lighted nocks

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
ArkansasDon

lighted nocks

Post by ArkansasDon »

I build them for my wife Sally's arrows. Carbon Express 150's. I'm not much into lited nocks.
bobber lites, I use rubber stops, I buy the metal nock collars, & extra nocks
epoxy glue is a must
I like to use a spiral wire brush to prep the inside of the arrow shaft. Then clean the interior of the preped shaft with a adhesive , acrylic cleaner purchased from a auto body paint store.
I like to use the rubber stops because the rubber cushions the battery from the force of the arrow being released. The rubber needs to be preped correctly for the epoxy to adhere. I've had problems with solid stops bending the battery or damaging it. The rubber I think is better. I like to make a guide to set the stops at the correct dept inside of the arrow shafts. Then I know that stops are at its right place inside the shafts.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: lighted nocks

Post by Hoobilly »

thats right on cool!
does a bobber light turn off after a while? I have never used one before..
thanks for posting Don
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

you pull the nock off, pull up on the light it clicks off you slide the nock down just about 2/3rd's before it seats on the arrow shaft. When you nock the arrow & release the arrow from the bow, the nock slide the rest of the way to be seated and turns on the bobber light. They work great. I've been doing them for my wife about 4yrs now.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I would truly appreciate it if you could do a tutorial on how to make them. Im shooting a crossbow with flat nock's and just cant stand to spend 10 apiece for the Lumenock's. Thanks.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

That is bad ass!! I too am interested in the full process as to how you did this. That is if you don't mind telling us
Pass the biscuits!!
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

yeah man, that is cool!
step by step would be awesome!
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

Brilliant
pdqt

Post by pdqt »

Real neat Don. Do they hold up a while?
Trapperscott

Post by Trapperscott »

That's the ticket. I'd like to see a tutorial on how to exactly build these myself. That is just to cool Don.
Trapperscott

Post by Trapperscott »

Where did Don go?
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Don has not posted in a while. He is not banned and is welcome here. We added a forum per his recommendation that has worked out good. I wish he would come back.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Me too, he's got to finish this lesson!!
Pass the biscuits!!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Where ya at Don? Your family misses you.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Dremel or piece of a hack saw blade, Dremel use cut off wheel and grinder bit. Small File or 240 gr. sand paper
Super Glue is OK but I like 4 min. epoxy
Nocks I like clear ones, but amber ones work too.
Arrow shafts
Packet of bobber lights push pull for on/off
Small Rubber stoppers a little under ¼” across
Spiral wire brush to prep the inside of the arrow shaft
acrylic cleaner purchased from a auto body supply store or acetone will work too.
Note: if you cant find small rubber stoppers then the bottom half of your extra nocks will work fine. I’ll explain using on both.

1st I like to prep the interior of my arrow shafts with a spiral wire brush. I like to use a product on a Q-tip acrylic cleaner or acetone to clean the interior of the shaft prep-ed. Take the bobber lite out and check if it is working.

Using Rubber stopper: I like to use the rubber stops because the rubber cushions the battery from the force of the arrow being released. The rubber needs to be preped correctly for the epoxy to adhere. I've had problems with solid stops bending the battery or damaging it. The rubber I think is better. I like to make a guide to set the stops at the correct dept inside of the arrow shafts. Then I know that stops are at its right place inside the shafts. To make the guide for the dept of the stopper I like using a 16 penny nail, cut the point off or file it flat to 1 1/8 “ over all to the bottom of the nail head. The dept is about a 1 1/8”. Clean the rubber with acrylic cleaner or acetone, lightly scuff the rubber stoppers sides only. Apply a thin coat of 4 minute epoxy glue and with you nail dept gauge slowly push until the nail bottoms out. Come back with a q-tip with acetone & clean off any left over epoxy glue from the sides of the interior of the arrow shaft. Make sure all of it is clean or you won’t get the nock to work properly. Let dry for 24 hrs. I like the battery lite to fit loosely what supports the battery is the nock. Slide the nock over the battery, making sure your battery lite is in the off postion, don’t seat the nock all the way down you want at least 1/8 to 3/16” of the nock shaft still exposed.

W/O Rubber Stopper: Make sure your battery of the light fits in the nock, too tight you need to drill it to fit. Be careful there are some nocks have a plastic inset strengthens it up. With a dremel cut off wheel or hack saw blade you will get a little plastic burs. De-bur it with a pocket knife or a piece of sand paper if the battery will fit snuggly after the de-buring.
If your battery fits loose you can leave the melted burs that is inside the hole to help support the battery firmly, clean it with acetone or acrylic cleaner and apply the 4 minute epoxy glue to only the sides of the nock (lower piece you cut). To insert the lower piece slide the lited battery inside the piece of the nock you cut & glue clicking the light off by lifting up slowly push the it until 5/16” is exposed at the top of the shaft. That’s 5/16” of battery exposed. Remove the battery and with a q-tip & acetone clean the inner walls of the shaft of excess glue. Let dry for 24 hrs Make sure the inner walls of the shaft is clean of glue or you nock will not slide smoothly.

Experiment with 1 shaft only, it might need to be tweaked a bit for your shaft.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Thanks Don. Good to hear from ya.
sugarray

Post by sugarray »

I found a YouTube video a couple of years ago with this. That guy glued the nock to the light that way you pull the nock out and it turns off the light. I tried to make them, but my arrows are too small for the bobber light to fit in.

Return to “DIY”