870 20ga camo paint job

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
3toe

870 20ga camo paint job

Post by 3toe »

After a trial run on a single shot I had, I finally got the nerve to paint my brand new TSS slinger. I am happy, I think it turned out pretty good for a rookie painter. I hunt in a lot of pines and thick bottoms, so that is kind of the theme I was trying to go with. I went with a khaki base and earth brown and forest green to keep it on the darker side.

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 870 20ga camo paint job

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

WOW it looks GREAT !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Not too shabby,.... actually, pretty dam good and neat pattern!!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

That will blend in good, don't lay it down,,,lol
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Sweet paint job. Now you can lay em down........they will never see you coming!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

That Looks Great ! Well Done ! :thumbup:

vaturkey :struttin:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Looks great

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Nice job. Rattle cans and natural grass as stencils?
3toe

Post by 3toe »

GLS wrote:Nice job. Rattle cans and natural grass as stencils?
I used pine boughs for a stencil. I'll give a short version of what I did for those that may think of trying it. I used Krylon camoflauge paints in khaki, earth brown, and forest green. Valspar flat clear coat. I have about $25 in the whole job.

I broke the gun down and cleaned every thing that was going to be painted with acetone and a clean rag. I wore powder free rubber gloves while doing this so as to not get any oil off my hand on the newly cleaned surface. I then taped off all the areas that were not be painted, again wearing gloves. This is the most time consuming part. Take it slow here. When you think its clean, clean it again. And again. If it's not cleaned right and all the oils removed the paint will not stick.

I then laid down as a base coat the lightest color, which was my khaki. It has about 3 coats before it had even coverage. Using a hair dryer or box fan will expedite the drying, just make sure it is dry before laying down the next coat. The pic below is after one coat. I didn't take a pic after full coverage for some reason.

After the base coat was dry, I came back with my earth brown. I laid the pine bough up to the gun and shot it at about 3" off the gun. The closer the paint is shot the more defined the lines are. The further away you hold the can the more blurry a line will be. I just shot a line down the gun and repeated till I got the coverage and pattern I wanted.

After the brown was dry, I came back and did the same thing with the forest green.

After all the pieces were dry, I cleared it with several coats of Valspar Flat clear coat. Once dry I re-assembled the gun. I debated on whether to clear it or not, but on my test gun I didn't and the painted didn't hold up well. I am pleased with the durability so far of this job since I cleared it. I will add, the Valspar flat once dry there was a minor sheen. Most wouldn't have cared but it bothered me. I used some 400 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded it. This took the sheen out. I oiled her up and she is ready to hunt.

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nice job! Looks good.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

When I did a single-shot 20 gauge project last summer, I tried painting after degreasing with brake cleaning fluid and didn't get a satisfactory bond with Krylon primer and paints. I ended up sanding it all off down to bare metal, re-primed, painted and it is far more durable than before. Hope yours works out for you. One thing about the rattle-can finishes is that they are easily repairable and cheap to do. No two jobs are alike...
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

That looks awesome!!!!

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

Looks great, I sure as heck couldn't do it...
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

You did a great job
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

That looks fantastic! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Grizzly Johnson

Post by Grizzly Johnson »

Very well done, looks GREAT!!!
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Nice
Mike
FireDoc

Post by FireDoc »

Looks fantastic!
VA (41 yards)

Post by VA (41 yards) »

Looks great
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Very nice job !
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Someone has been spelunking the old threads for this one--OP is almost three years ago.
This is a good place to repost this info from a professional painter and his advice on rattle-can jobs. The big points are attention to preparation and allowing the paint to cure for at least a month (if you can) before use. Here’s what he had to say:
"Thanks for answering my question and I'll explain why I asked you. I'm a bodyman/painter by trade, I've been doing it for about 20 years. I've mainly made my living doing custom work like airbrushing, handlettering, pinstriping and graffics. Bikes, brain buckets, boats, etc. I experimented A LOT with different types of paints over the years for different types of appilcations. I'm telling this about myself so you don't think I'm some Joe-Blow giving bad advise about paint, which I see plenty of on this forum. So when ever I see someone having a paint related problem, I usually like to chime in and give my two bits.

I've never used Rustoluim BBQ paint myself, but what happened to your paint job I don't really think can be blamed on the paint itself. I'm assuming that the BBQ paint is probably an enamel based product and when it was fully dried it would have stood up to giving it a quick wipe down with oil. I think you just did it too soon, the oil started breaking down the paint and interrupted the drying/curing process. That's probably why it continued to leave black on your hands for days after.

I'll give you guys a little painting 101. There basically two types of paint out there, one-part and two-part paints. One part-paint is a paint that dries through evaporation; the one-part means there is nothing to add to it, the one-part is the paint itself. Two-part paints cure through a chemical reaction, they have to have an activator(also known as hardener or catalyst) to make them cure. The first-part is the paint and the second-part is the activator. One-part and two-parts apply to all paints weather it is latex, laquer, enamels, urethanes or epoxys. Two-part paints with be more durable in the long run and will be highly solvent resistant compared to one-part paints. Notice I said one dries and one cures...

But not everyone wants or is going to spray two part-paints, esp when spray bombs are quick, easy and cheap. But I'll give you guys a few pointers to make spray bomb paint fairly durable.

I noticed a few people were saying that Rusty brand BBQ scratches easily and flakes off. I'm guessing people are spraying it over bare metal, even if the directions say you can, it's probably not a good idea. As far a I know, there is no true DTM(direct to metal) paint on the market in a spray can. You have to get into two-part paints for a true DTM paint, even then it's not always 100% it's not going to flake off. Check out local auto-body supply stores and look for metal-etching primer in the spray can, it's usually farily cheap and it goes a long way.

Here are some simple steps to make sure your paint job will turn out great.

1-Degrease. Do this as many times as nessecary, also never let the degreaser dry. Wipe the excess off or blow off with compressed air.
2- Scuff/sand areas really well.
3-Blow off with compressed air; if you don't have an air compressor, compressed air in a can works very well(the stuff from computer stores).
4-Tack surface
5-Etch prime all bare metal.
6-Spray paint according to diections.
7-Let it become dry to the touch.

The last step is the hardest step of all, but simply put...KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF IT FOR 2-3 WEEKS, even better a month. I know this part is espially hard when you just got done building your new gun. Even two-part paints take 3-4 weeks to FULLY cure. I like to paint snowmobile hoods during the summer and bike tanks during the winter, it gives the paint time to fully cure and give the customer their moneys worth. But it is the hardest thing to get through to my customers; when it gets all nice and warm, that's when everyone wants their bikes painted."
Gil
chipper

Post by chipper »

Awesome job! :cheers: :struttin:
gatrkyhntr

Post by gatrkyhntr »

That looks great!
Vintage

Post by Vintage »

Looks great.
It is what it is.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

That turned out pretty good. I got a couple that I need to do. My Mossberg 500 12 gauge and a Stevens 320 12 gauge. The Mossberg is camo but, chipped in places bad, and the Stevens is all black.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"

Return to “DIY”