Starting to make calls again

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
BoxCall@68

Starting to make calls again

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Well,after a five year layoff from making calls from no interest after a divorce,I'm trying to get back in the saddle this year.my wood working is done on the porch depending on the weather.glueups and glueing and clamping and final finish indoors.my favorites have been half moon calls.poplar base,cherry or walnut sides,poplar lid.I've had outstanding results with this combo.also regular box calls,wormy chestnut,and also Osage orange.different combos make some amazing calls.my opinion is give them something there not used to hearing.hope to have some updates this summer,thanks,dan
Dr Juice

Re: Starting to make calls again

Post by Dr Juice »

Thats great to see. Pls share some pics of your masterpieces.
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Yea,I've got tubs of 1/8" and 1/4" , base ,and side,and paddle stock cut.its funny,but most of my calls are right handed.hold the box base in left hand,stroke the paddle on the left side using right hand.don't know why,but it gets the best sounds,all things considered.I been told by my grandson I have a bad ear tuning guitars and banjos.
Greenheadrocker

Post by Greenheadrocker »

Glad you are getting back in the saddle of doing something you enjoy. I'd like to see some of your work when you get some finished up. Always wanted to tinker with a few calls of my own but never actually taken the time to do it.
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Any good wood glues out there offering a fast grab before clamping.always have slip when glueing the sides to the 5 degree end blocks and clamping.right now I'm using titebond.years ago Elmer's made a pro bond glue with wood fibers in it.great fast grab glue,but its discontinued.,thanks,dan
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Well,been digging thru my call wood box.settled on some Osage 1/8" side rails,and 1/4" paddle and bottom piece.using walnut end blocks.this is a glue up call.I've made these before,high pitch screamers.next project will be wormy chestnut.I'll keep ya posted.
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

New question.looking at a WEN brand 2.5 amp ,9" bench top bandsaw for resawning some box call boards.comes with a rip fence and a miter slide.don't need nothing heavy duty.anybody used this saw?

Return to “Call Makers”