Head Steppin !

All about the 2016 Gobbler Nation turkey hunting contest.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Head Steppin !

Post by timbrhuntr »

I know not everyone likes it but I love to see a big boot or a little boot on a gobblers head !

So if ya got them post them up unless someone finds that offensive if so then :bootyshake: ! :roll: ;)

What I hope to see is a big set of clown err I mean wrestling boots on ones head ! :angel4: :stir:
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Head Steppin !

Post by Grumpy »

I think most people on this site have too much respect for the bird to be doing that crap let alone posting pictures of it, I really hope so anyway....... :angryfire:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I just shot it in the head with a shotgun load how does stepping on its head and pulling its feet to quickly finish it off while its floppiing around show less respect, letting it maybe get up and run off wounded to die slow later would I guess :dontknow: :roll:

I am the only one that steps on a birds head when its flopping after being shot ?
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

If'n it be floppin,I be steppin.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Been meaning to ask what stepping on the head is all about for years, but always forget about it.
What is that all about??? I ain't never even thought about doing it, let alone actually done it.
Now, I've choked a few back in my CP lead shooting days, but that has been 20 years or better since shooting Hevi and TSS now.
Birds are dead now when I walk up to em. :mrgreen:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

When i first started hunting them i would run up and step on their neck to keep them from jumping up and running away. Now that i know that doesnt happen often i just sit and watch em flop.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Head Steppin !

Post by davisd9 »

I step on the head even with HTL loads. I prefer not to have him flopping all over the place. I do not run there like I used to with lead, but it gives me a moment to settle myself and not have him knocking every feather on him all over the place. Have seen fans tore up and beards about pulled off from flopping. Not a huge fan of the boot photo, but there is a time and place for it. I prefer to see the boot over a blind and flock of decoy picture.

Sent from the Strut Zone
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

davisd9 wrote:I step on the head even with HTL loads. I prefer not to have him flopping all over the place. I do not run there like I used to with lead, but it gives me a moment to settle myself and not have him knocking every feather on him all over the place. Have seen fans tore up and beards about pulled off from flopping. Not a huge fan of the boot photo, but there is a time and place for it. I prefer to see the boot over a blind and flock of decoy picture.
^This is pretty much me, I just stand on their neck to keep'em from floppin' all over. Guys can take pictures, hunt'em, kill'em, cook'em, anyway they want and I will give them the :thumbup:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Result of mis-planted foot on a 2015 rambunctious flopper:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Hee hee oh that sucks ! I know I did that on a nice Tom I shot this spring. I was set up in the woods calling when a hen came in yelping. I was watching her when I heard a putt to my left. I turned and a nice Tom was standing there head up looking at me! Before he could turn I had the dot on his neck and fired. He dropped and I went over to him. I put my foot on his head and went to grab his feet . As I did he came to life and began to spin. I got a good spurring and half of his tail fan came right out in my hand also. Makes for a sad hero shot after. I found out that they really can release their tail feathers if grabbed and still alive even partially ! :blackeye:
Last edited by timbrhuntr on June 3rd, 2016, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Back in the lead days and still today if he is blinking then he got a heel stomp to the head. :violent1: But very few have ever been blinking when I walked up to them. As of my tss kills so far not many have even flopped just walked out to them and threw them over shoulder and walked out of the woods.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

This is true i don't always need to step on their heads and dont always anymore but it's a hard habit to break like using decoys because when I first started I was taught to get to the bird right away and put a boot on his head or he may just recover and head for the woods !

When I was in Florida a few years ago a met a guy from Pennsylvania and he had been hunting the week before with no bird! He was bummed out because on his first morning a nice tom came in and he shot it. He sat there for a minute before going to it. To his surprise the bird began to flop then got up and ran into the woods. He never found it and left Florida without competing his grand slam !
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

there have been a few that ive not hit very well. in that case they get the size 13 on the head and a full on octopus stretch. about 5 seconds and they are lifeless.
El Sicario
The Mossberg Mauler

Post by The Mossberg Mauler »

Out of habit I just bounce of a barbedwire fence or jump from a nearby stump and give them the big splash. Usually not much flopping after that. At least not from the turkey.
No Need To Count Holes In Paper. My Mossberg And Lead Kill'em Dead!!!!

I've wined and dined with Kings and Queens, and I've slept in the alley eating pork and beans.

Fox Trot Pro Staff Wannabe
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

The Mossberg Mauler wrote:Out of habit I just bounce of a barbedwire fence or jump from a nearby stump and give them the big splash. Usually not much flopping after that. At least not from the turkey.
Like Eddie Guerrero frog splash or like Hogan's leg drop? I think "The People's Elbow" would be the the ticket.
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

Always have....always will. I was taught a long time ago.

Your foot on his head....he is all yours.

