rough spots

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
MountNMan

rough spots

Post by MountNMan »

What causes some pots to have " rough spots" on them? I turned a couple of Cherry calls and they have a couple of rough spots that wont sand out. Is it just the way the wood is or need new tips on my carbide tools?
ol bob

Re: rough spots

Post by ol bob »

End grain you need very sharp tools and a lot of sanding.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
MountNMan

Post by MountNMan »

Ok. Thanks for the info!
southern_leo

Post by southern_leo »

It's tear out of the end grain. Sharp tools, tool presentation, rest height, and speed can all play a role. Traditionally you want to turn at high speeds with very sharp tools. Also keep in mind with carbide tools if your using a scrapper (square bit) they are notorious for tear out. Try to speed the lathe up and use a small gouge like a fingernail gouge on the sides. A finishing carbide very lightly at the end can help too. If your lathe has reverse try the finisher last with the lathe in reverse, since the grains rolls over the direction of the turning tool the finisher in reverse shouldn't and cut these fibers. If you don't have this option and still have issues leave a bit extra on the sides and spend more time sanding. I promise it can be sanded off it's just a slow pain. You may have to turn off the lathe and sand those spots by hand then turn the lathe on and sand till symmetrical. Use large grit sandpaper to really move the wood off, then go through your normal sanding down to 600-800 or whatever you like to sand to. Cherry and Walnut are both bad for this. I've had it happen many times. You'll also find these areas don't like to take a finish so do your best to fix it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MountNMan

Post by MountNMan »

Thanks. That's a big help!

Return to “Call Makers”