DIY Wad Cutter

For all the Gobbler Nation "do-it-yourselfers".
alpha burnt

DIY Wad Cutter

Post by alpha burnt »

Looking around at Tractor Supply the other day and found some 1/16" cork gasket material in a roll. I thought it would be good to have the ability to make my own cork wads, tried to find a wad cutter, but no luck. I went to the plumbing section and found a brass 1/2" Hose Bard to 3/8" Male Pipe Thread (Part #BF10) and thought it may work. I took it home and ground the O.D. at an angle to the I.D. and kept going to it was decently sharp. I then used it on the gasket material and measured it and compared it with some reloading components.
The barb end punched/twisted a wad that could be used as an overshot card for the .410 as the end diameter was right at .400". The pipe thread end punched/twisted a wad that could be used as a shot cup inner base wad for the 28 gauge and the diameter was .475".
It is slow going but it does work by just twisting by hand and pressing, using the cork gasket as cutting material on an old phone book.
I also purchased a 1/4" threaded steel pipe nipple and done the same. It makes a perfect punch/twist for making shot cup inner base/cushion wads for .410, that measure .350".
Hope this helps someone, remember poor people have poor ways LOL!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: DIY Wad Cutter

Post by GLS »

Good thinking. I've made osc cutters out of an old screw-in choke for 20 gauge. The breech end is thin and sharp enough to cut through milk jug plastic or cardboard. It also helps making a clean cut to cut into the grain end of piece of wood rather than with the grain. Pistol brass in various calibers can also be used as punches. Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Great info! Its always good to figure out ways to make things yourself. Some people don't even consider that as an option.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

The brass should not be used as punches! Ask me how I know LOL. These function fine when using to twist or cut by hand pressure but I was trying to use them to cut down Nitro card material and over shot cards. Tried using a hammer and an end grain block of wood, this did not work. Just a heads up. For cork and felt, they work fine though.

Return to “DIY”