Handicapped turkey hunter

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
Writerjill

Handicapped turkey hunter

Post by Writerjill »

Several years ago I woke up nearly deaf in my left ear. Doctors couldn't fix it. Now I can't courses turkeys, this has turned me from a turkey hunter to a shooter dependent on someone else pointing me in the right direction. How do other hearing challenged hunters handle this problem?
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Handicapped turkey hunter

Post by redarrow »

Totally deaf in my right ear. Windy days suck. Check into a bicross hearing aid.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Can't hear gobbling at a distance, 100 yds pushes it. Got a hearing aid for my right ear this summer and will see if it helps next spring??? :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

I have 20% hearing in my left ear and 40% in my right , I have a new set of hearing aids that are super.
Aids cant help my left side so they fixed me up with one that send everything to my right side, a Crossover is what the audiologist called it
and I can hear again..
I can actually hear some sounds as good or better than I ever could ,such as a Gobble :cheers:
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

my hearing aids help,,,,,,,,,

now I am blind in left eye (hopefully temporary),,,,,,,,

next spring could be "interesting",,,,,,,,,,,,
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

I have hearing loss in both ears. I wear my hearing aids covers by the Ashby sound amplifying muffs but I still can hear on windy days.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've started to develop ringing in my left ear. It concerns me quite a bit. I wonder what my future turkey and elk hunting will look, or better yet sound, like in 5 or 10 years.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My ears ring constantly. LOTS of shooting early on without hearing protection and lots of hitting Iron with a beater! Ear protection was unheard of when I started as an Iron worker. I did use ear plugs for the last 25 years of work, when needed, and I don't shoot without hearing protection now. I don't know where I would be had I not did that! My Dad worked in the trade, as well, and he was damn near deaf! I don't wear hearing aids, but I probably should!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Hearing aids in both ears now and still adjusting and struggle to hear gobblin' for more that 100yds.
Have to turn them down when I can hear one commin' in .. or else :banghead:
Still, my hearing is very directional at best, and have to reply on seeing the tom to know exactly where he gobbled from :cry: :shock: :?
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

soiltester wrote: January 29th, 2020, 9:01 am Hearing aids in both ears now and still adjusting and struggle to hear gobblin' for more that 100yds.
Still, my hearing is very directional at best, and have to reply on seeing the tom to know exactly where he gobbled from :cry: :shock: :?
My hearing aids are set up with the Touch Control App and you can control directional hearing. Check with your audiologist. They may be able to help you out with that.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Realwarrior wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 12:06 am
soiltester wrote: January 29th, 2020, 9:01 am Hearing aids in both ears now and still adjusting and struggle to hear gobblin' for more that 100yds.
My hearing aids are set up with the Touch Control App and you can control directional hearing. Check with your audiologist. They may be able to help you out with that.
I've got the cheaper model that you adjust volume on one, of either hearing aid's and thy both adjust. ;)

Return to “DIY”