Addicted?

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
birddogdad

Addicted?

Post by birddogdad »

well i am new to this site but decided to post up! Really have missed out on Turkeys over the years, am retired Navy and now am addicted to spring gobblers! Originally from upstate NY but now have roots in the Pacific NW. My hunting partner, also retired Navy and i are starting our quest in different states for Turkeys. I have just pimped out my enclosed motorcycle trailer for this spring. Our first adventure is all public land hunts in Northern California end of March for a week around Lake Shasta, then back to Washington for our opener and finally Idaho for late spring seasons. So far, I have only hunted central WA for turkeys and branching out to other areas very much interests me. Hope some of the recommendations we have been given work out! Future plans will be to spread out and travel around the country as time allows for turkeys... Son is stationed in Georgia at Ft Stewart and if his deployment schedules allow, i am working to get to FL in '21with him but that will be another story!

Bruce
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Addicted?

Post by guesswho »

Welcome, and thank you and your Son for your service. Good luck to you and your hunting partner. Safe travels and have fun. Be sure and post some pictures of your adventures.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Welcome!! Go online to youtube and look up Pinhoti Project for some hunting ideas in the Northwest US. Just remember, Dave Owens is not an ordinary turkey hunter and redefines "Addicted".
birddogdad

Post by birddogdad »

Oh yea, Dave has me fired up for sure. I have reached out and told him so already.. i see "Cove" posts up here too!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Birddogdad,

Welcome to the forum. I'm a former Navy submariner myself from many years ago. Can't give you much insight in your neck of the woods. Live in South Florida where we hunt the swamp and a little in Oklahoma on a family farm.

Thanks for your service and your son's!
Don
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Welcome and hope you have safe and successful trips this spring. I hunt numerous states a spring and a few more in the fall. Traveling to new locations and environments are always fun in my opinion.
birddogdad

Post by birddogdad »

Swampstalk wrote: February 28th, 2020, 4:00 pm Birddogdad,

Welcome to the forum. I'm a former Navy submariner myself from many years ago. Can't give you much insight in your neck of the woods. Live in South Florida where we hunt the swamp and a little in Oklahoma on a family farm.

Thanks for your service and your son's!
i was too. 3 classes, 6 boats, 30 year sub guy here.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Had a feeling being in Washington. Was a TM and diver on two Boomers, 609 and 643 from '71-'75. Went through overall in Charleston then transfer, before 609 was transferred to going to Hawaii, for a patrol on 643 before I got out. Though I've hunted most of my life my son got me into turkeys a few years back. It's an addiction and I love! Our season starts next weekend!
Don
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Meant "Overhaul">
Don
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Good to see you here birddogdad. Thank you for yours and your son's service. My nephew is stationed in Washington as a machinist's mate on a Boomer. He was recently switched to another boat, but I can't recall which and he's out to sea currently, so I'll have to wait to ask.

My great uncle, B.D. Claggett was a submarine commander in WWII aboard the USS Dace. Dace and sister ship, Darter, fired the first shots in the battle of Leyte Gulf by the Palawan Passage in October 1944, which alerted the allies to the location of the Japanese fleet.

Good luck & have fun on the turkeys this Spring.

Jim
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a good spring planned. Good luck!
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:

Return to “DIY”