Almost Done

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Almost Done

Post by HunterGKS »

Last August through November, 2018, I had a large barn taken down. When they left, in November, all that was left for them to do was the final clean-up & grading. It was too muddy last fall & this spring was so rainy, 30”+, that the area was still too muddy. The rain finally stopped & the area is dry. I spoke with the boss & they will be coming out to finish it up. There are a lot of large stones that they will set aside for me as I have some projects in mind.

My neighbor came over this morning, 08/26/2019, to start the final clean up & grading of the old barn site. The plan was to use a rototiller. After looking over the area, he decided it would be better to start with a chisel plow as the area was very rough. The amount of debris that the plow dug up was amazing & disappointing. I thought the original company would do a lot better then they did with the clean-up.

Some of the rocks that were uncovered were so large they had to get a back hoe to pick them up & move them.

It started to sprinkle when they started to rototill keeping the dust down. The area looks really god but there are still rocks & other stuff to pick up before they come in with a drag to level it off. It’s supposed to rain the rest of today & all day tomorrow so it will be a few days before it is dry enough to get out & pick up the remaining debris & run the drag. Then, it’s on to the seeding.

I spent about 4 ½ hours picking up rocks & other stuff & hauling it to the rip rap pile. I confirmed something I already knew. I’m smart enough to know I’m too damned old to be doing this stuff but not smart enough to stop doing it. I’ve always had a pedal-to-the-metal mentality & I think it’s time to slow down. I’ve been paying the price for my folly today.

After the final dragging work is done, I will have the area seeded as soon as possible. I will build the shooting range & have a new barn built, hopefully before this winter.

What the area looked like before starting the chisel plowing.
01.JPG
The chisel plow.
02.JPG
03.JPG
The back hoe.
04.JPG
05.JPG
The rototiller.
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
After rototilling.
09.JPG
10.JPG
The last 4 are of the rocks & debris that we picked up.
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Almost Done

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good job. G-hogs will make home in them rocks. Lol
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: August 27th, 2019, 6:07 pm Good job. G-hogs will make home in them rocks. Lol
There's a big pile of concrete, rocks, & other such stuff there. I just added to the pile.
And yes, it has been groundhog central in the past but only 1 this year. Don't know
where they've gotten to.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

MMMMMMMM .. what did you expect .. been there and done that way so many times :banghead:
You have a great neighbor :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
And ya' got no more shootin' at the critters, but let me know, cause my MI buddy has em' thinned downed there also to about extinction, but I still I may be able to git' a few and transplant em' fom there fer' ya' :LMAO: :LMAO: :stir:

Oh, I forget's to say, " LOOKIN GOOD" :thumbup: :cheers: :D

Now ya' don't have to plant "NAVY GRASS" ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

IF I NEVER PICK UP ANOTHER ROCK, IT WILL BE TOO SOON!!!!!!

I had planned to finish cleaning up the barn area today but, after mowing the yard yesterday afternoon,
I checked the area & it was dry enough to play “Pick-up-Rocks.” It’s a good thing I did as they came over
with the drag, which is basically a harrow, when I was about ½ ways done.

I was really surprised at how many more rocks were out there after all we had picked up Monday, 6 more
big loads. I sure am glad I got the dump bed when I bought my Polaris. It has more than paid for itself.
There are still some small rocks but, from what I have been told, the earth pulverizer that the landscape
people use should take care of them. The only thing left to have done is sowing the seed & strawing it,
hopefully next week.
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG
George

gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

It DOESN'T matter how many rocks you pick .... There is a china-man Pushing them up from the Other Side! :violent1:
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

gblrsrst wrote: August 29th, 2019, 9:37 am It DOESN'T matter how many rocks you pick .... There is a china-man Pushing them up from the Other Side! :violent1:
TRUE DAT!!!! The section on the west side of the property had been under tillage. The
squared off the property which included that section. When I 1st moved in, I spent a day
picking up rocks & got them all. The next day, there were that many more out there!!!!
I think I wore that old boy out as there have been no mo rocks in that area since I picked
up the last bunch.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

RON!!!! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!! YOU P.O.ed THAT LITTLE FELLER THAT LIVE BELOW ME!!!!
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

How many beers it take to get this done????
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: August 29th, 2019, 6:08 pm How many beers it take to get this done????
Actually, only a couple & only after we were done for the day.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

HunterGKS wrote: August 29th, 2019, 6:12 pm
OLE RASPY wrote: August 29th, 2019, 6:08 pm How many beers it take to get this done????
Actually, only a couple & only after we were done for the day.
Lol. 10-4
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “DIY”