Striker holder

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
forkedlighting

Striker holder

Post by forkedlighting »

Anybody know where you can get a cloth roll up striker holder that rolls up an holds 5 or 6 strikers

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Striker holder

Post by HunterGKS »

I made 1 out of black felt. Pretty easy & cheap to do as all it takes is a piece of felt, a needle & thread, & some bandaids.

I can post pics if you'd like to see it.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MAK

Post by MAK »

i made mine out of a old duck canvas pant leg - didn't need no bandaids....... had someone sew it for me..........
MAK
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

HunterGKS wrote:I made 1 out of black felt. Pretty easy & cheap to do as all it takes is a piece of felt, a needle & thread, & some bandaids.

Post a picture if you could Thanks getting tired of losing strikers an having to hunt all over my best for the right one

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

MAK wrote: July 27th, 2017, 9:29 am didn't need no bandaids....... had someone sew it for me..........
:cheers: :cheers:
George

decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I designed a striker carrier which holds six strikers and had an older lady who is 76, yet still deer hunts, sew them for me. My seamstress and I operate on the barter system, I usually get her a couple of deer and at least one turkey a year for trade purposes. The carrier is fairly simple. A piece of material (I use a camo Cordura polyester fabric, non-fraying, water proofed, and non-absorbent) approximately 32" long and 41/2" wide is used. Fold the fabric approx. 7" from the ends, sew the sides to create a large pocket, then sew three smaller long pockets from the large pocket. Do this to both ends and you have a striker carrier which folds together in the middle, so the strikers can't fall out when folded closed, and is held together w/ cloth ties sewn to the carrier which wrap around the carrier and tied with a simple overhand. Additionally I have a small pocket sewn on the inside which holds a piece of 120 grit sanding foam block, the 1/8" thick variety, which had been cut 11/2"x 21/2" and the two foam surfaces glued together w/ contact cement to provide two striker conditioning surfaces. Some of my striker conditioning blocks are made utilizing foam blocks with two different grits ie, 80 and 120. My seamstress also sews a 1" wide strip of elastic prior to assembly to the material approx. 13" from the bottom end edge to finish w/ the top of the pocket to hold the strikers in their individual pockets when the carrier is open. The finished product is 9" long and @ 41/4" wide, has three pockets 7" long on each side and can be opened and laid on damp/wet ground without fear, giving access to six different strikers of various densities and tip surfaces. I don't do pictures, so don't ask. I hope this helps.
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

decoykrvr wrote:I designed a striker carrier which holds six strikers and had an older lady who is 76, yet still deer hunts, sew them for me. My seamstress and I operate on the barter system, I usually get her a couple of deer and at least one turkey a year for trade purposes. The carrier is fairly simple. A piece of material (I use a camo Cordura polyester fabric, non-fraying, water proofed, and non-absorbent) approximately 32" long and 41/2" wide is used. Fold the fabric approx. 7" from the ends, sew the sides to create a large pocket, then sew three smaller long pockets from the large pocket. Do this to both ends and you have a striker carrier which folds together in the middle, so the strikers can't fall out when folded closed, and is held together w/ cloth ties sewn to the carrier which wrap around the carrier and tied with a simple overhand. Additionally I have a small pocket sewn on the inside which holds a piece of 120 grit sanding foam block, the 1/8" thick variety, which had been cut 11/2"x 21/2" and the two foam surfaces glued together w/ contact cement to provide two striker conditioning surfaces. Some of my striker conditioning blocks are made utilizing foam blocks with two different grits ie, 80 and 120. My seamstress also sews a 1" wide strip of elastic prior to assembly to the material approx. 13" from the bottom end edge to finish w/ the top of the pocket to hold the strikers in their individual pockets when the carrier is open. The finished product is 9" long and @ 41/4" wide, has three pockets 7" long on each side and can be opened and laid on damp/wet ground without fear, giving access to six different strikers of various densities and tip surfaces. I don't do pictures, so don't ask. I hope this helps.
Thanks kind of what I have in mind I have a lady that sees going to draw something out for her to go by thanks

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

forkedlighting wrote: July 27th, 2017, 9:30 am
HunterGKS wrote:I made 1 out of black felt. Pretty easy & cheap to do as all it takes is a piece of felt, a needle & thread, & some bandaids.

Post a picture if you could Thanks getting tired of losing strikers an having to hunt all over my best for the right one

Keep in mind, like me, it ain't purty but gets the job done. It will hold 7 strikers.

George

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Why would you need to carry 7 strikers in the woods ? :roll:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

vaturkey wrote: July 27th, 2017, 12:36 pm Why would you need to carry 7 strikers in the woods ? :roll:
Why not? And, if you'd notice, there are only 4 right now.
George

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

I carry different ones because they all sound different on my calls

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

forkedlighting wrote: July 27th, 2017, 12:42 pm I carry different ones because they all sound different on my calls

Carrying 7 different strikers is a lot easier & more compact than carrying 7 different calls, isn't it.
George

MAK

Post by MAK »

Mine holds 6 - and with the way i lose stuff, probably shud have more.

always carry 3 pot calls - slate, glass, and either an aluminum or crystal - 2 fer each
MAK
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

MAK wrote: July 27th, 2017, 12:47 pm Mine holds 6 - and with the way i lose stuff, probably shud have more.

always carry 3 pot calls - slate, glass, and either an aluminum or crystal - 2 fer each
I also carry 3, a custom 2 sided slate & glass, a Super Aluminator, & Ole Yeller.
George

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

HunterGKS wrote:
MAK wrote: July 27th, 2017, 12:47 pm Mine holds 6 - and with the way i lose stuff, probably shud have more.

I also carry 3, a custom 2 sided slate & glass, a Super Aluminator, & Ole Yeller.
I carry a hollaran double glass,Woodhaven cherry crystal,lights out ceramic,magnolia double face glass an slate,an cactus copper that pretty wild coverabout every sound

decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I carry at least two striker carriers (12 different woods and surfaces ie. corian, water proof Cane Creek, graphite) and usually 3-4 pots w/ different surfaces. I've called in ares where I know there were gobblers and tried several pot and striker combinations without response, then suddenly strike gold with a striker/ surface pair which not only elicits a response, but calls them in to the gun. That my friend, is fuel for "the Disease", and why my vest weighs @ 18 pounds.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

decoykrvr wrote: July 27th, 2017, 2:38 pm I've called in ares where I know there were gobblers and tried several pot and striker combinations without response, then suddenly strike gold with a striker/ surface pair which not only elicits a response, but calls them in to the gun. That my friend, is fuel for "the Disease", and why my vest weighs @ 18 pounds.
Which is exactly why so many of use carry several strikers. If 1 doesn't work, another might.
George

Return to “Call Makers”