Savduck trumpet instruction

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
savduck

Savduck trumpet instruction

Post by savduck »

For years guys have asked me to make something. I put this together a few months back but didnt have time to upload it. It is in two parts due to the size. Hope it helps

Trumpets used in this video
Frank Cox......cocobola
John Dangerfield II.....cherry burl
Billy Buice.......Brazilian Rosewood and #3
MKW ( Mike Williams)............Mopane
Mudpuppi ( Craig Scott)........cocobola
Ralph Permar Classic.....cocobola

Part 1......The basics ( holding call, adjusting lipstop, back pressure, clucks, and yelps)

http://youtu.be/h9xqrwAGYmU

Part 2.......advanced calls( cackling yelps, quavies, gobbles, fly downs, kee kee)

http://youtu.be/WpAMClA7jB8
Last edited by savduck on May 25th, 2014, 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Savduck trumpet instruction

Post by guesswho »

Any tips on kee keeing in there? I haven't watched it yet, but need help with keeing.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
savduck

Post by savduck »

Yes.

Still downloading part 2. Thats where its at. Probably take about 15 minutes more.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Thanks!
Double Naught Spy!
savduck

Post by savduck »

Ronnie, i was lurking over on GON. I refuse to join, but I heard somebody was running their yaps about running trumpets and didnt know what they were talking about, so i went to check it out.

Saw your video. You sound good, I thought your gobble was awesome. I think your yelps and clucks are fine. I think as you get the air control down you will get even better. As you can see in my video, there are angled and straight mouth pieces being used, call makers making them less than 5 years, and they all sound just as good as the three big named trumpets i was running. So pretty much all the crap turkeydog spat out can be flushed down the toilet. You own two of the best in their class out there with MKW and Sharpes.

Ps, if you want to post these over on GON, feel free, i wont join it. You can post up i think most of turkeydogs opinions and advise is crap too.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Yeah, the air control for the keeing is where I was struggling. I've made progress, and on occasion can string together several good kee's. Yesterday afternoon I thought I had it figured out. For an hour I was hitting the sound and tone I was looking for. Sounded good on the recorder also. But today I seemed to have lost it again. Is that common? I figure it's like learning anything else, you get it, lose it and get it back several times before it's embedded in your muscle memory.
Double Naught Spy!
savduck

Post by savduck »

Its very normal to lose it. They say the kee kee is one of the hardest to learn.

Pinch down your lips tight, draw the air hard, and put your finger in the bell and almost cut the air off all the way. It will come. I prefer skinnier mouth pieces for kee keeing. The put less fatigue on your lips.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

savduck wrote:Ronnie, i was lurking over on GON. I refuse to join, but I heard somebody was running their yaps about running trumpets and didnt know what they were talking about, so i went to check it out.

Saw your video. You sound good, I thought your gobble was awesome. I think your yelps and clucks are fine. I think as you get the air control down you will get even better. As you can see in my video, there are angled and straight mouth pieces being used, call makers making them less than 5 years, and they all sound just as good as the three big named trumpets i was running. So pretty much all the crap turkeydog spat out can be flushed down the toilet. You own two of the best in their class out there with MKW and Sharpes.

Ps, if you want to post these over on GON, feel free, i wont join it. You can post up i think most of turkeydogs opinions and advise is crap too.

Good job on the tutorials, Del!

Ronnie, I had to check out your video on GON and see how you compare to Roy's calling. Dude, that was turkey! I too struggle with keeing consistently. Sometimes spot on, otheres I'm calling geese. I do ok at progressing the pitch a little higher with consecutive notes but my struggle is starting and stopping theair flow for note seperation without introducing a sound that would not be appealing to any ear.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I admire your bravery for putting yourself out there.

I dug into trumpets pretty deep a decade plus ago and while I've lost count how many I've got, its somewhere on the order of 100+. I think finger modulation is overhyped and that breath/lip control is a much more effective for changing pitch/tone. The point being, theres different ways to play a trumpet and no one was is more effective than another in my opinion.

I hate listening to audio files as something is typically lost in terms of sound quality. I thought the yelps and clucks sounded good but the kee-kee was flat and did not have enough pitch to it. But I'd imagine the kee-kee is the toughest note to accurately capture on an audio recording. You may have been spot on if heard in person. I'm not sure I've ever heard a quavie before. I havent heard a gobble from a trumpet yet that I've considered comparable to that from an actual Eastern gobbler in terms of loudness or power. I've heard some gobbles from a trumpet which sound similar to the yodeling type gobbles that you get in some Merriams or Goulds toms.

