Waterproofing box calls

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
alpha burnt

Waterproofing box calls

Post by alpha burnt »

What substance is used to waterproof box calls? I do not own any collectors items or anything and would like to treat the ones I have like another I have. It is a Quaker Boy Hurricane and is treated with what appears to be a semi gloss brown paint of some sort, whenever it starts getting slick, scuff it with scotch brite and it is good to go. It sounds good enough and was looking to do others. Thanks.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Waterproofing box calls

Post by Turkinator »

There used to be a product called box call magic that was a liquid that you apply and let dry. I don't remember how well it worked though
USMC0331

Post by USMC0331 »

A call maker ( Mr. Albert Paul of Paul's calls) told me to use the box call in a empty loaf bread bag and it works.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I'd be leery of putting any type of sealer on a box call. I think it could deaden the wood affecting the sound adversely. Maybe 1 of the call makers here could answer?
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Neil Cost also recommended the bread bag.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

I realize a bread bag may work but HS Strut, Quaker Boy, Primos, Woods Wise and others are coating the paddle and box surface with something waterproof that makes them run and sound fine to me. I was wondering if anyone knew what this substance may be?
luvtahunt

Post by luvtahunt »

There is a product called Chalkboard paint made by Rustoleum,that I have used on some calls that I've made. It is in a spray can, comes in black. I spray only the lid, 2 or 3 thin coats let dry between coats sand lightly.You can always add coats later or sand off if you don't like it. I would try it on a box that you don't care about to see if you're' satisfied with the results. This has worked well for me?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The times I've worked a bird while raining, I relied on mouth calls or slates with acrylic strikers. There's a time and place for a box call, but I've found no need to force the issue in the rain.
luvtahunt

Post by luvtahunt »

You're right nothing better in the rain then an ol'e mouth call. But some hunters have to rely on a box so you look for alternatives.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

luvtahunt wrote:There is a product called Chalkboard paint made by Rustoleum,that I have used on some calls that I've made. It is in a spray can, comes in black. I spray only the lid, 2 or 3 thin coats let dry between coats sand lightly.You can always add coats later or sand off if you don't like it. I would try it on a box that you don't care about to see if you're' satisfied with the results. This has worked well for me?

Thanks, I might give that a try. As far as hunting in the rain, never had much luck in the rain but right after has been dynamite for me. I like the boxes I have used with the waterproofing, no chalking and like the sound. Just goofing around with my stuff in the off season and thought I would go ahead and do it. All of my boxes are run of the mill Wally World specials so nothing is irreplaceable. Most of the time, they ride in my vest but I will use them to try and strike a bird while roaming. They seem to reach out and grab their attention.

Return to “Call Makers”