Teaching

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Teaching

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Does anyone else find it difficult to put into words what you want to say when helping others improve their calling?
SCtrkyhntr

Re: Teaching

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Anyone trying to improve their calling needs a buddy who knows what a turkey sounds like and will be brutally honest on what their calling sounds like.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Yes. I'm sure however that my calling could stand some coaching too. The more turkeys a hunter has under his belt the tougher its gonna be to teach him anything though.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

Too many people know what a turkey call sounds like and not what a turkey sounds like.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Absolutely. And it seems to be much worse with any air operated call. I bet you can tell somebody how to run a pot call or a box, or how to hold their hand on a trumpet or wing.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

Get your hands on Lovett William's Real Turkeys III, IV, V & VI CDs and play them constantly in your vehicle. Engrave these recordings of live turkeys into your brain to where you can duplicate the sounds faithfully and you will be well on your way to becoming a successful turkey hunter.

FC
Central MS
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I guess you guys took me wrong.. Like working with someone on a pot, I hear what they are doing, tell them "Snap the striker more" or more or less "pressure from striker to surface".. But its hard to describe how much or how little.. Its hard to put into words what you hear they are doing wrong..
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I think I know what you mean.Terminology is difficult sometimes.Myself I read on here where you guys talk about roll over. What the heck is that ? Show me what you mean .Then I get it.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

redarrow wrote:I think I know what you mean.Terminology is difficult sometimes.Myself I read on here where you guys talk about roll over. What the heck is that ? Show me what you mean .Then I get it.

Hey Red

Roll Over is when you fart in bed & you roll over the other way ! :thumbup:
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

vaturkey wrote:
redarrow wrote:I think I know what you mean.Terminology is difficult sometimes.Myself I read on here where you guys talk about roll over. What the heck is that ? Show me what you mean .Then I get it.

Hey Red

Roll Over is when you fart in bed & you roll over the other way ! :thumbup:
I always thought Roll over was when I fart in bed the wife rolls over. :o
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

This is what I call rollover ! Not the best video but it is something to see in person. When the super-heated gases above you suddenly ignite and roll across the ceiling above you and away from the fire seat !

3toe

Post by 3toe »

For a yelp, I've always called rollover the transition from the "yee" to the "auck" and how smooth and crisp it transitions. Some people yelp and it sounds like one note instead of two.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

its hard to teach someone how to put emotion into a call. most never learn.
El Sicario
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

3toe wrote:
For a yelp, I've always called rollover the transition from the "yee" to the "auck" and how smooth and crisp it transitions. Some people yelp and it sounds like one note instead of two.

This is me I sound like one note.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

X many times.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”