Trumpets are cool and I still carry my old standby Hornstra as I have for many years. After a few years of hunting solely using trumpets I've gone a different direction and now use trumpets as a complimentary call and would seldom to never use one as my primary call. I think you can get better and more reproduceable sounds using other call types. The trumpet mystique has worn off for me...
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Great Job Del ! Well Done ! :thumbup:

vaturkey :struttin:
savduck

Post by savduck »

Guys have asked me for a few years to put a video up. Nothing brave about it. Just trying to help some guys out since there isn't a lot of video out there. What is out there isn't all that great. Marlin Watkins has some good sound files..but it isn't instructional. Somebody on another forum was bragging about playing them for 20 years and put up a video. Quite honestly to my ears it wasn't all that good. Id love to hear and see your methods...especially air control without your fingers or palms helping to create back pressure. That would be interesting. Maybe you could post a video up on this same thread and we could pin it up and there would be more stuff out there. Ive wanted to sit with some experienced trumpet men and pick up pointers.

I agree that the kee kees weren't my best. I had been running trumpets all day and my lips were sore. My method uses tight lip tension to make the kee kees. I also don't think the gobble is all that great, in the video i state i just started trying to teach myself. It wouldn't be a sound Id use in the woods while hunting, however for learning purposes and the fun of playing it is in there. I made the quavy up myself, i hear real hens doing it while they are walking along feeding, so thats my rendetion on a trumpet.
milkman

Post by milkman »

Thank you very much for posting this. I've been playing a trumpet for about a year and I am passable with mine but after watching this it already has made me better. It's also refreshing that you aren't pushing anybody's call,just helping people learn. I was also part of the discussion on the other forum under another name and you are right TDH is a classless jerk.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Savduck, thanks for posting this! You could have made this up into a dvd and sold them and probably made some money. That you put it out here free says a lot about you!

The only other good instruction I've found on playing a trumpet was done years ago by Alan Sentell, but I'm not sure you can still buy them. Alan's video was very helpful, but I believe your instruction is the best I've seen.

>>>>After a few years of hunting solely using trumpets I've gone a different direction and now use trumpets as a complimentary call and would seldom to never use one as my primary call. I think you can get better and more reproduceable sounds using other call types. The trumpet mystique has worn off for me...<<<<

That's an interesting conclusion, and pretty close to my own experience. I've been wearing a trumpet around my neck in the turkey woods since the mid-70s, but the only sound I use it for often is the cluck. I can make repeatable clucks that turkeys usually love with my trumpets, and have killed several using nothing but a cluck from a trumpet. And I am very close to 100% of my clucks sounding good; I hardly ever mess one up and I can't remember but one turkey that I ever scared off by clucking at him with the trumpet. I wound up killing him the next week with an aluminum slate - guess he had never heard one of those. ;)

I can make pretty consistent yelps with a trumpet and they sure sound good to me. I am not 100% in my consistency, but I don't miss many notes with it. And when I hit it right, a yelp from a trumpet is the best sounding yelp I can make, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the turkeys don't agree. They seem to much prefer the yelps from my diaphragm calls, so I've pretty much just quit yelping with the trumpet. Dang stupid turkeys just don't know a good yelp when they hear one. :)

I'm sure its just that my calling isn't as good as I think it is, but I'll just use the trumpet for clucking. Savduck, thanks again for posting.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Why can't I see this. I keep goin to photobucket and a dead end.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
savduck

Post by savduck »

Thanks for the comments fellas. Ive been bitten by the trumpet bug for sure. I carry other calls, but I do try to kill them with just a trumpet a bunch. Im about to really go old school and use a side by side fox and aya to kill them. Ive been pretty lucky, these gobblers down here go bonkers over the trumpets, they like the yelping too. I feel that the trumpet is the only call that can replicate the soft yelp a hen does when she is just walking. It has a ring to it, that only can be reproduced by a trumpet, thats why i think they are so successful.

I actually am thinking about putting up a third video to go with these two, to better explain air manipulation, using your grip to muffle sound and my method of yelping, etc
Last edited by savduck on August 20th, 2013, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milkman

Post by milkman »

If you do put a third one up I know I will watch it over and over. I'm relatively new to the trumpet world but I've gotten addicted to the process. Last spring I found a gobbler that absolutely loved every sound I made on the trumpet,my lackluster shooting allowed him to escape but that experience gave me a lot of confidence. Thanks again for these videos.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Uhhh. Heellllooo

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
milkman

Post by milkman »

Johndoe wrote:Why can't I see this. I keep goin to photobucket and a dead end.
Are you trying to watch on your phone or a desk or laptop? Although this one worked fine one my phone some Photobucket videos won't play on my phone but they play fine on my desktop. Other than that I couldn't tell you,I'm so computer illiterate I'm lucky to get on the net.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

savduck wrote:Ronnie, i was lurking over on GON. I refuse to join, but I heard somebody was running their yaps about running trumpets and didnt know what they were talking about, so i went to check it out.

