Part III

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
Roy

Part III

Post by Roy »

" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
GobbleNut

Re: Part III

Post by GobbleNut »

Again, very realistic calling.
That particular sequence does make me think about the difference between "cutting" and "putting" and how turkeys (and hunters) react to those sounds. If I was in a hunting situation and with turkeys approaching and heard that sequence, my first thought would be that a hen had spotted something she didn't like and the gig was up,...especially if the calling started getting further away.

Of course, we have all heard that same calling from an approaching hen that was just demanding that the calling bird (hunter) she is hearing show itself,...or she was going to get concerned.

Bottom line for me is that the calling you did there is something I would do only as a response call I would use if a hen was doing it first. I would be too concerned about the turkeys thinking it was an alarm putt if I made that call without the turkeys making it first. However, I have used that as a response to birds that started doing it first in an effort to settle them down and bring them on in many times. ....Sometimes it words,...and sometimes it doesn't....
Roy

Post by Roy »

Someone told me when they heard it they thought it was something that a hen would do if they saw a coyote. Great ear!
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

To illustrate the margin of error in reproducing clucks, cutts, and putts, I will tell a story.

Years ago, I was filming a group of fifteen gobblers a couple of weeks before the spring season was to start. I had been watching them for a while at about thirty five yards, and they were just strutting and feeding around. They had just come off of the roost and were making a racket,....gobbling, yelping, purring, and clucking at each other. I could hear them clearly and they were not at all nervous or alarmed about anything,...just kept doing their thing and talking about it as they went.

I was filming for maybe fifteen minutes, getting all of the conversation on film, when all of a sudden every one of them suddenly went to alert, popping their heads up fully to look around for a second,....and then, just as quickly went back into strutting and feeding as if nothing had happened. At home afterwards, I watched the video over and over again to see what had caused them to go into alert mode.

I determined that one of them had inadvertently made a cluck that sounded too much like a putt to the others apparently. I could not tell the difference, but every single one of them could and their reaction to it was immediate. Just as quickly, however, they all figured out that one of them had just misspoke and that there was nothing wrong. The point being, that turkeys will interpret even the most subtle of sound differences from their flock mates in a manner that is hard for us hunters to understand.

The bottom line is that I shy away from making any sounds that I think might be interpreted differently to the turkeys than I am intending when I call.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”