Different

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Different

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I asked this on the other board a year a go and nobody got what I was saying and it went way off track.

We have all heard the story of the guy who works a bird for days to no avail.. He goes home builds a tube out of a film canister and kills the bird the next day due to giving him something different.. We hear this "different" story with tubes, wingbones, trumpets, scratchers, weird wood boxes etc.. And alot of people chalk up killing birds with them because its something they have not heard..

Do these calls kill birds because they are "different" or is it because they better replicate a turkey to the turkeys.. Or in the above case, taking out the fact that the bird might have been killable that day regardless of caller, did the "different" caller better replicate a hen the gobbler was familiar with..
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Different

Post by redarrow »

Yes. I think so. I use a pot,and only occasionally a box. Nothing else.I used a pot one morning and they answered every call,but wouldn't come in. I could see them strutting on a ridge. At the time I had never purred before . Wasn't even sure how. At the sound of the first purr they ran me over. Boom. Deal sealed.In that case they wanted a totally diff. sound,I reckon.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

There is a tone on a mouth call that I have heard guys make. Its sounds off to me. No rasp in it and no hi lo. Its hard to describe. The first time I heard it the guy i was with said to me "This mouth call doesn't sound that good to you and me but the Turkeys like it and come in." And he Killed his limit every year.

The second time I heard that same yelp TS was doing it. I said You sound terrible. Then Gobble, Gobble, Gobble. And he called that bird in. It loved that call and tone. I thought it was off but the proof was there in a Dead Gobbler.

This is a great question. I think that is why I carry some different sounding calls now. :scratch:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

A lot of variables...even the mood of the gobbler. I've called in and killed birds using the same call I used the previous day on them when they appeared not to give two poops about what I did.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Im going to say b/c it sounds different.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

very good question. but i am going to go with "bird is killable on that day"
birds will gobble and come running to a truck door squeeking when opened, They may not have came running to it the previous day.
I think that if you are trying to kill a single bird for a few days, its best to try different calls tho. just to play the science game with him.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I think it's because it's different. Not diffferent like people tend to think. I think it's a different cadence instead of tone that peaks their interest. Your average caller like myself have a different cadence from one style caller to the next, mouth vs. pot. vs. box ect. I've had birds ignore my calling, but then using the same caller just speed up or slow down the cadence and get his interest. I may be totally wrong but I have convinced myself to change up my calling on one call before switching to another.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

That's the million dollar question...what makes a gobbler commit to calling?

An example I have is a buddy and I were calling to 4 gobblers 150 yards out in a pasture. We could see them with 2 hens. After 20 minutes of being rudely ignored calling to them on a raspy mouth call I flipped over the call and called on the "clean" side of the call that sounded like a single reed call. The gobblers picked up their heads, left the hens and walked single file out of the pasture and up the road into the woods where my buddy was able to make the kill. We both shook our head and asked why did those birds leave the hens like that.

Is it a certain pitch or is it a rhythm/cadence that they are looking for? We have all had mornings where they would only gobble to a certain call. I guess that's why we carry so many??
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

Here is my theory. I think a gobbler knows the sounds of the turkeys in their area. If Ole Betsy sounds like a box call that gobbler will probably come to a box call. If there are hens in the area that sound high pitch then a call that reproduces a high pitch sound would work better. You get my point. I have no data to back up my theory just observations over the years. It could all just be hogwash and the turkey comes because he is lonely that day. Who knows.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

TRKYHTR wrote:Here is my theory. I think a gobbler knows the sounds of the turkeys in their area. If Ole Betsy sounds like a box call that gobbler will probably come to a box call. If there are hens in the area that sound high pitch then a call that reproduces a high pitch sound would work better. You get my point. I have no data to back up my theory just observations over the years. It could all just be hogwash and the turkey comes because he is lonely that day. Who knows.

TRKYHTR
Joe I believe your theory is valid and what I too believe.. I think some evidence is showed when you are working a bird and a hen pipes up somewhere else.. Alot of time a gobbler takes interest in that hen because he recognizes her after spending 365 days a year with her in the woods.
Cove

Post by Cove »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
TRKYHTR wrote:Here is my theory. I think a gobbler knows the sounds of the turkeys in their area. If Ole Betsy sounds like a box call that gobbler will probably come to a box call. If there are hens in the area that sound high pitch then a call that reproduces a high pitch sound would work better. You get my point. I have no data to back up my theory just observations over the years. It could all just be hogwash and the turkey comes because he is lonely that day. Who knows.