Gon forum ain't that bad if you can get around Hal's postings in the political forum :clown:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Nice work, Del.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Thanks for posting this up Del. Great job.
gaswamp wrote:Gon forum ain't that bad if you can get around Hal's postings in the political forum :clown:
:blackeye:

That's the best part of GON. Those guys in the PF are a barrel of laughs and are always good for some entertainment.
I think you can get better and more reproduceable sounds using other call types.
That's my take as well, though I don't personally own a trumpet. But I think it's just as important to have different sounds at your disposal, so I always carry some sort of suction yelper (usually a cane yelper) regardless.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I agree you can get reproduceable sounds with other type calls with less work. I am not so sure about better. A good majority of human ears would agree mouth calls replicate hens most accurately, myself included. I think Del is a perfect example of this. If you look up some video of him running mouth calls you will be blown away and I think the majority would agree he more accurately replicates hens with a mouth call. It should be noted he has ran mouth calls for 20 years and trumpets for 2. All of that said, there are things you don't hear expecially in a recording. When Del and I talk on the phone while driving down the road and I am rambling on about how many gobbler heads I'm gonna step on next Spring, he will be mindlessly running a trumpet with one hand while driving with the other. His little soft yelps and clucks with one hand are so pure turkey I forget what I am trying to say and just listen and I have to know which trumpet he's running. There is a raspy back end that is not recorded with low end video cameras and phones. I think more importantly there are acoustics that are not perceived by the human ear when listening to trumpets vs other calls inside or on recordings and even in the woods. For example, the Spring before last which coincidentally was the first time I used trumpets, my brothers and I were out scouting a few weeks before season. Mid morning in a 700 acre clear cut we were trying to locate some turkeys we had heard at daylight. Standing in the middle of the clear cut, we tried several locator calls, box call, long box and mouth call with no response. There was a 10-15 mph breeze. When I am locating I start off soft and increase the volume progressively. The last call I tried was a trumpet. The first soft sequence of clucks was cut off by two gobblers at 500+ yards. We repeated it several times, calling with mouth call, box and pot call with no response and they would then respond quickly to the trumpet. I have experienced this many times with a particular call on a particular day so that in itself meant little to me. The part that blew me away was playing the trumpet softly it echoed back off of the tree line at the edge of the clear cut. None of the other calls did this even when played loudly. We closed the distance to 200 yards and had the strutters in sight. At that distance I got a response from all types of calls. It tells me the other calls were dying out in the wind and the trumpet was not. I have had similar experiences many times since. I urge you to experiment with the echo some time.

I do appreciate you guys who have run trumpets and collected them for years chiming in. That is quite interesting that you carry them but it's not your primary call now.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Thanks David, appreciate the comments.

I dont want to lose focus on why I posted this up though.
I put it up so that there is a FREE, highly technical instructional video on how to start to run and make sounds with a trumpet. Something very few have done in the past. I didnt have any to learn by. I did this for guys who want to learn and get into it. Hopefully I make some guys better so this season there are less dying frog sounds in the woods and more realistic turkey sounds. So far its seems its serving its purpose, so Im satisfied. If you want to add some collective critism, go ahead, but post up something that takes this post further. Hell, id love to learn from somebody that runs one better than me. So far though Zach Farmer and Marlin Watkins are the only ones to make me raise my eyebrows, and Zach's is a totally different style and sound.

I do think that each call has a special purpose and the tumpet has something no other tpe of call has. When you listen to a real hen, they sometimes have a "ring" in between the two notes of their yelp. You cant get that sound on any other call but a trumpet. When i teach myself to call, im not trying to call like guys on the grand national stage, or some yoyo on you tube, a primos video, or even somebody with 40 years of tukey hunting experience. Im trying to call like the real hen that pulled an old long spurred gobbler away from me the weekend before.

And since it was mentioned. Here are three more videos. Mouth call, pot, and scratch box.

wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I'm all for using whatever call you have confidence in. I honestly think the confidence comes out audibly when using a caller and gobblers pick up on it. If that's a trumpet, then more power to you. For me it's probably a slate nowadays.

Please don't think I was being critical of your calling. Trumpets are great and I had the bug too a few years back. I wouldn't dare post a video, I've seen enough online shitshows to know better. lol...

As for upping your odds, I take the other side of the coin and noted some years ago a guy I hunted with who dabbled with making trumpets that a lot of his crisp popping clucks end up sounding a lot like putts. A lot of his yelps ended up sounding miserable too. Heaven forbid its a crisp cold morning and your lips are chapped. I also could never find a pair of gloves no matter how sheer that didn't dampen the sound and negatively impact the quality of the call. Lastly, I found trumpets cumbersome to use with my gun up. My own success rate skyrocketed when I decided to mix the trumpet in as opposed to using them exclusively. Being a member of the turkey call elite proved counterproductive for killing birds. In my case, I think the trumpet is probably more of a liability than an asset to the majority of people toting them.

Interesting discussion...

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”