Your eye in the northeast sky.
Coalman Blog http://www.coalmansblog.com
The Mossberg Mauler

Post by The Mossberg Mauler »

Frog Splash style. I agree the people's elbow would be a great choice, but a turkeys head isn't very big and doesn't present a high percentage target while floppage is occurring.
No Need To Count Holes In Paper. My Mossberg And Lead Kill'em Dead!!!!

I've wined and dined with Kings and Queens, and I've slept in the alley eating pork and beans.

Fox Trot Pro Staff Wannabe
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

I put a boot on the neck in most cases.
Force of habit I guess. However, anyone that hasn't shot a gobbler
And had it suddenly come to life and try to run off, has not shot enough
Gobblers!!! Or they are just better shots than I.
I don't see it disrespectful at all!!! Just the opposite because I would hate to let a
Wounded bird get away.
As far as flop or no flop, and TSS kills them without flipping, that's a bunch of crap.
Ever cut the head off a chicken? Plucked the head off a winged dove?
Flop Flop Flop. It's called nervous system.
Attachments
image.jpeg
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Head Steppin !

Post by davisd9 »

No flop with TSS argument:

First bird I ever killed with it was a two year old that was my first bird this year. I killed him at 30 yards. I shot and the one with him cut a flip and started taking off. When I shot I started doing fighting purrs to get the bird to stay/stop so my buddy with me could shoot the double. We both killed a bird and I said my bird did not make a movement after being shot. He later sent me the video of our hunt from his tactacam. Guess what? My bird flopped some to begin with. I guess in the situation I did not focus on him and just thought he never moved.

I thought I missed my Kansas bird cause birds scattered after the shot and I did not see him on the ground. I started cutting hoping one other tom would stop, they did out of range at 65 yards. So I was starting to wrap my gun around the closest tree when he started flopping. He did not flop for a good 2 minutes. When he fell it was in a low spot in which I could not see him.

Have killed birds that I thought never moved, wonder if I missed it with some in the excitement, and some that flopped all over the place.

Sent from the Strut Zone
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I have noticed a total CNS shutdown more so with TSS more than I did with lead. Not to say they don't flop occasionally, but have noticed a decrease in flop with TSS. Here's what I use besides a boot on the neck, a turkey brain shiv. Cut-off ice pick with triangulated point:
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

I thought I had seen and heard it all GLS.
That's brilliant! :violent1:
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

K9Doc wrote:I thought I had seen and heard it all GLS.
That's brilliant! :violent1:
Pretty sure GLS is the real life Macgyver.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

In big hills and steep country I put a foot on their head now and then. Not to make sure they're dead, just to keep them from rolling away if they take a delayed flopping fit. As far as birds not flopping with tss. I believe I've seen a huge enough sampling to say that some do, some dont...
Momma said "kill that turkey"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I started carrying the shiv a few years after I had a fight to the death with a swamp turkey. I was shooting my old 835, and emptied it as he did a slow death trot away from me. I hauled ass after him, knocked him down, and he got up. I had no shells left. I tried to whack him with a rotten stick, but it broke in my hands. I jumped him and broke his neck with my hands, not an easy thing to do. Got a good spurring on my hand. It was grizzly and I was slap worn out. It was in a boggy area and the boot on the head did nothing. Good thing that it wasn't videoed. The last straw was in TX on a Rio. I had doubled on two birds and one of them woke up at the car after I carried him for 10 minutes. I had to bash him with a rock to finish him off. I hated that he wasn't finished off before I carried him out. He either played possum or was knocked out cold. Gil
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

GLS wrote:I started carrying the shiv a few years after I had a fight to the death with a swamp turkey. I was shooting my old 835, and emptied it as he did a slow death trot away from me. I hauled ass after him, knocked him down, and he got up. I had no shells left. I tried to whack him with a rotten stick, but it broke in my hands. I jumped him and broke his neck with my hands, not an easy thing to do. Got a good spurring on my hand. It was grizzly and I was slap worn out. It was in a boggy area and the boot on the head did nothing. Good thing that it wasn't videoed. The last straw was in TX on a Rio. I had doubled on two birds and one of them woke up at the car after I carried him for 10 minutes. I had to bash him with a rock to finish him off. I hated that he wasn't finished off before I carried him out. He either played possum or was knocked out cold. Gil
Lmao thinking how that went down! My question is how you get that pick into his head? I have only shot birds with hevi shot and tss. And when I approach the bird, if he is still alive I used to just pick him up and ring his neck. After losing a bird last year that went down without a flop and came to life only to fly away after I picked him up, tss used, I now put a boot down if there is any flopping. Having only shot birds with hevi shot and tss. Most of the time there is no doubt and no need to rush out to the bird, but A boot does prevent any unneeded thrashing.

Return to “2016 Gobbler Nation Turkey Hunting Contest”