TRKYHTR
Joe I believe your theory is valid and what I too believe.. I think some evidence is showed when you are working a bird and a hen pipes up somewhere else.. Alot of time a gobbler takes interest in that hen because he recognizes her after spending 365 days a year with her in the woods.
This is along the lines of what I believe. Find a sound that's close to one of his ladies and find him lonely.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:

TRKYHTR
gobblers never spend 365 days a year with the hens :mrgreen:
Cove

Post by Cove »

Turkey Talker wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:

TRKYHTR
gobblers never spend 365 days a year with the hens :mrgreen:

But like I've heard many married friends say, "I've still gotta listen to her ch!t!!"
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:

TRKYHTR
I think there are so many variables in every situation that it would be almost impossible to determine for sure. But if I had to choose one reason over all the others for a gobbler inexplicably changing his attitude about approaching a call,...with all other factors being equal,...this is the one I would choose, too.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Good topic. Let's see what our new think tank has to say.

[quote="Gobbler"]There is a tone on a mouth call that I have heard guys make. Its sounds off to me. No rasp in it and no hi lo. Its hard to describe. [quote]

I describe as a sick goose and am quite good at producing said sound not necessarily on command, but I get it often.

I think many times we judge calls by how they sound when we play them or are standing near them when they sound quite a bit different at any distance in the field.

That said, I attribute the phenomenon described in the original post to a different sound and sometimes a different mood of the gobbler. Another explanation may be this, how do you know it is the same gobbler as yesterday?
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

It's probably a combination of all the things listed above, but another thing is that if you fool with a turkey a few times and pay attention, you'll start eliminating some things he doesn't like and concentrating on things he likes. Of course this can change from day to day so it doesn't always work.

Main thing though I think is that you either catch him on the right day or more importantly set up in a place that he feels comfortable in and has no reservations about coming to. Sometimes we do that by accident or blind luck, but I thing as long as you're a competent caller where you set up is a lot more important than what call you use.

The best turkey hunter by far that I was ever around honestly didn't sound very good at all with a turkey call, but he could hear a turkey gobble, survey the situation, walk around and find a tree and finally say "He'll come right here"............ More often than not he would walk out of the woods with that bird slung over his shoulder.
He's gone now, and I didn't know enough to appreciate what I was seeing then, but I would give anything if I could go back and pick his brain about how he figured out where he was gonna sit down
savduck

Post by savduck »

I think something different kills them sometimes. I think its kinda like middle school boys all chasing the new girl on the block.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I think different is it some times and not other times. I do have a habit of not using the call I used yesterday, today on the same bird. I might try it as a last resort that day but will almost never start out with it if I used it the day before and didnt kill him.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Johndoe wrote: I do have a habit of not using the call I used yesterday, today on the same bird. I might try it as a last resort that day but will almost never start out with it if I used it the day before and didnt kill him.

John

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I have a totally different take on that situation.
I will almost always use the same call the next day, on the same bird, especially if I have not hunted this area in a while(except yesterday, of course). My reasoning is that I believe sometimes toms might not come to what they deem to be a "strange hen" in the area. And on day 2 or 3, they may think, "Hmm...she's still here, I'd better check her out."
This may be totally wrong, but that's my thought most of the time.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

MKW wrote:
Johndoe wrote: I do have a habit of not using the call I used yesterday, today on the same bird. I might try it as a last resort that day but will almost never start out with it if I used it the day before and didnt kill him.

John

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I have a totally different take on that situation.
I will almost always use the same call the next day, on the same bird, especially if I have not hunted this area in a while(except yesterday, of course). My reasoning is that I believe sometimes toms might not come to what they deem to be a "strange hen" in the area. And on day 2 or 3, they may think, "Hmm...she's still here, I'd better check her out."
This may be totally wrong, but that's my thought most of the time.

Mike
And that is my thought process as well.. He thinks Damn this Biotch is stubborn.. Hunting small properties property lines become issues.. Sometimes after working a bird on the other side of the line 1-2 days in a row at a specific hour you go back on day 3-4 around the same time to find the gobbler exactly from your previous calling position.. Almost like you the hen has been accepted as a tenant.

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”