Kill/Hunt Stories

Jaybird, Shooter, Bonemonger, Gobblenut, Chatterbox
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Kill/Hunt Stories

Post by Shooter »

Jim, you may want to put the pic that is in this tread into the dead turkeys thread.
Be easier for people to find, and get a better look.
bonemonger

Post by bonemonger »

killed my last bird of the year this morning in p.a., good hunt on a gobbling bird right off the roost. good luck to everyone still hunting. Bob
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

WTG Chatterbox!!!! That's two years in a row now! You're on a roll now!
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Well boys, I got into a spot where I set up my son and FIL the day before, and they both had excellent success!
I get into the same spot where the guys killed their birds the day before, and it is silent. Finally, at about 5:30 I hear a gobble a ways off. I hit him with some soft yelps, and he responded, so I kept quiet.
I hear him gobble again, this time much closer. I hit him with my Andy Kaiser curly maple/ purpleheart call, and he cut me off!
Game on.......
I see a hen come into view, then I see him! His head was snowball white, and he was strutting and spit drumming to beat the band!
Once the hen cleared him and he broke strut, I let the 835 eat, and I wrecked his day at about 25 yards!
Awesome, awesome hunt!
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Shooter wrote:WTG Chatterbox!!!! That's two years in a row now! You're on a roll now!
Thanks Tommy! This one was a great one, that's for sure!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Today I had the opportunity to hunt private land for the first time this year, so I was pretty excited. All my Public was over run with mushroom hunters, and they had driven the birds out to points unknown. I also got to with my grandson for the first time on Turkeys, so that was cool. As we pulled out of his drive way with me following his truck, I made it 2 blocks, and out of no where I had 2 cop cars pull me over, because I had stopped my truck in front of a house a man lived they were after. Once I proved to them I was not him, they let me go, but they delay cost us time. After arriving at the land I am in a hurry, couldn't find my 3 1/2 hevis, and had to grab 3" nitros instead. The nitros are not patterned for my 1187, but I have them in the truck for the 870, which I didn't bring. Next bang the front of the gun on the truck, and bust off the front sight. Front is better than back, because I still have the white bead in front. As we start walking it starts to rain, and at 38 degrees, that wasn't pleasant. As my grandson heads west I head east with the map he gave me, and a vague idea of the property being I hunted it years ago. I know there is a blind at the end of the property, and as I near it to get out of the rain, the clouds blow away and it is like light. I scramble to get out of the field, set up and get ready as a couple of birds start to gobble. 150 yards away is the spot I walked by that I was going to set up if it hadn't poured icy rain. Somehow, I kept my temper but I was not positive about shooting anything due to just how the day was going.
The only bird gobbling close to me sounds like he rules the area, but he still is probably 200 yards away. I am seeing Hens cutting thru where I had planned on setting up before the rain, and I am thinking if gobblers show up there are going to take the same route out of gunshot, and it happened. Two hens come out of the woods, and shortly after 4 red heads. The hens are heading away from me, and I am going to call to try to pull the red heads away, but I had called less than 5 minutes before they showed up, so they knew where I was. The lead Tom was starring my direction, but the other 3 started to follow the hens. Surprisingly he headed up towards me, drawing the other Toms, and the hens behind them. I am in business. The lead Tom was the closest, but the second bird was the strutter, and with the longer beard, so I decided to take him. I ended up taking him at 46 yards, and he dropped dead with the nitros. All 4 Toms looked liked 2 year olds, but with my last day hunting I was happy to get the shot, and fill my tag.
Last edited by Jaybird on May 16th, 2014, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Sounds to me like you turned a bad luck day into a good day in the end!!! :thumbup:
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Jay and Mike: Congratulations to you both! Great way to end the season!

Return to “Meat Packers”