3" and smaller

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

3" and smaller

Post by howl »

Who makes good small pot calls?
Bustinbeards

Re: 3" and smaller

Post by Bustinbeards »

I bought this one a few years ago, it is a real soft hollow sounding call. It is about 2.25" across
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Mike Yingling makes a good one
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

Second mike yingling he makes an awsome pot pretty reasonable small I have a couple 3 of them my favorite is his copper pot just a different sound you don't hear everyone using great guy also
firedup

Post by firedup »

Mike Yingling copper is a solid pot call. Lonnie Sneed also makes a 3". I think Ed Jenkins with Ghostmaker calls makes a small pot too. His work is always top notch. If you can find one I think the old HS Strut Double Deuce was under 3". It was amazingly good sound out of small pot. Makes me think I need dig down and see if I still have mine....
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I was about to mention the old H.S. Strut Lil' Deuce in double glass and see someone beat me to it. Not as nice looking with its plastic pot as the mentioned above custom calls, but the sound is fine. I have another smaller one in slate packed away by someone else and I'll dig it out when I return home Sunday. I need to check out these custom calls. Thanks for posting them. Gil
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

The HS Lil Deuce is hands down the best pot I've ever heard and I've heard a great many. I know that sounds impossible that a cheap call could beat high dollar customs, but the proof is in the pudding. I even buy them to remove the surface and add aluminum. The Al over glass LD call is down right seductive. Complement them with a few nice strikers and they are deadly. I have 4 Lil Deuce pots in my vest and will prob never have a different brand. I run aluminum on the double glass, Purple Heart or hickory on the slate, and Purple Heart on the aluminum. I bet I've called in 200 if not more with them over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here are my small calls with a Steve Harrison full size one for comparison. The Lil' Purr is 2.75" OD overall. All are killers. All but the Lil Duece are slate over glass. The one in the upper left corner is by a maker I don't recall. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Mr. Squealing Hen sure got it right on the Li'l Deuce! I keep one handy for my kids to play with when they ask to handle my other calls. I am going to have something real similar done up in an osage pot. That way I can use one without abandoning my snobbish sensibility.

I think these 3" callers have more realistic volume when you crank on them for excited tones. The bigger calls can be too loud to be as realistic; at least for someone with my limited ability.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I took Reloader's advice and ordered aluminum and copper rounds from Brookside Game Calls and a handful of Lil Deuces, the old version. Vendor on Ebay has them for $11 delivered. The newer version is a Rube Goldberged version of the earlier and larger in the hand. I lay a flat head screw on the glass surface, a .5" from the rim, lay the flat blade of the pattern knife on the screw to overlap edges. Rap with a hammer. Alternatively, lay the screw on a counter, place the call on screw and mash the back of the call with the palm of the hand. The rim stops the screw from hitting the sound board glass below the surface. Peel out the glass and silicone bead which are easy to remove. I've tried Goop and Silicone cement. The silicone was less messier. I covered the outside surface with wide painter's blue tape, and trimmed it around the edges with scissors. Lay a bead around the inside rim. Don't miss any of the rim with the glue. Lay in the taped round, tape up. Use a spring clamp and let sit for 24 hours. They sound good, but so does the glass. You can make a fine diy pot call using this method. Thanks for the idea, Ronny. Gil
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

I bought a Knight & Hale Stranglehold glass the other day from Midway just just because it was cheap sounds as good as some of my high dollar custom calls plus its small an fit in my old tom shirt good

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

Also have a call I bought from Midwest Turkey call that sounds good I bought the glass but next time I order am going to get a slate it sounded so goodImage

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

We've got a new 3 inch call coming out this year. Let me find out if I can upload the sound file.

Steve morganstern has built my girlfriend a handful of awesome smaller pots

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”