Diaphragm Call Care

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Diaphragm Call Care

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I kinda chuckle when I see all over the internet about diaphragm call care.. Some guy will ask how to care for them.. Guys tell them everyday first rinse in mouth wash, than rinse and dry, now place a toothpick between the reeds and return to the fridge or freezer until they are to be used again..

My system is a little different.. At the end of the day toss in shirt pocket.. Wake up next morning, on way to spot, brush off dirt, leaves etc that stuck on it from shirt pocket.. Throw it in mouth for a few seconds and the reeds are stuck and it squeals.. Pull out of mouth and grab some of the top reed and pull and pull until it separates return to mouth, and go hunt.. If they are really stuck I will face the reeds at mouth and blow hard to break them loose. I do everything you are not supposed to do :lol: The only thing I subscribe too is keeping free of direct sunshine for extended periods.

Usually I start running the calls I hunt with in Feb or Mar and run them about everyday.. Usually hunt about everyday of season and most every call makes it through season..

Like this call, ran all winter, hunted in 4 states for about 40-50 days and looked and sounded the same at the end..

What is your process?
Last edited by ICDEDTURKES on February 26th, 2015, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Diaphragm Call Care

Post by davisd9 »

My process is pretty much the same as yours and I usually hunt them multiple seasons. I pop the call in my mouth right when I walk away from the truck in the morning so I can have it good a slobbery so it will have a good seal when I need it.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

davisd9 wrote:My process is pretty much the same as yours and I usually hunt them multiple seasons. I pop the call in my mouth right when I walk away from the truck in the morning so I can have it good a slobbery so it will have a good seal when I need it.
Yup
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I use the exact same system.
El Sicario
milkman

Post by milkman »

I use mkw system of rinsing then putting in freezer letting the ice keep the reeds separated. However most times I forget and they are still in my vest so i just pop it in and carry on like normal.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I used to be the same way too, till strep throat cut short a week long hunt. Now I carry a small travel bottle of Listerine and soak my mouth call in a 50%/50% Listerine and tap water for a couple minutes. Rinse, and hunt with it the next day.

The same call never makes it past one season, sometimes never past one week. For the cost of them - $5, $6, $7 a piece, cheap insurance to pitch it and grab a new one.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

paboxcall wrote:I used to be the same way too, till strep throat cut short a week long hunt. Now I carry a small travel bottle of Listerine and soak my mouth call in a 50%/50% Listerine and tap water for a couple minutes. Rinse, and hunt with it the next day.
Yup Cope Wintergreen does the same thing, kills all the germs.. :thumbup:
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
paboxcall wrote:I used to be the same way too, till strep throat cut short a week long hunt. Now I carry a small travel bottle of Listerine and soak my mouth call in a 50%/50% Listerine and tap water for a couple minutes. Rinse, and hunt with it the next day.
Yup Cope Wintergreen does the same thing, kills all the germs.. :thumbup:
Pretty sure Wild Turkey 101 disinfects just as well.... :)
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
FireDoc

Post by FireDoc »

That is not my first time seeing that photo.

And every time it makes me throw up in my mouth a little. :lol:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

FireDoc wrote:That is not my first time seeing that photo.

And every time it makes me throw up in my mouth a little. :lol:
Bud I have a few that are Guaranteed to be hell on those S MI birds I can pass along. You let me know when yer man enough!!!
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I do about the same, but at the end of the season I do wash them off good with mouthwash/water and put them in the ice box. I take them out the next spring and soak them for a while and seperate the top reed.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Diaphragm Call Care

Post by drenalinld »

Always get sore throat if I use a mouth call from previous season. I start with new. I do rinse with no-alcohol mouthwash.
Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

The night after a hunt I will rinse them off and lay 'em on a paper towel to dry overnight. The next morning they are in my pocket ready to hunt. At the end of the season I will soak in a cup of listerine for a few hours, rinse, let dry and in their cases they go and into the refrigerator.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: What is your process?
I have a call wallet and just stick back in there when I'm done with it. Some calls last up to 4 years if I do that.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hawglips wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote: What is your process?
I have a call wallet and just stick back in there when I'm done with it. Some calls last up to 4 years if I do that.
I think putting them somewhere they can breath is huge. I have gotten big Ziploc bags of calls from Scott took one or two out to run, not think put them back in and everyone molded. I still used them but kinda gross.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

:mrgreen: Funny thread, I use them, then once in a while rinse them off with some mouth wash and pop them back in the little plastic case they came with along with a piece of TP to keep from rattling. I only carry 2 to the woods at any one time.

I have my falls calls and my spring calls.

Also I do not eat mine :pukeright: so they usually last a couple seasons.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”