witty-wha-too

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

witty-wha-too

Post by hawglips »

http://www.turkeycountrymagazine.org/Me ... ure_7.html

Do you use this call or a version of it in your repertoire?
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: witty-wha-too

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:dontknow: NOPE cant do that one !
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Never use that one...just not sure why you would need it to bring him from 50 yrds....he should be dead by then. :toothy7:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Interesting my hearing must be shot. cause I've never heard that before. Not saying hens don't do it. i just never heard that sequence before. :dontknow:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Fancier name for the"do it, whit whit"?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I wonder who made that name up? Never heard that saying before. He is just making some whines that turkeys do when conversing back and forth at close range. I hear it every day when I go feed my turkeys. It can also be an aggressive call. My gobbler does it to try and show his dominance over me. Can anybody just make up a name? I want to call it the wheeoo whitt. Thats what it sounds more like than the witty wha too. Ever since Scott Ellis put his version of the whine on youtube people are starting to try and imitate it. JMO and .02

TRKYHTR

BTW here is the sounds he is trying to imitate. This is a video of my turkeys I took last fall after I fed them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evMA3bNDDOY
Eph 2:8-9
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

I've heard it...Spending time with penned turkeys or just sitting watching them in the wild out of season really does educate one on all of the sounds that a bird makes....there's alot more than the basics that's for sure...
Cool video TRKYHTR
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

witty-wha-too

Post by drenalinld »

I have heard similar. Turkeys are rarely silent. Tons of soft subtle stuff. I have made whitts, whines, and really soft clucks for a long time. More so before I could purr with adrenaline induced dry mouth!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Sounds to me like he's trying to combine the high pitched cluck that they do with some whines, and tagged a few purrs on for good measure. I'm a firm believer in being able to execute good, soft closing calls. I routinely use high clucks with purrs and some leaf scratching for close in calls.
ccleroy

witty-wha-too

Post by ccleroy »

" Expert "
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

TRKYHTR wrote:I wonder who made that name up? ...
According to the magazine article, that's what Jim Clay calls it.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I liked TRKYHTR video. Ive heard that before. I still don't remeber hearing that other Dudes rendition before. Either way its nice to keep learning new things. :thumbup:

"Caller 5 ...Give us your best rendition of the Whitty Wa chitty chitty Bang Bang"

I know... Chut the F-up gobblerD :shock:
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Good video Hawglips, thanks for posting. I've heard these sounds from both wild and tame turkeys. I called is a "wick O will" because that's the best words I could come up to describe the sound. Really never heard anyone able to mimic the call before but after seeing the video I think I'll begin to try it. Tame turkeys would make this call aggresively along with fighting purrs, usually when fighting over a scratchfeed pile when we fed them. When you heard the "wick O will" it was usually followed up with flogging and a fight. I've often thought it might be used to tick off a tom while hunting. I've never thought of using it in the manner the fellow suggests but have surely heard wild hens use the more subtle call he does.
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

How long now until somebody produces a call that is guaranteed to make deadly witty-wa-toos?
I don't know if I've ever heard that particular sequence, but it seems to me that hen turkeys are almost constantly making little soft whines. I think any kind of little soft whistle mixed with a few of those high pitched clucks would sound natural to a turkey.
scott ellis

Post by scott ellis »

Here is my rendition and instruction. Thanks Joe! Kinda of a compliment I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKOdTw_VnVk
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

drenalinld wrote:I have heard similar. Turkeys are rarely silent. Tons of soft subtle stuff. I have made whitts, whines, and really soft clucks for a long time. More so before I could purr with adrenaline induced dry mouth!
I've got the same problem! How'd did u overcome it?
Duke0002

Post by Duke0002 »

dirt road ninja wrote:
drenalinld wrote:I have heard similar. Turkeys are rarely silent. Tons of soft subtle stuff. I have made whitts, whines, and really soft clucks for a long time. More so before I could purr with adrenaline induced dry mouth!
I've got the same problem! How'd did u overcome it?
Here is what has helped me.

1) Drink lotsa water before leaving vehicle. More than you think you need.
2) Before leaving vehicle, rinse with mouthwash to get rid of thick stuff.
3) If dry, just cluck until things loosen up.
4) Drink and rinse with water every so often.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

witty-wha-too

Post by drenalinld »

I learned to get decent sounding purrs with tongue fluttering rather than gargling throat when mouth is dry. Doesn't sound quite as realistic to me, but pretty good.
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

I'm good till I see him or hear him walking then my mouth goes dry. It sucks not being able to purr at a bird that's 35 yards away behind some trash or 50 yards out looking for the hen he should see. Been practicing riding down the road with my mouth open to dry it out and holding a call to the ac vent in the truck to dry it out. Then I hurry up and throw out a few sick sounding purrs. I stay well hydrated in the woods, I'm a water pig. I carry enough water for an overnight trip and drink it all by lunch.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”