cotton mouth could have done without that but ?
A very young Sandhill Crane and its parents.
Gators in the wild .
A beautiful Squirrel looked almost silver.
Hogs everywhere.
An Armadillo that played around us all evening .
I hope to go back soon but I'm going to have driving help next time 18 hours to get back.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Congrats on a good one gophert

Return to “Snood Swindlers”