I need help finding a call that is not raspy

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
gs12jdg

I need help finding a call that is not raspy

Post by gs12jdg »

Hello,
I just joined the forum so this is my first post.
I just started turkey hunting this year and I have bought 4 diaphragm calls. I have been practicing on them and can get some pretty good clucks and cuts, but my yelps sound super raspy to me. I bought 4 calls hoping they would sound different, but they all sound about the same. Which diaphragm calls have the least raspy sound? The calls I have are all made by Primos and the models are:
True Double
Limb Hanger
Will Primos-1
The 4th one is a Sonic Dome type (not sure the exact model)

I appreciate any suggestions you can give me for a nonraspy mouth call.

Attached is audio of one of my calls (let the bashing begin ;) )

Thank you
Last edited by gs12jdg on April 17th, 2015, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeadowCreekMounts

Re: I need help finding a call that is not raspy

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

Try a 2 reed with no cuts in the top reed.
gs12jdg

Post by gs12jdg »

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:Try a 2 reed with no cuts in the top reed.
Thanks for the reply. I believe all of the calls I have are 2 reeds and the only one with a cut is the Will Primos 1 (I think its a batwing). None of the others have any cuts in them but they all sound raspy. Maybe it is just the way I am blowing or something.
MeadowCreekMounts

gs12jdg wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I believe all of the calls I have are 2 reeds and the only one with a cut is the Will Primos 1 (I think its a batwing). None of the others have any cuts in them but they all sound raspy. Maybe it is just the way I am blowing or something.

I SUCKED with mouth calls until a few months back. I'm still not great, but I'm a lot better than I was.

START OVER and watch the videos below, they help a ton. Go through learning exactly what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPXoGEZeYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPnzMPp5LQ
MeadowCreekMounts

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
gs12jdg wrote:

I SUCKED with mouth calls until a few months back. I'm still not great, but I'm a lot better than I was.

START OVER and watch the videos below, they help a ton. Go through learning exactly what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPXoGEZeYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPnzMPp5LQ
If your all raspy, you probably will struggle with making the first really high pitched note that he talks about in the first video.
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

You may not be putting enough tongue pressure on the reeds. You can take some small scissors and cut the points off the ends of reeds. I will sometimes turn them upside down to do some soft, clean sounding tree yelps or to keekee. Hope this helps
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I build a couple that's not very raspy, Classic Hen and the PLS. I also can build gulvas style yelpers out of proph, or anything you might want for that matter.

www.gooserbatcalls.com
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
firedup

Post by firedup »

Good gosh I wish I had that problem...... :( I struggle to find a call I can run raspy enuff.
gs12jdg

Post by gs12jdg »

I can hold the high notes and the low notes. I just cannot get the yelp to sound like the videos I hear. Every time it sounds too raspy when I use the cholk, chick, chip or similar word technique.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

If you have just started using a mouth call, then it is likely that your mechanics are not yet refined enough to give you sound advice on what you need to do. Right now, it sounds to me like you just need to practice more and learn to control the air flow over the reeds to produce the varied sounds you want. If you are using mostly un-cut reed calls, you should ultimately have no problem with getting non-raspy yelps from them.

Fundamentally, un-cut reed calls generally do not produce the same rasp as cut reed calls. If you are too raspy for your liking using calls with no reed cuts, you will most probably not like the rasp you will get using cut reeds.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”