Favorites from the Past

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Bigspurs68

Re: Favorites from the Past

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Just remembered, had a Lewis Stowe two hole slate call. That slate sounded pretty good in my memories.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Hobie wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:
davisd9 wrote:
Another killer is the HS World Class triple glass. You have to find the right striker but it is deadly. My mentor hunts with one and there is no telling the amount of birds that has met their maker because of it.
HS Brought the World Champion Triple glass back for 2015 I see as well as that camo box from the 90s.
Still have my original

She is a beauty. I have one as well. I do not hunt her but she is put up in a safe place. Do not care for the Rosewood striker it came with, but a purpleheart and yellowheart will sing on her!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
davisd9 wrote:
Another killer is the HS World Class triple glass. You have to find the right striker but it is deadly. My mentor hunts with one and there is no telling the amount of birds that has met their maker because of it.
HS Brought the World Champion Triple glass back for 2015 I see as well as that camo box from the 90s.
Interesting. Doubt it is in the league as the original but I will try to withhold judgement until I hear one. I will not buy it, but probably come across someone that has. Hopefully it is the same.
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
guesswho wrote:I used to be fond of my PS Olt scratch box and Roger Latham True Tone Box call. Then later on I added a Penns Woods stacked mouth call, then a Perfection Double D I think is what it was called. I still like Double D's.
I caught the pun and :lol:
I think there are some Double D's floating...I mean bouncing...around here in another thread. :o
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I had an old Lynch that I used back in the early 1980s, but I slipped on a wet rock and broke it crossing the creek one day. Never found another that sounded the same. I got a QB Boat Paddle in the 1990s that is my go to locator call. It has brought a lot of gobblers to their end. I have five more that I collected over the years, but only two of 'em sound as good as my original. I haven't found a custom call I like as good as that boat paddle. Plus, since it works, why change?

I've got a QB mini boat paddle that sounds pretty decent that I never use. Get me your address ICDEDTURKES and I'll send it to you. It would be better afield with you than sitting in a cabinet at my house.

Jim
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Carbon dating myself, but a Lynch box I bought with my grandfathers help in 1959. He also gave me a wing bone that was given to him by Roger Latham. I used those calls for many more years.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Dang ,you boys are youngsters. My first call was a blade of grass. Actually my first was a Lohman box (1979) call and a Gobbler shaker tube. I still have the box somewhere.I worked at GM and my co worker was Charles Knight. Harolds brother.About that time I got divorced,got drunk and stayed that way too long.Finally crawled out of that hole and got serious about turkey hunting. It wasn't long before every call I bought and used was a K & H.Harold gave me a couple push pins and I managed to kill my first gobbler with one in 1991.My favorite is still a K & H Slatek in the green acrylic pot.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
FireDoc

Post by FireDoc »

I too, was a fan of the Power Crystal and still have and use mine today.

I also had one of those Primos Wings that I used quite a bit successfully (if that counts as a call). I left it in the woods one morning, and went back to get it the following morning and it was gone. Broke my heart! Been trying to find one online since with no luck.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”