Home made tube call

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
barry

Home made tube call

Post by barry »

First of all find a can that is suitable.
I like DOANS pills cans, both big and small and old GRAPHITE cans like the ones below. The DOANS cans can be found on ebay. GRAPHITE cans take a stroke of luck to find.

First tools you will need…
Flat files – medium and fine
Emery cloth (sand paper is okay)
Small vise to hold can
Magic Marker & Straight edge…a ruler works fine

Mark a line across top of can lid, on large DOANS and GRAPHITE cans I center my line, on small DOANS cans I put my line just off center. I like to make my opening on small cans just a touch over half the size of the lid, this just seems to work better for me.

Wrap can in paper towel to avoid any unnecessary scratching while in vise. Snug can in vise and with file on a 45 degree angle score the line marked on lid. Once line is scored lay file flat and file top edge of lid on the side you want the opening to be. Switch back and forth from filing lid to filing your scored line to cut evenly. When you first see an opening appear switch over to fine file

In just minutes you will cut thru lid edge as seen in pics below, then you can bend the half you want cut out back and forth until it breaks. BE CAREFUL the edge will cut you!
Use your fine file to smooth edges and finish by sanding edges with some emery cloth.

You should now have a can very similar to ones in picture below.

Now you will need access to a drill press. I like to drill four to six 3/16 inch holes in the bottom for air flow, 2 more holes in the side opposite each other to run a string thru to carry call around your neck. You can also drill 4-6 more holes randomly around the side to give it more tone. Sand all drilled holes with emery cloth.

Now for the finishing touch. You will need some beverage tubing – found at LOWES – a pair of ratcheting clippers and some latex. Latex can be found in the form of rubber gloves, dental damn, balloons and yes, even condoms. I prefer Thera-Band exercise latex in red and yellow. Use clippers to cut tubing into 3/16 “ rings. "O" Rings can also be used to hold latex on can.

Pull latex snug, not tight, over opening and slide plastic ring, or "O" Ring, over to hold in place

I like to place my latex to allow for a “half moon” opening as seen below and you’re ready to call.

End result.

If you prefer I can make one for you...$20 shipped to your door
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Home made tube call

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

nice work barry :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Barry, the "O" ring you make is innovative. Nice job. Years ago, we used to make the tube out of 35 mm. plastic film cans and tops. Gil
barry

Post by barry »

GLS wrote:Barry, the "O" ring you make is innovative. Nice job. Years ago, we used to make the tube out of 35 mm. plastic film cans and tops. Gil
The "O" ring idea came to me out of neccessity. Old time tube callers would use the lid of the can to hold the latex in position.
With my phyiscal disability I was not able to do that, so I found me an old plastic pill bottle cap that would fit my can and had someone cut it to fit. Turns out it makes it both easier to place the latex on the call and easier to tune as well.

The 35 mm cans will definitely kill a turkey. The metal cans just have a better sound IMO
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

i used to make these with a latex glove, a 35 mm film bottle, and a rubber band.
nice DIY
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Home made tube call

Post by drenalinld »

Nice step by step Barry!
barry

Post by barry »

Turkey Talker wrote:i used to make these with a latex glove, a 35 mm film bottle, and a rubber band.
nice DIY
I've run these before too and they sound surprisingly good!
FOX FIRE

Post by FOX FIRE »

I have one of Mr. Barry's calls & it sounds reaal good, told me he hid a old hen in ther to make it sound that way.

Enjoyed the write up, good stuff.
When I was just a baby my mama told me son, always be a good boy & dont ever play with guns.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Tomatoes must be bait?
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

Excellent How to...
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Return to “DIY”