Backyard Archery Target

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

Got started on one of my 3'x3'x11" backyard archery targets this afternoon. Frame is together, next will probably be the legs. I'm doing most with just left over pieces from different projects around the house.

Materials can vari, depending on what you have laying around the house.

Will post updates as I go.

Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Backyard Archery Target

Post by Grumpy »

Rocky Boy Reservation must have done your dovetail joints!
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

Grumpy wrote:Rocky Boy Reservation must have done your dovetail joints!
??
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

What do you put in the frame? I use to take corrugated sheets used to make boxes and compress them.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

Gobbler wrote:What do you put in the frame? I use to take corrugated sheets used to make boxes and compress them.
Pack with old cloths (just have to remove the buttons snaps, and zippers, etc). Pack as best you can, and as you shoot they will pack more, then just add a bit more, until it's packed tight. Planning on putting a door in the top for packing.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

sweet!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Barry, Back in the day of my archery shooting, we used this thing called a Pro Mat.
It looked alot like what you are making. It had a kevlar mesh back which stopped practice points cold, but broadheads kept on going. Never could figure that out, cause the practice points did not even penetrate.
12 inhes in front of it was two layers staggered about 4 inches of what looked like badmitton racket screens to hold the arrows in place.
I think I still have it somewhere, if I do I'll take a pic.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Shooter wrote:Barry, Back in the day of my archery shooting, we used this thing called a Pro Mat.
It looked alot like what you are making. It had a kevlar mesh back which stopped practice points cold, but broadheads kept on going. Never could figure that out, cause the practice points did not even penetrate.
12 inhes in front of it was two layers staggered about 4 inches of what looked like badmitton racket screens to hold the arrows in place.
Cool, Yeah, I had sort of an idea of trying to find maybe an old mat of some sort (maybe conveyer belt) and attach to the back, to slow anything that might pass thru down to a halt.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

I know I've been slow to update this thread, but I finally got a little time to get back to work on it (that, and my little target just ain't cutting it anymore).

I used poly chicken fencing, instead of metal chicken wire (I'm still convinced that metal chicken wire could hurt your arrows), and stretched it tight in both sides. This helps as reinforcement to keep the stuffing in.

Next I put down a double layer of 5 MIL tarp, and secured it.

Then it got dark, so I will have to continue tomorrow.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Hey, Where is my turkey tote "Bitch"?

Oooops that slipped.

Great lookin target. We saw where Quinn and his dad killed a double. You done anything during bow season?

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

Johndoe wrote:Hey, Where is my turkey tote "Bitch"?

Oooops that slipped.

Great lookin target. We saw where Quinn and his dad killed a double. You done anything during bow season?

John
Ha, I haven't forgotten about you, I promise.

I haven't struck yet, only been able to hunt about 3 times, but hopefully I will draw blood soon!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

slickyboyboo wrote:
Shooter wrote:Barry, Back in the day of my archery shooting, we used this thing called a Pro Mat.
Cool, Yeah, I had sort of an idea of trying to find maybe an old mat of some sort (maybe conveyer belt) and attach to the back, to slow anything that might pass thru down to a halt.

Well Barry, I finally got this thing out. It had been put away for 20 to 25 years, and was filthy and broken in the corners.
Had to get it out after Lily found out from Granny that I shot in the world Champs in the early 80s, and was famous,... Yea right,..lol.
She said, we have been married 3 years and did not know you even had a bow.

Six or so shots and it blew up in my face. String broke. Busted my lip all the way through in the middle of my mustache, still hurts. I guess sitting in a bow case for over 20 years isn't good for them,...lol.

These backstops were very popular in the late 70s thru the 80s. You could order them from most any outdoor shop.

Hope this helps you out a little, or gives you some more ideas.
Attachments
Picture 1024.jpg
Picture 1024.jpg (264.47 KiB) Viewed 6951 times
Picture 1023.jpg
Picture 1023.jpg (245.04 KiB) Viewed 6951 times
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Cool target!
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Meant to add this pic the other day, got it framed out, now I just need to add wheel & legs to level it, and cut the hole in the top to fill it. Slow but making progress!

slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

Finally getting some good weather to finish this thing. Finished facing the back, installed wheels, and cut the hole in the top, going to try to finish this thing up this week if possible.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

To heck with the backstop,.... Get that dang bag of Charcoal going, and I'll be over in an hour,...LOL!!
Naw, really,... What did you decide to stuff that with?? Bows of the past were not that hard to stop arrows, but these new high speed 250fps, 300, and even 350fps bows. It is gonna be difficult to stop.
Ha, my bows back in the day were running around 180fps, and that was quick then.
That new X-bow I bought, slings 20" arrows at 325fps, and my compressed high dollar broadhead backstop will not stop them. I had to compress it more and glue another thick piece of foam on the front.
Looking good though. Keep us posted how it does.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Shooter wrote:To heck with the backstop,.... Get that dang bag of Charcoal going, and I'll be over in an hour,...LOL!!
Naw, really,... What did you decide to stuff that with?? Bows of the past were not that hard to stop arrows, but these new high speed 250fps, 300, and even 350fps bows. It is gonna be difficult to stop.
Ha, my bows back in the day were running around 180fps, and that was quick then.
That new X-bow I bought, slings 20" arrows at 325fps, and my compressed high dollar broadhead backstop will not stop them. I had to compress it more and glue another thick piece of foam on the front.
Looking good though. Keep us posted how it does.
I had it cranked up on Sun evening, and man were the burgers good, may cook up a few more tonight. LOL

I have several bags of old clothes that I was planning to get rid of, and a few others have given me some bags of clothes as well. I have seen several folks make these targets only 8" wide, using the clothes as stuffing for the targets, and they are stopping arrows at well above 300 fps. I just hope I have enough clothes to stuff it. LOL
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

Got the legs and handle finished up today, so it's basically done, just have to fill it, and put the top on.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I'm just wondering if it may try to tip over from a high hit,....hmmmm? I guess it depends on how heavy it is after you get it all stuffed.
May end up having to extend the axles and the wooden leg. May not be a problem at all.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backyard Archery Target

Post by slickyboyboo »

I think it will do fine, it's pretty heavy, and seems really stable. I have it about 2/3 full, and it should weigh 150-200 lbs when done. It isn't near as narrow as the pics make it look.

Return to “DIY”