trumpet help

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

trumpet help

Post by Turkinator »

what are some tecniques to get a sharp kee kee on a trumpet yelper?
firedup

Re: trumpet help

Post by firedup »

Easier to let someone else do it. LOL! Del is pretty good.
part 1 - general trumpet use

http://youtu.be/h9xqrwAGYmU

Part 2 - making the various calls

http://youtu.be/WpAMClA7jB8
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

That guy is good!
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

First you would learn by experementing with lip placement and back pressure to get the high note. Make sure you do the series of kee's using the same pull of air or you could say the same breath.
savduck

Post by savduck »

KP is the man. I started doing it a little different now than I do in the video. I heard Steve Turpin do a kee kee with open hands so i started trying and now have a different way. For me its a different draw of air than the yelp. The best kee kee on a trumpet ive heard is mark prudhomme. He and I were messing around in Nashville and he can flat out do it.

The biggest thing like Kenny said is to get back pressure to get your high pitch. From there its just practice all the time. Im still not totally satisfied with mine, its a work in progress as they say.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

No Kp isn't.... :lol: The kee kee is my weakest call on the trumpet. Just something I don't practise a whole bunch. Alot can be learned from Del's trumpet videos.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I'm really enjoying learning this trumpet, it's a different learning curve than a diaphragm or pot or box.But the yelps and clucks I'm getting make it worth it.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

By the way that back pressure made a world of difference!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have a strong one note kee :lol:
savduck

Post by savduck »

I play around with trying to mimic a kee kee, but in the woods I wouldnt do it. I just use yelps, clucks, and cutts in hunting situations.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Working on the "kee"helps my yelps sound better.
savduck

Post by savduck »

It does, that why i play around trying to mimic all the other sounds. It helps develop muscle and air control.
firedup

Post by firedup »

I can get an acceptable (LOL!) Kee most of the time. They are not consistently the same but the birds seem to respond anyway. Thankfully all the turks don't sound the same. For me its more about the lip pressure and air draw as Savduc said. The hands seem to take care of themselves. I run a trumpet with a more open style hand anyway. Does anyone have a good technique for how to purr and gobble. Those 2 calls have me flat whooped.
savduck

Post by savduck »

I only know of two guys that can do a decent purr on a trumpet. One guy doesnt like to be mentioned, the second guy is John Dangerfield. He has a sample of him doing it on his website, but if you call him he is moret han willing to chat with you about it. He is a great guy and also makes a great trumpet.

Good luck on the gobble. Ive heard rumors there is a fella that does a good one but i havent heard it.
firedup

Post by firedup »

I have heard the gobble can be done on a trumpet. I have seen video of Mr. Farmer purring and it sounded pretty good and I have read and studied his method from his book and it doesn't really work for me very well. Or I haven't grasped the concept well or something.......
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I can do somewhat of a gooble on a trumpet, but I can do it much better with my natural voice. I do have a friend from N.Y. that does one of the most realistic gobbles I've ever heard on a wing bone I built him several years ago. I've yet to hear anyone purr on a trumpet, but I've heard of a couple. Mine sounds more like a low whine than a purr.. :roll:

firedup
I have never heard anyone play a Farmer trumpet like Mr. Farmer can run his own woodwind. Are you trying to purr on one of his calls are a trumpet by another call maker...? His calls aren't quite the same in design.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Ive got cell phone video of Mr. Zach running his trumpet five feet in front of me. He asked me not to post it on the internet. It sounds like a mouth call, i noticed he places it on the front of his lips instead of the top. Zach, never purred for me though. He has his own sound, its more like a mouth call than the style I play. The one guy I told you doesnt like to be mentioned, is a younger fella around forty who grew up in church with Mr Zach, he was given a trumpet at age nine and was tutored by Zach. He to me can run his better than Zach and he can purr. Its sounds more like an aggresive purr, but its a purr. About three years ago this fella and Zach were running trumpets together while we wer talking to them. It was an immpressive showing.

Dangerfields style is similar to Zachs but not really. He kinda has his own thing. he also can purr pretty well. He was trying to teach me the last time I went up to hang out with him. He said it took him five years to master it. Its also an aggrsive style purr buts sounds pretty good.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I can gobble and purr on a trumpet and wingbone but neither sound like a real turkey.
Eph 2:8-9
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

As long as I can get a good clear cluck, and a good yelp, I'm satisfied. :thumbup:
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

By the way these trumpet calls are addictive. Can't seem to put it down
firedup

Post by firedup »

All of what has been said actually makes sense to me. KP - I have never had the privilege of running a Farmer call so I am trying his methods (as I read it) on other makers calls. And TKYHTR - my attempts at a purr are much stronger on a wingbone than a trumpet. Either way, my purr is pretty weak and not very consistant but sometimes I can sort of hit it. Nothing that I am really satisfied with tho. Guess I will keep working on it. Maybe worry about the gobble after I get the purr.....like 5 years later??? LOL!

Oh yeah, an old school wingbone man told me once that the gobble came from the hands. Anyone have any thoughts on this? This was a few years back when I was just getting interested in such things and was really happy with a good yelp. I never got a chance to follow up......alas he was one of our elder statesmen and has gone on to the perpetual spring. He was a good un!
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Coming late to the discussion, but I'll add my 2 cents as someone that is still on the steep learning curve. The trumpet makes a difference. The trumpet that I find easiest to get a good kee kee with is not the trumpet that gives me the best yelps and it isn't a subtle difference. I can get a decent kee kee from both, but one is more consistent by far and the other I do not have the confidence to use in the game. Both are from really well known makers. I carry both of them.
savduck

Post by savduck »

The old times wingbone guy is probably talking about shaking his hands when gobbling. If you can cluck, cut, and yelp on one you don't need to do anything else. And yeah they are addicting.

I made this video this morning.

http://youtu.be/hfLbvbZRl40

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”